Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 29th, '10, 13:12

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by dooble » Mar 29th, '10, 13:12

Huang Zhi Xiang Dan Cong. Now, I've just started delving into the oolong category and find it very confusing. This is what I've learned;

This tea, supposing it's authentic, should be a single bush phoenix oolong. Phoenix oolong means it comes from Phoenix mountains? According to the vendor the tea was produced in Guangdong...

And, the Huang Zhi Xiang part would mean the tea has a orange flower fragnance. (this I read from tea obsession)

I'm quite unsure about all this, so anyone, please correct + fill me in... Suprisingly Google seemed to fail on me with this tea.

Also drinking Dong Ding. I love it :).

Mar 29th, '10, 16:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 29th, '10, 16:30

Just opened Winter Zheng-Cong Mu-Zha TGY from Hou De. This is a 35% with heavy wood roasting. Definitely darker than my norm, but a nice change of pace.

Mar 29th, '10, 16:55

by Herb_Master » Mar 29th, '10, 16:55

Well - -

If you bought it from a reputable source, and it was fairly expensive, it should indeed be from a single bush (though in Feng Huang the bushes look more like trees!)

The words Dan Cong however are used fairly loosely - one step down from single bush, Dan Cong can also be used to label teas from a single grove, where many supposedly identical clones of the mother tree have been planted.

At the bottom end of the scruples come those who label as Dan Cong the blended products of many bushes and then give the impression that it is either Single Grove or Single Bush.

- - - -

Huang Zhi is indeed often referred to as having an 'Orange Blossom' scent (Xiang) but this can be fleeting or absent in many Huang Zhi products. Huang Zhi is translated in many ways, perhaps the most used is to call it 'Yellow Sprig' defining it's appearance rather than the scent of the tea.

I have tried about 12 Huang Zhi DCs about 5 from Tea Habitat, and some from Hou De, and others. I rarely readily identify an Orange Blossom fragrance, but occasionally mixed in with a woody and minerally notes, I detect some citrus notes - usually when I bury my nose close to the teapot when pouring, not so often when sploshing the tea around the roof of my mouth.

- - - -

The names of the individual tea bushes (which get passed on to their cloned offspring) are an attempt to identify the bush as unique, occasionally an unknown tea bush when it's tea has been sampled will bear such a striking resemblance to one that has already been christened that it will be given the same name. If it has outstanding characteristics it will be given it's own unique name, if it has no truly great merits in it's own right, it may be falsely given the name of a superior DC hoping to cash in on the fame of the other.

- - - -

Imen describes some of her teas on her blog, as not having the usual characteristics of the standard. She attributes this to the effect of different harvests and more importantly the skill and intentions of the tea producers through Mao Cha stage to roasting.

Given the great availability of Huang Zhi (Mi Lan, Yu Lan and others also) it is not hard to tell that these are coming from many many tea bushes. Whether or not they come from an Original Bush over 300 years old, a clone from this, a more recently discovered bush with almost identical properties, or a clone of a clone of a clone of either, or whether it is just opportunistic labelling, you can only hazard a guess by the level of trust that you place in your supplier.

- - - -

But remember that the Orange Blossom Aroma is just one small element of the flavour profile that emerges, the way that you brew your tea can also determine which of the elements come to the fore and which are suppressed.

Mar 30th, '10, 02:25

by tenuki » Mar 30th, '10, 02:25

good oolong.

Mar 30th, '10, 02:32

by plant partaker » Mar 30th, '10, 02:32

I am drinking 2nd infusion of Iron Buddha fire roasted oolong from house of cha

Mar 30th, '10, 02:50

by debunix » Mar 30th, '10, 02:50

Yunnan Oriental Beauty from Yunnan Sourcing today, a lovely tea that is mellow and pleasing all the way to the bottom of the thermos, reached some 8 hours after infusing. The highlights are muted at that point, but there are no unpleasing notes even then.

Mar 30th, '10, 03:20

by plant partaker » Mar 30th, '10, 03:20

I saw that tea. Debunix, what's your favorite oolong and how do you afford your tea ware? everything I've seen is so expensive

Mar 30th, '10, 03:52

by debunix » Mar 30th, '10, 03:52

I do not have a favorite oolong. I love my sweet floral green oolongs, dark toasty roasty oolongs, and spicy mysterious dan congs, and which one I want next varies from day to day. The best thing about oolongs, is that I've not met an icky one yet.

As for the teaware, I live just a few miles from a wonderful chinatown tea shop, with lots of inexpensive and functional teaware--at $2.99 a gaiwan and $8.99 a pot, and at those prices, I can afford to buy several and figure out what works best for me.

Mar 30th, '10, 04:07

by plant partaker » Mar 30th, '10, 04:07

Yea, I live in AZ and we don't have a Chinatown. There 's hardly any culture out here.

Mar 30th, '10, 10:50

by debunix » Mar 30th, '10, 10:50

If you come to LA for whatever reason, reserve a couple of hours and a few bucks for a trip to Wing Hop Fung--one store in Chinatown, and one store a little farther east in Monterey Park.

http://www.winghopfung.com/locations

They sell of lot of inexpensive everyday teaware along with lots of different oolongs to brew in it, and one I've drunk a lot of is their Supreme Big Red Robe Wuyi.

Mar 30th, '10, 14:48

by plant partaker » Mar 30th, '10, 14:48

That sounds awesome.I think I'm going to have to find a reason to go to L.A. so i can check it out

Mar 31st, '10, 05:11

by dooble » Mar 31st, '10, 05:11

Herb_Master wrote:
Given the great availability of Huang Zhi (Mi Lan, Yu Lan and others also) it is not hard to tell that these are coming from many many tea bushes. Whether or not they come from an Original Bush over 300 years old, a clone from this, a more recently discovered bush with almost identical properties, or a clone of a clone of a clone of either, or whether it is just opportunistic labelling, you can only hazard a guess by the level of trust that you place in your supplier.

- - - -
Yeah, I'm not too hopeful of the quality of this tea, just because I'd guess the authentic ones should be really rare. But thank you for the great info, that sould have cleared me out at last! :)

Mar 31st, '10, 06:37

by brandon » Mar 31st, '10, 06:37

2008 "high fire" Shui Xian

Mar 31st, '10, 11:18

by Herb_Master » Mar 31st, '10, 11:18

dooble wrote:
Herb_Master wrote:

- - - -
Yeah, I'm not too hopeful of the quality of this tea, just because I'd guess the authentic ones should be really rare. But thank you for the great info, that sould have cleared me out at last! :)
BUT

there are some good ones being offered by reputable suppliers :roll:

the age of the clone itself may be partly the answer - if these well loved varietals were cloned 50 years ago they could be producing very decent tea. If for instance you have a grove of 15 year old bushes then maybe in another 25 years time they to will give good tea!

I think the solution is to find a couple of suppliers (or more) who have impressed you (on DC) and continue to order different varietals from them!

Apr 2nd, '10, 22:59

by brad4419 » Apr 2nd, '10, 22:59

Medium roast qi lan in my cup today. It tastes like it has a bit more astringent than the other wuyi's Ive had but its very good.

+ Post Reply