User avatar
Sep 19th 10 7:30 pm
Posts: 1408
Joined: Oct 5th 09 9:03 am
Location: UK

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by Alex » Sep 19th 10 7:30 pm

I use gaiwans and I love faircups. I favour glass as its nice to hold up to the light on a sunny day and see the colour of the tea from a different perspective. I don't use a strainer with my teas but I like the way the usual fair cup shape holds back the pinch of little bits you always get.

User avatar
Sep 20th 10 7:42 pm
Posts: 139
Joined: Jul 15th 10 8:24 pm
Location: Sweden
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by Tobias » Sep 20th 10 7:42 pm

Has anybody noticed any changes to the tea's taste while using a faircup?

User avatar
Sep 20th 10 10:59 pm
Posts: 1784
Joined: Jul 9th 09 3:39 am
Location: Maui
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by tingjunkie » Sep 20th 10 10:59 pm

Tobias wrote:Has anybody noticed any changes to the tea's taste while using a faircup?
Mine is glazed ceramic, so no. Unglazed faircups can definitely make a difference to taste and aroma.

User avatar
Sep 20th 10 11:22 pm
Posts: 2228
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by AdamMY » Sep 20th 10 11:22 pm

Tobias wrote:Has anybody noticed any changes to the tea's taste while using a faircup?
Most of them are made out of materials which are not meant to alter taste, as I personally would find it annoying to get a yixing one and feel the need to try and keep track of which goes with which teas.

That being said there is probably no actual change in taste, but a slight percieved change in taste as it changes the speed at which the tea cools.

User avatar
Sep 21st 10 12:23 am
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th 08 3:42 pm
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by nonc_ron » Sep 21st 10 12:23 am

Tobias wrote:Has anybody noticed any changes to the tea's taste while using a faircup?
maybe it's because you're letting it Air Out/breath a little.
Although I didn't realize it worked that fast.

User avatar
Sep 21st 10 12:53 am
Posts: 139
Joined: Jul 15th 10 8:24 pm
Location: Sweden
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by Tobias » Sep 21st 10 12:53 am

nonc_ron wrote:maybe it's because you're letting it Air Out/breath a little.
Although I didn't realize it worked that fast.
It might be, unfortunately it really ruins the tea and make it taste bland and watery.

User avatar
Sep 21st 10 1:10 am
Posts: 702
Joined: Sep 4th 10 10:25 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by the_economist » Sep 21st 10 1:10 am

Tobias wrote:
nonc_ron wrote:maybe it's because you're letting it Air Out/breath a little.
Although I didn't realize it worked that fast.
It might be, unfortunately it really ruins the tea and make it taste bland and watery.
i agree! im realizing that the height at which i decant my tea from my gaiwan makes a difference. when i raise it too high and it starts splashing about, it seems to affect the taste. but maybe i'm imagining things, though i really don't think i am.

User avatar
Sep 21st 10 5:34 pm
Posts: 1408
Joined: Oct 5th 09 9:03 am
Location: UK

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by Alex » Sep 21st 10 5:34 pm

I use a 200ml glass one and there's no change of taste for me.

User avatar
Sep 21st 10 10:02 pm
Posts: 763
Joined: Jun 7th 08 3:47 pm

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by britt » Sep 21st 10 10:02 pm

I'm also using a glass pitcher of about 240 ml capacity. I don't notice any change in taste for better or worse. One thing I do notice, however, is the cooling affect on the tea which can be a problem when using an 8 ounce pitcher and a 3 ounce gaiwan stuffed full of leaves, leaving less than 3 ounces of brewed tea. From kettle (or dispenser) to gaiwan, to pitcher, to cups = significant cooling affect when using small capacity gaiwans or teapots. Tea can end up being at gyokuro temperature (140 F). This is my only complaint about using pitchers. I need to use a smaller, lighter pitcher or a larger gaiwan.

User avatar
Sep 22nd 10 1:32 am
Posts: 702
Joined: Sep 4th 10 10:25 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by the_economist » Sep 22nd 10 1:32 am

but i would think that the change in temperature would affect the taste of the tea? i kinda sense that oolong tea that has been cooled down loses some of its potency and becomes more mellow.

User avatar
Sep 22nd 10 3:48 am
Posts: 2228
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by AdamMY » Sep 22nd 10 3:48 am

the_economist wrote:but i would think that the change in temperature would affect the taste of the tea? i kinda sense that oolong tea that has been cooled down loses some of its potency and becomes more mellow.
Well it depends on how cool, and your own personal taste preferences. Personally I prefer some teas when they have cooled a decent bit, and with some I find I like the flavors more when they are cooler.

But I actually like serving pitchers for this reason as if I poured into individual cups, once they reach the right temp I would need to drink all of them in very quick succession. Whereas a serving pitcher preserves temp at first, due to a greater volume of liquid.

User avatar
Sep 22nd 10 6:15 pm
Posts: 763
Joined: Jun 7th 08 3:47 pm

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by britt » Sep 22nd 10 6:15 pm

Since my pitcher is much larger than the gaiwan I'm currently using I have just started pouring two infusions at a time into it. More hot liquid won't cool as quickly. I'm looking for a smaller, lighter pitcher of about 100ml. I think this will solve the cooling problem.

A good point about temp affecting the taste of tea. I like the oolongs hot and the greens cool.

User avatar
Sep 22nd 10 6:24 pm
Posts: 776
Joined: Jul 9th 10 3:17 pm
Location: Florida
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by TwoPynts » Sep 22nd 10 6:24 pm

Too hot and you lose some ability to taste as well. I like the cooling effect a pitcher has and have not noticed any adverse effects on the taste.

User avatar
Sep 22nd 10 6:34 pm
Posts: 763
Joined: Jun 7th 08 3:47 pm

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by britt » Sep 22nd 10 6:34 pm

TwoPynts wrote:Too hot and you lose some ability to taste as well. I like the cooling effect a pitcher has and have not noticed any adverse effects on the taste.
I only notice a negative affect when the brewing vessel (whether gaiwan or Yixing) is much smaller in capacity than the pitcher. There just doesn't seem to be enough hot tea to prevent cooling down significantly when it hits the much larger mass of the pitcher.

User avatar
Sep 23rd 10 8:46 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Main purpose of serving pitchers

by Chip » Sep 23rd 10 8:46 pm

AdamMY wrote:
the_economist wrote:but i would think that the change in temperature would affect the taste of the tea? i kinda sense that oolong tea that has been cooled down loses some of its potency and becomes more mellow.
Well it depends on how cool, and your own personal taste preferences. Personally I prefer some teas when they have cooled a decent bit, and with some I find I like the flavors more when they are cooler.

But I actually like serving pitchers for this reason as if I poured into individual cups, once they reach the right temp I would need to drink all of them in very quick succession. Whereas a serving pitcher preserves temp at first, due to a greater volume of liquid.
For some teas this is pretty important, especially if you are drinking rather slowly ... some teas just get bitter if too hot and sitting around.