'Airing out'

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 1st, '09, 15:16

by yee » Jun 1st, '09, 15:16

entropyembrace wrote:
yee wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:Ah, I see you've already mastered lesson #1- most shu is crap.
It is not that shu is crap it that just girls dont like it... girls or those who dont know how to brew it properly.
Anyway, callyng anything crap is kind of immature.
I'm a girl and I like shu :roll:
I was sarcastic, what i shouldnt have been :oops: My wife likes shu better too. I dont think it is a matter od gender at all :)

Jun 1st, '09, 22:36

by oldmanteapot » Jun 1st, '09, 22:36

TomVerlain wrote:The flavor profile of a majority of shus is very similar - that is true - the process is a process that tastes like the process (if that makes sense). But if you look at a 7262, the leaf is pretty nice. There are "Gong Ting" shus as well. Not all shu is floor sweepings.
Agreed! IMHO, shu taste more complex than sheng. Many don't have liking for shu pu mainly due to the complexity of it's aroma and taste. From my limited exposure to pu'erh, i've come across shu that are poorly stored, hence, leaving a strong woody and 'fermentation' smell to the tea. I've personally thrown away a couple of shu as a result of poor storage.

I just had some early 90s Gong Ting... very nice.
Jedi wrote:For example, I have a rather old sheng, around 30 years old, and a rather old shu, of about the same age. They are each almost magical in property, and would I compare them? No...
Yes!... The Jedi has spoken... I was just wondering when would you say your fair share of comments... Anything above 30 years old, stored in the ideal condition, is magical and unforgetable!

Cheers!!

Jun 2nd, '09, 03:27

by oldmanteapot » Jun 2nd, '09, 03:27

hooksie wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Yes, you experienced wodui, or fermentation. The cake should be stored in only its wrapper to air over time, but if you are anxious to air it out, flake some of the cake off, about 7 grams, and let it air on a paper towel or something for a few days.
How loose would you think I should flake the peices? Chunks, or try to get it really loose?

My current strategy is using a 200ml gaiwan half full with broken up chunks with the lid slightly off.
Hook,

When I decide to break a beeng, I will usually open the wrapper and air it over night. Then only break up the entire piece and store them in yixing jars or cardboard containers that comes along with other purchased tea e.g. oolongs. I would prefer cardboard containers as it will allow better air circulation and is more porous compared to yixing. This will allow your shu pu to 'breathe' better. I'd let it rest there for another two to three weeks.

I'm not familiar at all with the weather conditions over where you are, but over here, it's hot and humid all year round. You will notice changes to your pu just by leaving a 'naked' pu in room temperature overnight.

Just my 2cents.

Cheers!

Jun 2nd, '09, 03:29

by entropyembrace » Jun 2nd, '09, 03:29

In North America most of the Pu-Erh we see is poorly made and/or stored Shu. Typical flavour profile is barnyard or pond. So that's what most of us had for a first exposure...including myself. :(

Jun 2nd, '09, 03:47

by oldmanteapot » Jun 2nd, '09, 03:47

entropyembrace wrote:In North America most of the Pu-Erh we see is poorly made and/or stored Shu. Typical flavour profile is barnyard or pond. So that's what most of us had for a first exposure...including myself. :(
Ooooo... that's bad... all Pu must be treated with TLC. It's sad that you guys over there find it difficult to sample good shu pu'erh. Like what Jedi said in his post, aged shu are as good as aged sheng, but there's no comparison because both are from different camps and it also comes down to personal preference.

Resident tea master Hop said,
hop_goblin wrote:"Great shu can taste a good as sheng but great shu will never taste as good as great sheng."
I've got a friend who drinks nothing but Shu. This again comes down to personal preference.

Cheers!

Jun 2nd, '09, 04:04

by Jedi » Jun 2nd, '09, 04:04

Would love to stay and chat, but just got a call that my DaYi 1994 First Batch bricks have arrived!!!!

Taking the afternoon off to go collect them and maybe have a cuppa or two!!!!!

And it's shu shu shu all the way baby yeah!!!!!

Jun 2nd, '09, 04:54

by oldmanteapot » Jun 2nd, '09, 04:54

Jedi wrote:Would love to stay and chat, but just got a call that my DaYi 1994 First Batch bricks have arrived!!!!

Taking the afternoon off to go collect them and maybe have a cuppa or two!!!!!

And it's shu shu shu all the way baby yeah!!!!!
Lucky fella.... remember to take pictures!.... and bring some up to Penang when you come.

Cheers and enjoy!

Jun 3rd, '09, 02:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by hooksie » Jun 3rd, '09, 02:54

oldmanteapot wrote:
hooksie wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Yes, you experienced wodui, or fermentation. The cake should be stored in only its wrapper to air over time, but if you are anxious to air it out, flake some of the cake off, about 7 grams, and let it air on a paper towel or something for a few days.
How loose would you think I should flake the peices? Chunks, or try to get it really loose?

My current strategy is using a 200ml gaiwan half full with broken up chunks with the lid slightly off.
Hook,

When I decide to break a beeng, I will usually open the wrapper and air it over night. Then only break up the entire piece and store them in yixing jars or cardboard containers that comes along with other purchased tea e.g. oolongs. I would prefer cardboard containers as it will allow better air circulation and is more porous compared to yixing. This will allow your shu pu to 'breathe' better. I'd let it rest there for another two to three weeks.

I'm not familiar at all with the weather conditions over where you are, but over here, it's hot and humid all year round. You will notice changes to your pu just by leaving a 'naked' pu in room temperature overnight.

Just my 2cents.

Cheers!
I ended up settling on a "zisha" mug I have, with the top removed and replaced with perforated paper towel. I may try and come up with some sort of system to get the air "flowing" all around it though.
We were fated to pretend.

Jun 4th, '09, 09:09

by zloVkvetinaci » Jun 4th, '09, 09:09

yesterday I drank 2007 golden needle white lotus shu..balanced, without fermentation taste after those 2 years, more "tame" than I remember it..a lot of yum!:)

Jun 18th, '09, 18:59

by depravitea » Jun 18th, '09, 18:59

I just got this today, my first cake.
It's shu, and I've not yet tried it because I'm waiting for a friend to come over.
I was wondering though, on storage. From what I've read here it sounds like I should wrap it back up in the paper wrapper and leave it in alone?

I'm in Idaho (I know, I know) and there isn't much in the way of humidity. I don't have any Yixing storage, and so I'm a bit reluctant to completely break the thing down... Any opinions on how to best store my first (of hopefully many) cake?
Thanks in advance!

Jun 18th, '09, 19:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by hooksie » Jun 18th, '09, 19:23

THere's no need to break the whole thing up at once. You could very well break up a small portion of it and let it air out along the lines of what's been mentioned above.
We were fated to pretend.

Jun 18th, '09, 19:33

by depravitea » Jun 18th, '09, 19:33

As far as storage would my pantry be ok? It's where I keep all my other tea except for the lapsang souchong. It's dark (when the door is closed - I'm guessing - though I've never shut myself in...) Anyway, the temperature is pretty consistent as well.
Opinions?
"The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." - Bertrand Russell

Jun 18th, '09, 20:59

by MarshalN » Jun 18th, '09, 20:59

Does your pantry smell like spices?

Jun 18th, '09, 21:13

by depravitea » Jun 18th, '09, 21:13

MarshalN wrote:Does your pantry smell like spices?
Nope, definitely not.
That's why I keep all my tea there. Except for the Lapsang Souchong that is.
"The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." - Bertrand Russell

Oct 13th, '09, 23:57

Re: 'Airing out'

by jackdaniel » Oct 13th, '09, 23:57

Why don't you keep the "Lapsang Souchong" with the others?

I store my pu (as recommended by others) in a small cardboard box. Shu with shu, sheng with sheng, and neither the two shall meet (in the same box). They are stored in the basement at about 80% RH, 70F.

+ Post Reply