thanks for the book recomendations -
"The Web That Has No Weaver" (Kaptchuk.) - is very inexpensive used on the web ($1.68 ), where "A Brief History of Qi" - seems to have some very very silly expensive pricing (upto over $200.00 !!)
re: Aspergillus - I though the news article was interesting, though an extreme and unlikely scenario for tea drinkers. I would be more worried about the places they make tea, where large quanities of fungus-y tea particles are floating around.
I did not know they sterilize the shou - if so, how can it continue to age ?
Jun 15th, '08, 07:25
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th, '06, 12:42
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch
I think others have covered what I was going to type.
anyway.
While we await western medicine catching up with TCM regarding time spent stuyding pu-erh then I'll stick with the TCM guidelines.
By sticking with the guidelines I mean drinking whilst being aware that there may be potential downsides, much as I smoke or drink alcohol.
I suspect a large scale scientific experiment might prove that loads of young sheng can give you a sore tummy.
The other issue is that a proper scientific study is unlikely to be around for some time. As in a study of 1000 people drinking sheng over 5 years showing little ill effects will provide little light on the effects of one person drinking it daily for 50yrs.
anyway.
While we await western medicine catching up with TCM regarding time spent stuyding pu-erh then I'll stick with the TCM guidelines.
By sticking with the guidelines I mean drinking whilst being aware that there may be potential downsides, much as I smoke or drink alcohol.
I suspect a large scale scientific experiment might prove that loads of young sheng can give you a sore tummy.
The other issue is that a proper scientific study is unlikely to be around for some time. As in a study of 1000 people drinking sheng over 5 years showing little ill effects will provide little light on the effects of one person drinking it daily for 50yrs.
Jun 15th, '08, 13:02
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 31st, '08, 02:44
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
it is listed for $13.03 at walmart, but not online. It appears to be out of print, so I really really doubt you will find it in your local walmart, but who knows ??
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=1178099
the ISBN is 0912111631, which helps if you want to search for it -
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=1178099
the ISBN is 0912111631, which helps if you want to search for it -
Jun 16th, '08, 07:13
Posts: 73
Joined: May 5th, '08, 21:16
Location: Northern VA, DC area
Sheng that is less than 10 years old is too young to drink.TomVerlain wrote:This is very intersting reading. I have a few points -
1) Exactly what is considered young sheng ? Spring 2008 ? 2007 ? 1999 ?
According to the "local" teamaster in Seoul, Sheng should not be drunken much younger than 17 years old in order to "get its full benefits." Shou should be at least 10 years old.