Wednesday TeaDay 10/15/08 TeaChat TeaRoots?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is about your TeaChat TeaRoots. What was your favorite type of tea when you first joined TeaChat?

Black and it did NOT change soon after joining
19%
Black and it did change soon after joining
20%
Oolong and it did NOT change soon after joining
17%
Oolong and it did change soon after joining
2%
Green and it did NOT change soon after joining
20%
Green and it did change soon after joining
3%
White/yellow and it did NOT change soon after joining
2%
White/yellow and it did change soon after joining
2%
Pu-erh and it did NOT change soon after joining
5%
Pu-erh and it did change soon after joining
No votes
Flavored and it did NOT change soon after joining
3%
Flavored and it did change soon after joining
3%
Herbal and it did NOT change soon after joining
2%
Herbal and it did change soon after joining
2%

Total votes: 59

Oct 15th, '08, 07:45

by olivierco » Oct 15th, '08, 07:45

Jack_teachat wrote:
olivierco wrote:
Did you also buy their Keemun Xian Zhen?
No, would you recommend it?
I don't know. I was curious about this special keemun. I might order some but not right now because I have already plenty of keemun at home.

Oct 15th, '08, 08:02

by chad » Oct 15th, '08, 08:02

Grew up drinking he occassional cup of Lipton. :shock: Got introduced but not seduced by greens while living on Okinawa.

I appreciate all teas. This morning I'm working on a mug of Pai Mu Tan, white, with either an assam or darjeeling on deck.

Oct 15th, '08, 08:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 15th, '08, 08:58

A special session of Shi Feng Xi Hu Long Jing to start off the TeaDay. Adagio Nepal FF will be next.

Good TeaDay everyone!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 15th, '08, 09:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 15th, '08, 09:23

This morning I am starting with a new Nilgiri tea from Tao of Tea - Neela

I would like to encourage those who are fond of Darjeelings to give Nilgiri teas a try. This is a particularly light brew with a nice cinnamon finish. Very nice and the price is good too.

Have a nice day everyone!

Oct 15th, '08, 09:38

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 15th, '08, 09:38

I started TeaChat being a big fan of oolong, especially roasted ones and high mountain oolongs, and I still am; but then again i just joined like a month ago.
Since then I've had a fond appreciation for Ceylon Indian Black Teas, all thanks to a free sample from Plucker's Pick. I'm looking forward to trying out Indian teas, especially Assam, which from reading descriptions, seems like a tea that I would like.

Oct 15th, '08, 09:51
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 15th, '08, 09:51

oolong, without changing. I somewhat believe what kind of tea one prefers is directly related to ones internal physiological properties. One may hardly change preference unless there is dramatic change in life style such as diet composition.

But I do love all the other teas as well. Keemun red tea this morning.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 15th, '08, 10:12

by toastedtoads » Oct 15th, '08, 10:12

What if I don't have a favorite? I can't answer the poll. All summer I drank nothing but Ichiban Sencha. Now that we've got a lot of new Chinese black teas I can't stop drinking them. (Also got to try a new Chinese black called Wuyi Junmee that we sell for $175 for 52g). But I still come home and drink variations of Chinese greens and oolongs. I have a feeling when my puerh starts arriving in the mail (hopefully this week) that I'll be totally fascinated with that.

Now that I've sort of analyzed I realized I don't drink much Indian tea. Weird.

Currently drinking Keemun Mao Feng Treasure and eating pancakes.
Last edited by toastedtoads on Oct 15th, '08, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 15th, '08, 10:13

by kongni » Oct 15th, '08, 10:13

I've always been a green tea lover. Always will :)

Had some nice fukamushi shincha early in the morning. Sipping yunnan gold right now.

Oct 15th, '08, 10:20

by caligatia » Oct 15th, '08, 10:20

Black tea, hasn't changed in the few weeks I've been here. The difference is that I want to really explore black teas and try ones from all over the tea-growing world.

Brewing some Formosa lapsang right now. Wonderful stuff.

Oct 15th, '08, 10:28

by auggy » Oct 15th, '08, 10:28

Odd one out here - I voted "Green and it did change soon after joining" because I started drinking lower quality greens, was introduced to high quality oolongs, making me switch my tea preference. But then I started drinking higher quality greens and switched back. :)

After sucking down about 40oz of green tea yesterday evening, my sinus infection feels MUCH better. It is still there, but I no longer have that constant stabbing pain. So yay! And I brought some goodies to work to make some green during the day. I don't know if it is just drinking something hot that helps or if it the hot green that helps but either way, I'll be drinking green as that's what I've been in the mood for the past few weeks.

Earl Gray Bravo today.

Oct 15th, '08, 10:28

by Smari » Oct 15th, '08, 10:28

Sal - that photo is beautiful!

I started off with drinking a lot of Black teas but when I joined Teachat, I turned a whole different direction. I found a love for green teas and barely touched anymore black teas, strangely. I recently started being more open to Oolongs and I am quite fond of them- especially alishan & jasmine oolongs.

Started this morning off with Den's genmaicha and just finished a brew of Adagio's alishan.

Oct 15th, '08, 11:09

by geeber1 » Oct 15th, '08, 11:09

Victoria wrote:This morning I am starting with a new Nilgiri tea from Tao of Tea - Neela

I would like to encourage those who are fond of Darjeelings to give Nilgiri teas a try. This is a particularly light brew with a nice cinnamon finish. Very nice and the price is good too.

Have a nice day everyone!
I was going to order a sample of this one and the other two Nilgiris they have on their site, but then the shipping was more than the samples! And I live in Oregon! Maybe I'll take the plunge anyway, if you recommend it, I'm sure it's worth trying!

This morning Adagio Cinnamon. I voted that my first choice is black tea and is likely to stay that way, although I am also enjoying trying other teas as well.

Oct 15th, '08, 11:35

by Beidao » Oct 15th, '08, 11:35

Earlier today I've been drinking Long Jing for the taste and Yerba Mate for the caffeine. Now: Yunnan Gold. Next: Dan Cong Gui Hua (Osmanthus).

When I came here, I had never been drinking good quality greens and had never tasted an oolong. I drank black, a lot of herbals and I loved Baimudan. Now I'm into Dan Cong and other oolong, Puerh, Japanese and Chinese greens. It's been a long journey this half a year! I still am only half way and there's so much I've never tried... yellow tea, wuyi yancha, gyokuro.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Oct 15th, '08, 11:59

by leiche » Oct 15th, '08, 11:59

Oolong, always oolong. It's been my favorite since I was a little kid gulping down tiny cups of the stuff in Chinese restaurants. The main difference is that I no longer sweeten my tea. Maybe a little honey in black tea when my throat bothers me, but that's it.

So far, just a cup of Assam Harmutty with breakfast. Oolong soon!

Oct 15th, '08, 12:07

by cheaton » Oct 15th, '08, 12:07

Tried my first Oolong a long long time ago. Love them, always will. Teachat introduced me to traditional brewing methods and I'm not looking back. This morning some generic "Superior" Oriental Beauty Formosa Oolong in my cup. I buy it from the local Arabika coffee house.... go figure. However they just label it as "Oolong" and I had no idea what it was until I came here. Very good tea for the price I pay for it.