Matcha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '09, 11:33

by inspectoring » May 12th, '09, 11:33

rjiwrth wrote:Well, tried various water temps and amounts with the Ummon from Ippodo today and I just can't get it. Again, the cheaper version from my local shop was so much sweeter today when I gave it another several tries and I just can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. I love the fact that there's no fishiness to the Ummon and the flavor is fantastic...it's just missing the complexity I'm looking for.

I think I will order some matcha from Den's and give that a try against the Ummon. If I'm looking for the sweetness, would anyone have rec's? I was really looking for the best matcha I could find...guess I will keep up the search! On a more positive note, got my order of genmai cha from SA and WOWWWWIE! Chip, I didn't get a chance to try it because of the match over-load today (must have had 10 cups of the stuff). But, the aroma...holy cowies! I can't wait to try it.
I was really hoping that someone would try the miyabi. I think I have read one blog rating it at 5/10. But that is the only review I have.

May 12th, '09, 11:45

by tiegz » May 12th, '09, 11:45

I'm no macha expert (I usually buy whatever $10 can get me), but I was really impressed with TAFU NY's blend. I think a tin of it cost $35 and it was well worth it.

Saw them at the Coffee and Tea Expo here last year and apparently they've been selling tea in Japan for over 100 yrs-- every tea I try from them is excellent (albeit a little pricey). If you visit them, also check out their Golden Emperor kukicha.

May 12th, '09, 11:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 12th, '09, 11:49

inspectoring wrote:I was really hoping that someone would try the miyabi. I think I have read one blog rating it at 5/10. But that is the only review I have.
Well not really a "review" but I posted early in this thread that the Miyabi is now my favorite. It is very smooth and sweet, no bitterness, no astringency. It doesn't seem to want to froth *as much* as some others but that is not all that important. It does froth.
rjiwrth wrote:
Victoria wrote:For me my current favorite is from Den's. Their Matcha Miyabi is great and although a bit pricey, they beat an even pricier one I was using before. I'm really happy with this one.
Victoria, which matcha were you using before? Maybe I will give the Miyabi a try against Ippodo's Ummon-no-mukashi.
Sorry rjiwrth, I missed your post. The two others I tried were from O-Cha the Manten and the Kaoru Supreme. Both very good. But somehow the flavor of the Den's is better to me.

Jun 3rd, '09, 01:45

by Seeker » Jun 3rd, '09, 01:45

I've been using Wako matcha (I get it from Teance in Berkeley - great tea shop!!!);
But reading here, I just ordered some of Den's Miyabi.
I'm looking forward to tasting it and comparing.
Cheers!

Jun 3rd, '09, 03:38

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '09, 03:38

I hope you like it Seeker, let us know what you think.
:)

Jun 3rd, '09, 10:19

by thirtysixbelow » Jun 3rd, '09, 10:19

I didn't want to start a new thread, but hopefully someone can help me here. I just got my first try at matcha a few days ago. The taste is great but the texture varies so much. The first time I made it actually seemed the best, there was noticeable sediment throughout but it was even. The last 2 times I have made it my last sip or two is almost chunky :( I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be smooth and dissolved or does the powder stay solid and the goal is just even distribution?

Jun 3rd, '09, 10:26

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '09, 10:26

Are you using a sifter each time?

Jun 3rd, '09, 12:18

by woozl » Jun 3rd, '09, 12:18

I've been liking Ocha's kiri no mori.
Any recs. for trying my next matcha?
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Jun 3rd, '09, 12:33

by olivierco » Jun 3rd, '09, 12:33

woozl wrote:I've been liking Ocha's kiri no mori.
Any recs. for trying my next matcha?
Ippodo wakamatsu no mukashi (they only send via EMS but they have plenty of nice products...)

Jun 3rd, '09, 14:08

by Seeker » Jun 3rd, '09, 14:08

thirtysixbelow wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread, but hopefully someone can help me here. I just got my first try at matcha a few days ago. The taste is great but the texture varies so much. The first time I made it actually seemed the best, there was noticeable sediment throughout but it was even. The last 2 times I have made it my last sip or two is almost chunky :( I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be smooth and dissolved or does the powder stay solid and the goal is just even distribution?
Hi thirtysix,
Your describing an issue I've never had with the Wako.
Though I am a matcha beginner, and very excited about it I might add, I would
hazard a guess at one of the following: (as Vicroria suggests) not sifting, that you might be using too much powder/not enough water (powder-water ratio), review water temp.
The tea shop I frequent (Teance in Berkeley, also online - where I get my matcha) taught me to use boiling water for matcha. That works, and due to comments I have read on TeaChat (not necessarily this thread, but other matcha threads) I have been experimenting with lower water temps and having some great and intersting results with between 170 and 180 (thank you GeekGirl!!). I guess the point here might be - try different water temps - find a temp that is most conducive to great results with your particular matcha.
I pretty much never have to deal with sediment as an issue with the Wako (In Pursuit of Tea also sells this matcha - online).
Just thought of another possible cause? - perhaps review your whisking? - I believe it is of the utmost importance to use a chasen (bamboo whisk specifically for matcha). This also makes me wonder about thoroughness of whisking? And technique? I have been taught to whisk back and forth in a zig zag mountain and valley form, and to gradually deepen until I contact the bottom of the chawan. Also, I whisk using quick motions - not super vigorous, but something in the vigorous spectrum I suppose. This consistently works for me.
May your sediment problem quickly come to some delightful resolution!
Peace!

Jun 3rd, '09, 16:30

by Salsero » Jun 3rd, '09, 16:30

My impression is that matcha is always in suspension rather than dissolved in water, but the powder is so fine that it comes pretty close to the same thing, unless you let it sit for an hour and the tea settles to the bottom.

Nevertheless, you don't want clumps.

By the way, I loved a recent article in The Leaf online tea magazine about matcha. Mary Lou Heiss give some amazing information on page 4 about how the leaves are ground. She says that a matcha grinder can make only 15 grams of matcha per hour.

Jun 3rd, '09, 17:29

by woozl » Jun 3rd, '09, 17:29

Mary Lou and Robert are very knowledgeable.
I am fortunate to be 45 min. from their shop. :wink:
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Jun 3rd, '09, 20:36

buttery notes

by Seeker » Jun 3rd, '09, 20:36

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if any of you know of/have experienced matcha that has
pronounced buttery notes in the flavor.
If you know of such a matcha, I'd love to hear of it and try it.
I've been using Wako, and I've just ordered Den's Miyabi.
I'm quite fond of green teas that impart buttery notes as part of
their flavor experience.
Namaste.

BTW - loved the article from The Leaf!!!

Jun 3rd, '09, 22:03

by thirtysixbelow » Jun 3rd, '09, 22:03

Victoria wrote:Are you using a sifter each time?
This is the only thing I don't have. If a sifter makes a huge difference then I will have to get one. I'm using Kiri no mori from o-cha and I do have a proper bamboo whisk. I use about 4oz of 170-180F water with 2 chashaku scoops of matcha and whisk enough to get a good foam going. It just seems like every sip has a chalky texture. I only got chunks the last time which is obviously not right, but it seems like it's not even dissolving if it's supposed to. I guess this means if it suspends, not dissolves, that I need to get the powder as fine as possible with a sifter.

Jun 3rd, '09, 22:54

by Salsero » Jun 3rd, '09, 22:54

A kitchen sieve or tea strainer works perfectly as a sifter.

+ Post Reply