Salsero wrote:tenuki wrote:chamekke wrote:I want ... UtiliTea.
Upton Tea has what looks like the same kettle and they ship to canada.

Scruff and I both have the Upton Kettle and it is nice. As I understand it, the Adagio product is better somehow, but the Upton has worked well for me. The variable setting is disappointing in that the same setting heats a small amount of water to a higher temp than it heats a large amount of water, but it does offer at least some control.
Thanks for letting me know about this one. For anyone else who's interested, the Upton Kettle can be found at
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/catalo ... goryID=196.
From the little I've read, Adagio has a slightly newer ("improved") version of the kettle... Has anyone tried the old
and new models? I wonder how significant the differences are.
Edit: I've just looked through the PDF manual that Upton Tea provides. According to them, their AK16 Variable Temperature Model only works reliably (in terms of less-than-boiling temperature settings) when the kettle is filled to the 36-oz MAX metal marker. Otherwise (the manual says), "small amounts of water will come to a full boil at lower dial settings (AK16). The most consistent results will be obtained when the kettle is filled to the internal 36-oz MAX indicator." It then says that you can always use a tea thermometer to adjust the result...
The thing is, I want a kettle that will heat the water to the lower temperature I want for green teas, OR a regular kettle that will boil small amounts that I can then stick my thermometer into. The prospect of having to boil 32 ounces every time I want to fill a small pot really bugs me, in an environmentally irritable sort of way
