3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Apr 6th, '09, 21:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Apr 6th, '09, 21:15

TIM wrote:
Victoria wrote:hehehe neither! I'll PM you.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!
Simply Perfection! Stuning, Victoria. With The green bubble inside, must be picture perfect :D
Thanks TIM, I'll post one with matcha for you soon!

Apr 6th, '09, 22:39

by chamekke » Apr 6th, '09, 22:39

Gorgeous chawan, Victoria! Absolutely stunning :D

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 7th, '09, 10:21
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 7th, '09, 10:21

Victoria wrote:
TIM wrote:
Victoria wrote:hehehe neither! I'll PM you.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!
Simply Perfection! Stuning, Victoria. With The green bubble inside, must be picture perfect :D
Thanks TIM, I'll post one with matcha for you soon!
Thanks Victoria : )

I learn so much yesterday from all of you, specially Chamekke's show and tell, and I do think I got myself a Shino?
Just want to share and try to find out what kind of Shino is my yuzamashi.

Apr 7th, '09, 11:28

by Chip » Apr 7th, '09, 11:28

Interesting Yuzamashi, Tim. Very striking!

I have only begun to look into Shino ... and other types, styles, etc of Japanese teaware. It could be a Shino, what makes you think so out of curiousity?

Apr 7th, '09, 11:35
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 7th, '09, 11:35

Chip wrote:Interesting Yuzamashi, Tim. I have only begun to look into Shino ... and other types, styles, etc of Japanese teaware. It could be a Shino, what makes you think so out of curiousity?
Thanks Chip. Just using Chanekke's reference to think this might be a Shino. I got it from a local japanese shop http://www.seasonsintl.com/ in soho. The owner only carries small production studio's potteries from Japan. It's a modern piece which I paid little for. It has the red clay base which most traditional shino had, with the white glaze over. It also started to have the crackle inside, which I think is the stage changes of a Shino, somewhat similar to the "Seven Changes of a Hagi?".... just my guess.
Last edited by TIM on Apr 7th, '09, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 7th, '09, 11:41

by woozl » Apr 7th, '09, 11:41

Very cool....BTW where'd ya get the wood stand?
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Apr 7th, '09, 11:44

by iannon » Apr 7th, '09, 11:44

TIM wrote:
Chip wrote:Interesting Yuzamashi, Tim. I have only begun to look into Shino ... and other types, styles, etc of Japanese teaware. It could be a Shino, what makes you think so out of curiousity?
Thanks Chip. Just using Chanekke's reference to think this might be a Shino. I got it from a local japanese shop http://www.seasonsintl.com/ in soho. The owner only carries small production studio's potteries from Japan. It's a modern piece which I paid little for. It has the red clay base which most traditional shino had, with the white glaze over. It also started to have the crackle inside, which I think is the stage changes of a Shino, somewhat similar to the "Seven Changes of a Hagi?".... just my guess.
I wish I had any kind of shop similar to that where I live..have to go online for EVRYTHING here

Apr 7th, '09, 12:50

by MarshalN » Apr 7th, '09, 12:50

I find Shino ware to be hard to ID, mostly because the styles are all over the place and you can never be sure...

Apr 7th, '09, 13:33

by Chip » Apr 7th, '09, 13:33

MarshalN wrote:I find Shino ware to be hard to ID, mostly because the styles are all over the place and you can never be sure...
Yes, I agree! I can often look at a Shino, and say that is Shino, but there are styles within Shino that make many pieces harder to ID.

Nevertheless, they are interesting works, but they do vary greatly in desirability IMHO. Some are completely off the charts, very remarkable and interesting.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 7th, '09, 13:41
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 7th, '09, 13:41

woozl wrote:Very cool....BTW where'd ya get the wood stand?
A tea farmer from Taiwan gave it to me as a gift. He also double as a Wood Sculptor :D

Apr 7th, '09, 14:39

by Victoria » Apr 7th, '09, 14:39

TIM wrote: I learn so much yesterday from all of you, specially Chamekke's show and tell, and I do think I got myself a Shino?
Just want to share and try to find out what kind of Shino is my yuzamashi.

Most definitely a shino glaze and a unique piece!
Thanks for sharing!

Nice link too!
There are some nice bowls there looking for a good home!

Apr 7th, '09, 17:07

by edkrueger » Apr 7th, '09, 17:07

I think that is a Katakuchi not a Yuzamashi. Though, there is little functional difference. BTW I thinks the nicest thing I've seen in this thread.

Apr 7th, '09, 17:23

by Chip » Apr 7th, '09, 17:23

edkrueger wrote:I think that is a Katakuchi not a Yuzamashi. Though, there is little functional difference. BTW I thinks the nicest thing I've seen in this thread.
But then again, you are a vocal antiHagite. :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 7th, '09, 17:54

by trent » Apr 7th, '09, 17:54

TIM wrote:It also started to have the crackle inside, which I think is the stage changes of a Shino, somewhat similar to the "Seven Changes of a Hagi?".... just my guess.
TIM, do you know what exactly the 7 changes are? I've been wondering for a while, but I haven't found an answer online.

Apr 7th, '09, 18:23

by chamekke » Apr 7th, '09, 18:23

You might have more luck if you do a Google on hagi no nanabake in Japanese - 萩の七化 - and translate the results.

I did a quick search but couldn't find a codified list of "changes", although one blog seemed to suggest that the seven changes might have to do with the different styles that Hagi can take, rather than the changes in appearance of a single piece over time.

I also wonder if it isn't also a general expression in Japanese. This link - http://www.viewingjapaneseprints.net/te ... wari7.html - talks about hayagawari or the "quick change techniques" used in Japanese theatre. The article says, "One frequently encountered type of hayagawari was the nanabake ('seven changes', also called shichi henge), which required the actor to take on seven different roles (nanayaku) within a single performance."

So just possibly, rather than literally meaning "seven stages" or seven phases, this phrase may simply be a more general expression that refers to "many different appearances".

+ Post Reply