Shincha 2008 Lineup

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '08, 23:03

by witches brew » May 12th, '08, 23:03

My Hibiki-an Pinnacle shincha arrived today. Why is it that tea arrives when I am NOT home to enjoy it? It's not fair.

I haven't even tasted it, but I am disappointed by it already. Here's the conversation:

Me: Anything good in the mail today?

SL: You got a lumpy green package from Japan.

Me: Lumpy...green..oh, that must be my tea. Um, how lumpy? Is there a tin in it?

SL: It's like a paper bag but green, all wrinkled and lumpy. No tin.

Me: STOP SQUEEZING MY TEA!

So Pinnacle tea arrives in a lumpy green paper bag. How bizarre.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 12th, '08, 23:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 12th, '08, 23:07

OK, you've got to tell where you got that or I am getting you banned. Did you make it?

May 13th, '08, 01:43

by Chip » May 13th, '08, 01:43

chamekke wrote:
bambooforest wrote:This isn't Duck season. Nor is it Rabbit Season.

It's Shincha Season.
I must have missed this episode.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 13th, '08, 01:50

by Chip » May 13th, '08, 01:50

witches brew wrote:My Hibiki-an Pinnacle shincha arrived today. Why is it that tea arrives when I am NOT home to enjoy it? It's not fair.

I haven't even tasted it, but I am disappointed by it already. Here's the conversation:

Me: Lumpy...green..oh, that must be my tea. Um, how lumpy? Is there a tin in it?

They ship a lot in these bags. The tea is bubble wrapped on the inside. For Pinnicle at 29 smacker per 40 grams, it should be shipped in a box.

But this is the hibiki-an way. I think most of us have had that initial "shock" when we see it for the first time. I would have mentioned it, but I am so used to it by now. It is bizarre. He grows it and harvests it and processes it...you think he would box it too. :shock:

Most sencha from Japanese vendors is shipped in foil lined bags, tins are a little bit of an exception.

May 13th, '08, 03:44

by chamekke » May 13th, '08, 03:44

ShinCha wrote:
chamekke wrote:
bambooforest wrote:This isn't Duck season. Nor is it Rabbit Season.

It's Shincha Season.
I must have missed this episode.
The one where Elmer Fudd says, "You wascawwy wabbit! You stole my Fukamushi Supweme!"

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 13th, '08, 04:04

by Chip » May 13th, '08, 04:04

OHHHHHH, that one... :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 13th, '08, 13:17

by Pentox » May 13th, '08, 13:17

Chip wrote:
witches brew wrote:My Hibiki-an Pinnacle shincha arrived today. Why is it that tea arrives when I am NOT home to enjoy it? It's not fair.

They ship a lot in these bags. The tea is bubble wrapped on the inside. For Pinnicle at 29 smacker per 40 grams, it should be shipped in a box.

But this is the hibiki-an way. I think most of us have had that initial "shock" when we see it for the first time. I would have mentioned it, but I am so used to it by now. It is bizarre. He grows it and harvests it and processes it...you think he would box it too. :shock:

Most sencha from Japanese vendors is shipped in foil lined bags, tins are a little bit of an exception.
I always thought tins were more for if you were buying the gift versions / large quantities, or high grade teas. It seems to be more of a luxury packaging option if you so desire it. Most people have a fair stockpile of them I think and don't want to be forced into buying more.

May 13th, '08, 15:30

by olivierco » May 13th, '08, 15:30

witches brew wrote:My Hibiki-an Pinnacle shincha arrived today.
They explain why on the invoice

We are very concerned about the environmental destruction in the world, which may also have an impact on our tea farms. We wrap our parcels as simply as possible, while still being well protected during delivery. Thank you for your understanding.

May 13th, '08, 16:03

by bambooforest » May 13th, '08, 16:03

To be honest, I have ordered from Hibik-an many times. When I first witnessed the packaging - I had to sit down.

However, I've since come to realize that even though their packaging doesn't exactly give me butterflies of exuberation, the bags of tea are tightly packed, and somehow I notice no issues with the actual leaf.

May 14th, '08, 10:20

by witches brew » May 14th, '08, 10:20

I'm sure when I SEE it and taste it, I will be satisfied. It was just a surreal verbal experience, carried out from a distance.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 15th, '08, 01:38

by Chip » May 15th, '08, 01:38

Hashiri is in the house. I got the gift set...quite nice. All wrapped up like a present for me. Til I took into account the free shipping and the discounted price in the set, the kyusu was 10 bucks well spent.

I had to try it, probably should have waited til tomorrow because I had to rush and a lot of distractions. I will likely try again...sure is purdy though!!!
Last edited by Chip on May 15th, '08, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, '08, 04:12

by inspectoring » May 15th, '08, 04:12

just got my hashiri...and after the first brew I have mixed feelings. First off - I am not that good at brewing japanese tea (I believe they are unforgiving). Having said that - I could sense the slight hint of fruitiness and that vegetal flavor - but it was too subtle. I tried 2 following methods.
1. 165 deg temp with 1 teaspoon 1 and 1/2 minutes - very astringent.
2. 150 deg temp with 1 teaspoon 1 minute - too dull
Both times used 2 0z water...

I will try 160 for 1 and then 1 and 1/2 minutes tommorow - lets see what happens...but so far - my first sincha - the very first - has not impressed me as much as gyokuro has.

I will be very interested in others reviews and be grateful for any tips...

May 15th, '08, 13:03

by Pentox » May 15th, '08, 13:03

Got my trio of shinchas from Den's yesterday. Can't wait to try them, but I want to find a nice block of time to really enjoy it.

May 15th, '08, 13:48

by Chip » May 15th, '08, 13:48

Pentox wrote:Got my trio of shinchas from Den's yesterday. Can't wait to try them, but I want to find a nice block of time to really enjoy it.
Yes...especially for the Hashiri. It is not one you want to rush.

I am seeing a little more now with my second session of Hashira today.

I suspect that since Witches Brew levitated spontaneously after trying this as I think her first sencha, she will not need to her broom to fly once she tries more sencha.

First of all, Hashiri is not really picked at the optimum timing for shincha, it is picked a little early. It is slightly immature and rather astringent, lacking the depth of some other shincha that have been picked at the exact right moment.

Don't get me wrong, this is good, very crisp, flavorful. If you like astringency, this has it in abundance. But I will have better this Spring. This is a bit of a novelty tea. The first of the first picked. This in my mind so far does not make it the best, but a unique offering, and a unique opportunity.

Admittedly, I am still experimenting, and may discover something different. But even Den writes that this it shows "naive bitterness" of its youth. It would be wrong to expect this to be something it is not.

Den's comments on Hashiri
Last edited by Chip on May 15th, '08, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, '08, 13:55

by Pentox » May 15th, '08, 13:55

I can't wait!

+ Post Reply