What are your favourite gyokuros?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 20th, '15, 05:57

Re: what are your favourite gyokuros?

by hobin » Jul 20th, '15, 05:57

Tead Off wrote:
hobin wrote:about water choice: sen no rikyu used the water of his well--not the best choice according to the classic of tea...
So, who are you going to believe? Of course, we have no way of knowing what their water actually contained. Plus, the world of tea has changed radically since they lived. The only way to gain some modicum of understanding is to experiment and pay attention. Even then, your own subjectivity will color everything you experience. It's just the way it is. :D
exactly... no fixed rule but your personal taste :D

Jul 20th, '15, 08:46

by Daniel_Green_Minded » Jul 20th, '15, 08:46

purringtons wrote:
Daniel_Green_Minded wrote:
purringtons wrote:so i finally got around to buying a shiboridashi and used it for the yame gyokuro from o-cha :D so far i've made it about 5 times with minor variations in time and temperature and they all turned out great tbh. still i wonder if anyone else has tried the yame gyokuro and if so what brewing parameters are used?

also, i'm looking to try out more gyokuro so hit me up with your favs! :~)
I see you've got the Sami scoop from hibki? Did you buy it for the free tencha karigane with free delivery as I did? lol
ah no i've had the tea scoop for ages i don't even know where it's from.. but i did buy shincha matcha from hibiki to score the free kargane :lol:
and how is the shincha matcha? i like my hibiki teas but i haven't tried their matcha

Jul 20th, '15, 13:51

by chingwa » Jul 20th, '15, 13:51

Shincha matcha...? Has shincha now officially jumped the shark? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jul 20th, '15, 13:53

by chingwa » Jul 20th, '15, 13:53

It's been a while since I've ordered from Hibiki-an, but I remember their higher end matcha to be very good... as was their higher-end Gyokuro. Mid-lower end, not so much.

Jul 20th, '15, 14:18

by purringtons » Jul 20th, '15, 14:18

about the shincha matcha.. i'm terrible at describing tastes but it's unique enough to be clearly distinguished from the standard ones and i really like it? it's lighter and not as pungent.. kinda reminds me of the matcha x almond milk lattes that are all over nyc right now but with the matcha component isolated and enhanced? lol omg idk but i like it i'll order again next year!

Jul 21st, '15, 10:35

by chingwa » Jul 21st, '15, 10:35

Huh. I'm really curious now what it tastes like. :shock: Perhaps next year... :D

Jul 21st, '15, 11:01

by Tead Off » Jul 21st, '15, 11:01

chingwa wrote:Huh. I'm really curious now what it tastes like. :shock: Perhaps next year... :D
If you don't like shincha, the chances are that the matcha shincha would not be suitable for you either. Don't forget, that gyokuro is never sold right after processing. They wait for a number of months. For me, all the Japanese greens need time mellowing and I would think that this is especially true for matcha. But, maybe some will like it. :D

Jul 21st, '15, 19:47

by chingwa » Jul 21st, '15, 19:47

Yeah the mellower the better! I'd agree a little maturation time is best for all Japanese greens, but gyokuro and matcha especially. I usually avoid shincha completely, though this year I did happen to have a couple bags of new sencha... not bad, but would have been better to have waited.

Aug 29th, '15, 17:12

Re: What are your favourite gyokuros?

by Aredhel » Aug 29th, '15, 17:12

Tead Off may you tell us the water's chimical parameters for brewing Gyokuro? just in your experience!

Aug 30th, '15, 01:12

Re: What are your favourite gyokuros?

by Tead Off » Aug 30th, '15, 01:12

Aredhel wrote:Tead Off may you tell us the water's chimical parameters for brewing Gyokuro? just in your experience!
I find mineral water the best. On the softer side. I use a local Thai water that you wouldn't be able to get outside of Thailand. Don't know the mineral breakdown but the ph is around 7.1.

Try Volvic.

+ Post Reply