Oct 17th, '08, 17:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 17th, '08, 17:31

UncleIroh wrote: wow gingko-- that green set is amazing! cool little tea tray too
Yes, is is very nice as well as being nicely photographed.
It is Japanese? What all do you brew in it? Just greens? Is it available on line somewhere?

Oct 17th, '08, 17:40

by caligatia » Oct 17th, '08, 17:40

olivierco wrote:ImageWhat size is the teapot?
27.9oz. The cups are 5oz.

Oct 17th, '08, 20:08

by Victoria » Oct 17th, '08, 20:08

Congrats on your new set!!

Oct 17th, '08, 20:12
Vendor Member

by nada » Oct 17th, '08, 20:12

Since I've enjoyed looking at everyone elses, I thought I'd post some pics of my teaware shelf & favourite tea things

Oct 17th, '08, 21:12

by Salsero » Oct 17th, '08, 21:12

nada wrote: I thought I'd post some pics of my teaware shelf & favourite tea things
Wonderful. I love the classic simplicity of your pots. The two gaiwans are really something—ornate without being flashy—and the tray they stand on is also beautiful. Thanks for sharing these things.

Oct 17th, '08, 21:21

by t4texas » Oct 17th, '08, 21:21

Lovely. Yes, classic simplicity.

Are those old Yixing tea containers?

Oct 17th, '08, 21:31
Vendor Member

by nada » Oct 17th, '08, 21:31

Salsero wrote:The two gaiwans are really something
it's true that they really don't make them like they used to. There's some warm quality about using old tea things that I find it difficult to replicate with new porcelain. It's difficult to put my finger on, but it's definately there.
t4texas wrote:Are those old Yixing tea containers?
Sadly no, they're relatively modern. The large ones on the left though are old Irish stoneware I discovered lying in an outhouse - thoroughly cleaned and with a cloth attached to the top, they're great for old loose leaf puerh.

Oct 18th, '08, 11:50
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 18th, '08, 11:50

Very cute (and many) little yixing pots, nada!
And the little light-green tea bowls at the far end, that's one of my favorite bowl colors! :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 18th, '08, 12:00
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 18th, '08, 12:00

Salsero wrote:
UncleIroh wrote: wow gingko-- that green set is amazing! cool little tea tray too
Yes, is is very nice as well as being nicely photographed.
It is Japanese? What all do you brew in it? Just greens? Is it available on line somewhere?
My aunt brought it to me from China :D I heard it's a popular style in Taiwan in recent years.
I use this set for oolong. I've seen people using similar style, glass material for puerh too. What's interesting about such so called "broken ice ceramic" is, the ceramic is broken into small pieces throughout the inside, and therefore tea (or tea stains :P ) will slowly get into the ceramic and with time being changes the color of the tea ware. After a few uses, I can already see the color difference between the used cup and the unused cup. I have yet to see what kind of shade it will reach eventually :D

UncleIroh, I like the tea tray but it's a cheaper one so I have my fingers crossed and hope it will not leak soon :P
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 18th, '08, 16:12

by UncleIroh » Oct 18th, '08, 16:12

gingko-- it might not leak. i've got a cheaper-end bamboo tray too ($30 from wing hop fung here in LA, discernably cheaper than yours), and it's still watertight after almost two years. fingers crossed for the future...

Oct 19th, '08, 10:53

by odarwin » Oct 19th, '08, 10:53

hi guys here is my set to share...

this is the "family"
3 pots that i always use at home, the 2 pots with similar color is of the same clay and potter, i got those from china during my stay there. the third one i got recently from dth, its the "30 year mud pot" its nice, but i still like the 2 older ones i have better. the other "toys" i got from china also...

the "toys"... squirting frog, a turtle with retractable neck...

my travel set that's yet to be used...

-darwin

Oct 19th, '08, 11:35

by Victoria » Oct 19th, '08, 11:35

Very nice, thanks for posting!! Love that portable tray and the tiny frogs!!!

Oct 20th, '08, 18:00

by UncleIroh » Oct 20th, '08, 18:00

hey darwin, nice stuff! i like that turtle with the retractable neck-- i've got a yixing pot sort of like that. it's got a dragon head on the lid that extends when you tip it forward, and then the dragon's tongue pops out when you tip it enough to pour. thanks for sharing...

Oct 20th, '08, 18:28

by UncleIroh » Oct 20th, '08, 18:28

well, it started with this, the green monster:
but it's grown into all of this:
it's a little difficult to take a good picture in my living room. so difficult that i plainly never managed it. :? yet these give you some idea of what my collection looks like and where it lives. none of my teaware is of especially distinguished origin (i don't think i've paid more than $40 for anything except the electric kettle), but it all gets used and enjoyed.
little closer:
and yes, that is my very own teabar! complete with filtered water and variable-temp electric kettle. 8) it's starting to look like i live in a teashop that collided with a bookstore, but i wouldn't want it any other way. :)
i've still got a few more things besides this. i'll try to post some more, or some more detailed pics of individual pieces, when i can re-borrow the camera i was using.
~sean

Oct 20th, '08, 18:28

by heavydoom » Oct 20th, '08, 18:28

nice stuff there, odarwin. nice little petting zoo going on too. love the photos, well lit and shot.