Preferential steam of a new sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

The next new sencha you try, would you prefer it to be asamushi, chumushi, fukamushi, ultra fukamushi? As a bonus, have you ever tried Benifuki? Would you want to try it? 2 votes.

Asamushi/light steamed
32%
Chumushi/mid steamed
8%
Fukamushi/deep steamed
17%
Ultra fukamushi/ultra deep steamed
7%
Bonus, never tried it, but would!
23%
Bonus, never tried it, maybe would
8%
Bonus, never tried it and would not
1%
Bonus, tried it, but would retry it
1%
Bonus, tried it
1%
Bonus, other
1%

Total votes: 84

Apr 23rd, '11, 21:15

Re: Preferential steam of a new sencha?

by tortoise » Apr 23rd, '11, 21:15

If placebos are so effective, I will look into using them more often!
edkrueger wrote:
tortoise wrote:Except the brains of live monkeys
I have heard the brains of dead monkeys taste good fried. Not sure about the live ones.
I shall exclude the brains of dead monkeys also. Even if they clear allergies.

Was it "Faces of Death" wherein I actually watched some thrill-seeking high rollers dine on said delicacy?

What does this have to do with sencha steaming? Not much, I guess. Maybe we should start a new topic. :lol:

Apr 25th, '11, 19:29

by shinobicha » Apr 25th, '11, 19:29

I just (pre)ordered both kinds - my first order from O-cha!

Kirameki
Yutaka Midori LE

I plan on getting another 2-3 asamushi shinchas though (from Den's Tea or Shirakata Denshiro Shoten)

Apr 25th, '11, 19:32

by shinobicha » Apr 25th, '11, 19:32

Chip wrote:Also, for those who stated eagerness to try a new fukamushi, I have a limited amount of Maromi, also from Den's to share. http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... ath=96_537 This is a new offering that is steamed even longer than regular fukumushi. First trials revealed an interesting flavor profile.

You can still throw your name in the hat(s).
Chip - actually I found this (Maromi) one to be really interesting. It has an extra amount of roasting done to it, and it definitely reminded me of houjicha, actually. It is of course not at all as roasty as a houjicha, but there was a hint.

Apr 26th, '11, 13:26

by edkrueger » Apr 26th, '11, 13:26

Is super death steam not extreme enough? Must we roast it more too? This is starting to sound like extreme beer. Coming next... Imperial Fukamushi Hojicha: triple steamed, high fired, with 15 percent caffeine by volume.

Apr 26th, '11, 14:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 26th, '11, 14:16

edkrueger wrote:Is super death steam not extreme enough? Must we roast it more too? This is starting to sound like extreme beer. Coming next... Imperial Fukamushi Hojicha: triple steamed, high fired, with 15 percent caffeine by volume.
Of course coming from Ed "Asamushi" Krueger ... :mrgreen:

I don't see it this way. There is simply more than one way to process just about any tea. Virtually all sencha (not aracha) has the final brief roast as well. So this is perhaps more steamed and more roasted, but it is not extreme in taste.

Apr 26th, '11, 16:55

by Chip » Apr 26th, '11, 16:55

Another little thing to consider, what if they simply threw the leaves in water as it was in the beginning, maybe zero processing?

Of course this has changed many times. To stick with the Japanese tea analogy.
  • Maybe it would never have been steamed at all

Maybe the final, brief roast would never have been added (which is now done for virtually every sencha)

Perhaps just picking from poorly or uncultivated plants

Perhaps they never would have thought to shade fields ... imagine no matcha nor gyokuro
Imagine tea without innovation, without tryng new ways to produce tea!

Apr 26th, '11, 18:15

by edkrueger » Apr 26th, '11, 18:15

Chip wrote:Virtually all sencha (not aracha) has the final brief roast as well. So this is perhaps more steamed and more roasted, but it is not extreme in taste.
I am aware of the final "roast". I am not claiming this tea has crossed into the extreme level, but it is coming and I know there will be people to buy it.
Chip wrote:Another little thing to consider, what if they simply threw the leaves in water as it was in the beginning, maybe zero processing?

Maybe the final, brief roast would never have been added (which is now done for virtually every sencha)

Perhaps they never would have thought to shade fields ... imagine no matcha nor gyokuro
What a strawman! I don't think think anyone claimed all "innovation" as you call it was bad. I was merely implying that more isn't always the answer and that there is a trend towards more processing. Most "innovation" is bad innovation and doesn't stick around for long.

Apr 26th, '11, 19:29

by Chip » Apr 26th, '11, 19:29

edkrueger wrote:
Chip wrote:Virtually all sencha (not aracha) has the final brief roast as well. So this is perhaps more steamed and more roasted, but it is not extreme in taste.
I am aware of the final "roast". I am not claiming this tea has crossed into the extreme level, but it is coming and I know there will be people to buy it.
Chip wrote:Another little thing to consider, what if they simply threw the leaves in water as it was in the beginning, maybe zero processing?

What a strawman! I don't think think anyone claimed all "innovation" as you call it was bad. I was merely implying that more isn't always the answer and that there is a trend towards more processing. Most "innovation" is bad innovation and doesn't stick around for long.
"What a strawman," I have no clue what you are even implying? Can you please explain this?

Anyone? I was directly referring to your post. Innovation includes risk. I would say the risk of possible failure is well worth it given the successful innovations along the way. To not try a new methodology simply because it sounds like it is crossing the line of traditionalists/absolutists would be tragic.

History in virtually all fields, not just tea, bears this out.

However please do not misconstrue my meaning, I am all for tradition, but even traditional sencha offering like asamushi were innovations a relatively short time ago.

Apr 26th, '11, 22:44

by edkrueger » Apr 26th, '11, 22:44

"What a strawman," I have no clue what you are even implying? Can you please explain this?
Its a fallacious form of argument. Essentially you attack a very weak, comical, version of an argument instead of the actual argument.
Anyone? I was directly referring to your post.
I didn't think so, hence the charge of strawmaning.
I would say the risk of possible failure is well worth it given the successful innovations along the way. To not try a new methodology simply because it sounds like it is crossing the line of traditionalists/absolutists would be tragic.
Another strawman. You are putting words into my mouth. I don't that you understand the how I used the word absolutist. In the context I admitted to being one, it just means one that believes that truth exists. I also don't see why you associate traditionalists and absolutists. Finally, I think it would be tragic if every product introduced to the market place were immune to critique. However, I am certainly not suggesting that there should be some injunction against the creation of this product and from an ethical standpoint I am glad it brings you pleasure. The same goes for people who like Coca Cola, McDonald's, and, *gasp*, even the NFL. [I don't mean to imply that fukamushi is at the level of the above things, certainly it requires more talent in aesthetic appreciation.]

P.S. The original comment was meant as a joke. I think that beer people, whether or not they like extreme beer, would at least find mildly amusing. I am pretty sure there are at least a few on this form that fit the target audience.

Apr 26th, '11, 22:56

by AdamMY » Apr 26th, '11, 22:56

edkrueger wrote: P.S. The original comment was meant as a joke. I think that beer people, whether or not they like extreme beer, would at least find mildly amusing. I am pretty sure there are at least a few on this form that fit the target audience.
I actually thought the the comment was a joke from the very beginning, and beer is one of those industries where people are getting so "creative" with it you really need to stand back and ask "Is this really beer" in certain situations. Not to mention brewers seem to constantly be redefining styles, which often makes for incredibly variation within a certain style, which depending on your viewpoint could be great or horrible.

In a similar view it would be more along the lines of looking at the differences between Fuka and Asa, and just considering them in the style Sencha. Not everyone that likes Fuka likes Asa, and vice versa, which is why they further refined the categories. It is almost as if Ed is calling into question to what end will the refine the categories, I mean is it worth it if you need to define a whole new category for a single tea?

Apr 26th, '11, 23:01

by iannon » Apr 26th, '11, 23:01

AdamMY wrote:
edkrueger wrote: P.S. The original comment was meant as a joke. I think that beer people, whether or not they like extreme beer, would at least find mildly amusing. I am pretty sure there are at least a few on this form that fit the target audience.
I actually thought the the comment was a joke from the very beginning, and beer is one of those industries where people are getting so "creative" with it you really need to stand back and ask "Is this really beer" in certain situations. Not to mention brewers seem to constantly be redefining styles, which often makes for incredibly variation within a certain style, which depending on your viewpoint could be great or horrible.

In a similar view it would be more along the lines of looking at the differences between Fuka and Asa, and just considering them in the style Sencha. Not everyone that likes Fuka likes Asa, and vice versa, which is why they further refined the categories. It is almost as if Ed is calling into question to what end will the refine the categories, I mean is it worth it if you need to define a whole new category for a single tea?
I sorta get this..probably being part of that target audience of beer drinkers :lol: sometimes its like.."really??" as Adam was saying.

Apr 26th, '11, 23:20

by Chip » Apr 26th, '11, 23:20

For those who do not drink beer and did not get the joke, perhaps an emoticon would have been helpful. I honestly did not get the point. I took it as simply a knock on Maromi because it is more steamed and roasted, even though it was not tasted by the poster. I see nothing wrong with trying new approaches to processing teas.

I do not appreciate the strawman comment(s). I think we can do w/o name calling which is an attempt to belittle another in order to further one's point.

I will stick with my points nevertheless. They were not intended to be pointing directly at Ed, they were comments in general based upon the topic of discussion. And they were certainly not straw ... you say going too far, I say innovation rocks. Seems like I am on subject. I felt Ed was rather pointed, so I was equally in response.

Bottom line, w/o innovation, we would be throwing green leaves off the bush into water.

And lastly, if one calls oneself an absolutist on a forum, one should be very clear what one means. I read every definition of absolutist on dictionary.com after that post months ago, maybe you should too Ed so you know how you could be interpreted.

OK, seriously lastly, I did not say an absolutist and a traditionalist are the same thing.

Apr 26th, '11, 23:48

by iannon » Apr 26th, '11, 23:48

oh..I did choose Light Steamed! :D
but I enjoy a good Chu and Fuka too which is where i started from anyways

Apr 27th, '11, 00:53

by Chip » Apr 27th, '11, 00:53

Do not get me wrong, I actually always have one asa and one fuka open, well virtually all the time. I like all steam levels, this adds variety. I do not expect anyone to precribe to my preferences, and prefer everyone to find their pathway with as much or as little guidance as they desire.

Ed is an absolutist. I prefer to remain open minded, thus Ed and I often find ourselves at odds since my perception is that we differ considerably. Yet as frustrated as I may get with him, I do like him ... as I have told him in PMs.

But I find myself always defending fuka and those who prefer fuka from very strong language often coming from those who absolutely prefer asa. I do not see those who prefer fuka responding in kind ... it is interesting in a way only a sencha lover could appreciate. :lol:

It is the sencha version of the traditionalists versus nontraditionalists.

May 3rd, '11, 00:52

by silverneedles » May 3rd, '11, 00:52

...ultra deep steamed? whats happened in the past year??? what is that
anyone try it ... whats it taste like?
?... ?

+ Post Reply