Dec 30th, '08, 20:14

by murrius » Dec 30th, '08, 20:14

I just drink the bubbles and throw the rest out. Is that wrong? :D

Dec 30th, '08, 20:17

by tenuki » Dec 30th, '08, 20:17

murrius wrote:I just drink the bubbles and throw the rest out. Is that wrong? :D
Bubble Tea!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 30th, '08, 20:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Dec 30th, '08, 20:39

I was approaching it as I game: What percentage of bubbles can I skim and still make it look effortless?

One day I'll be cool.

Dec 30th, '08, 21:06

by chamekke » Dec 30th, '08, 21:06

Chip wrote:
el padre wrote:I've never scraped off the bubbles, and there's noting wrong with me! :lol:
Could be a good poll! :lol:

Now I feel compelled to taste the bubbles.
I look forward to future reviews of the bubble flavours of various teas :)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Dec 30th, '08, 21:13
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Dec 30th, '08, 21:13

pesky loquacious bubble bloggers!

Dec 30th, '08, 21:16

by thanks » Dec 30th, '08, 21:16

Proinsias wrote:I was approaching it as I game: What percentage of bubbles can I skim and still make it look effortless?

One day I'll be cool.
:lol: I actually laughed pretty hard at this.

Jan 3rd, '09, 15:50
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 3rd, '09, 15:50

*ding ding ding*

The correct answer was to remove the saponin salts that form from brewing tea in hard water. The 'scum' bubbles due to surface tension of the fatty acids released from teas. Amount depends on tea origin, age and processing, and source water quality used in brewing your tea.

I suppose the film interferes with fragrance released during infusion. It probably forms a sticky film that deposits on the interior surfaces of the pot and this might be difficult to remove if the water is very hard.

Mar 4th, '20, 02:10

Re: Gongfu- bubble scraping... how come?

by Jian Lei » Mar 4th, '20, 02:10

I know this is a really old post - but here's my take.
Scraping off bubbles (which are caused by saponins IMHO), is necessary. The rinse with overflow is enough to remove any harsh saponin effect.

I personally think scraping developed as an aesthetic thing - the sound of a quality clay or porcelain pot is quite obvious.
Also a bit of theatrical 'business' to keep things interesting.

I personally never do it, as I can't abide the scraping sound, it sets my teeth on edge, and puts paid to any calm and enjoyment I otherwise gain. I'd never do it with guests anyway, as you have no way to know who will be jarred by the sound, and they'd probably never tell you.

If you rinse your leaves properly and make sure the pot overflows, you won't get bubbles unless the tea is particularly high in saponins... which would make it fairly unpalatable to me.
That's just my take, and I'm nobody in particular, so definitely not an expert, lol.

+ Post Reply