Tuesday TeaDay 8/19/08 # of Teas daily in the Summer?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How many Teas do you have each day on average in the Summer and is it more or less than colder mnths?

1 and more during the Summer
3%
1 and less than during colder months
11%
2 and more during the Summer
14%
2 and less than during colder months
16%
3 and more during the Summer
22%
3 and less than during colder months
16%
4 and more during the Summer
8%
4 and less than during colder months
5%
5 and more during the Summer
No votes
5 land less than during colder months
No votes
More than 5 and more during the Summer
5%
More than 5 and less than during colder months
No votes

Total votes: 37

Aug 19th, '08, 14:23

by Wosret » Aug 19th, '08, 14:23

No option for "no change" between the warm and cold months? My only reason for reducing my tea intake lately is due to pregnancy! ;)

Aug 19th, '08, 16:05

by laran7 » Aug 19th, '08, 16:05

My tea drinking depends more on how my day is scheduled - and where I
am - than on what I would prefer. In the summer, I have a couple of different part time jobs - sometimes there is time to drink tea, sometimes there's just too much going on.( tourists and children) I have tea with a friend before the afternoon starts, Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday there's very little time - so I wait til the evening. I drink more tea in the colder months because I can plan to drink it at work.

I like chaos - its just hard to plan one's day around.

For instance this morning - I was out of my favorite loose Darjeeling - grabbed some teabags, over brewed them - with an undrinkable result! Never never never again!

I'm (carefully) making some nice peaceful Oolong (Adagio wuyi ensemble) for the afternoon.

Aug 19th, '08, 16:12

by Katrina » Aug 19th, '08, 16:12

Congratulations Wosret! Very exciting. When is your due date?

I couldn't answer today's poll because my consumption doesn't really change with the seasons.

GeekGirl - I too have fallen in love with those tins. They're so beautiful. I have many guests who simply refuse to drink loose leaf (in great fear that a single leaf will escape into their cup...So sad.) so I am always on the lookout for palatable tea bags. I've actually liked some of the Zhena's. Have you seen the sample stacking tins? (I tried to post a picture but for some reason just the source code is showing, not the photo so I deleted it...)

Today I had a blend called "The Exchange" from Elmwood Inn that was made specifically for Wenham Tea House. Need to find out more about it. Yunnan is in it. That's all I know so far.

Aug 19th, '08, 16:48

by Wosret » Aug 19th, '08, 16:48

Thanks Katrina. :) I'm due in mid-December, so it's going to be a long while yet before I can drink as much tea as I'd like. A friend of mine couldn't have any caffeine at all while she was breastfeeding, as it gave her daughter the jitters! :lol:

Aug 19th, '08, 16:57

by Gu-Ao-Rui » Aug 19th, '08, 16:57

I drink at least 5 cups of several varying types of tea a day in summer and winter. I have more time in the summer so then I drink more.

Aug 19th, '08, 17:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 19th, '08, 17:15

Congrats, Worset! We will drink tea in your stead ...

I am really enjoying a TeaMasters Sub Tropic Forest BaoZhong that just arrived from Victoria. While the greenness is quite evident, I am wondering if this had an ever so slight roasting along the way adding to the complexity of this very nice green oolong.

Comparing this to the other Baozhong I have from TeaMasters, I sense maybe this is more complex, but now I am very curious and want to taste them side by side this weekend maybe.

The one thing that left me momentarily speechless (yes, hard to believe) was the aroma in my smelling cup. I will never forget this as this is I think the first time I really tried this way exactly and was so blown away by it. I am very olfactory generally.

This time, I poured the tea into my tasting cup from the smelling cup as I normally do, then smelling, I picked up the green and a slight toasty sensation along with mild sweetness. I exhaled fully, and smelled again, this time the aroma was sweeter, more floral. I thought, wow, let me try that again. Exhaled fully, and breathed in slowly and fully, WOW, sweeter yet, more floral yet. Lilac came to mind, but gentle. The forth sniff it began to subside. So with each subsequent steep, the aroma became sweeter and more desirable (to me).

I will never forget this as this is I think the first time I really tried this way exactly and was so blown away by it. I am very olfactory generally.

I just tried this with the 3rd steep as well. Very similar smelling evolution. Greener oolongs just blow me away more and more. This is really complex and amazing. I cannot wait to try it side by side with the 2 year old plant offering.

9 years drinking tea, and I am still learning!
Last edited by Chip on Aug 19th, '08, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 19th, '08, 17:25

by Victoria » Aug 19th, '08, 17:25

I knew you'd like it, it's a nice one with a great aroma as you said.

As for me I'm on a second steep of Iron Goddess King
here in my work cup.

Aug 19th, '08, 17:28

by Chip » Aug 19th, '08, 17:28

The taste was very good as well, just got carried away with the aroma. Thanx for sharing!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 19th, '08, 17:58

by TimeforTea » Aug 19th, '08, 17:58

Hmmm.... Okay Auggy and Chip....Neti pot and JAPANESE green tea it is. (I have lots of non Japanese green tea...) :roll: Auggy, keep me on it!

Aug 19th, '08, 18:00

by daughteroftheKing » Aug 19th, '08, 18:00

Wosret - So that you may drink your tea vicariously through us, I will head up the challenge to up my tea consumption by an additional cup every other day. :D
In that line, my 3rd tea for the day is a smooth, light, White Darjeeling with just enough caffeine to finish the work day.

TimeforTea - If you're still reading this thread for suggestions about teas to help with sinus/allergies/etc.: I obviously promote tea to help as much as the next teachatter, but I personally swear by Apple Cider Vinegar. 2-3 times a day, I drink 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar (has to be the organic vinegar with the mother in it) in a glass of cold water. You may add favorite sweetner, preferably honey or liquid stevia. ACV is absolutely amazing for building up our resistance to disease and cleansing the system, IMO anyway.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Aug 19th, '08, 18:08

by Katrina » Aug 19th, '08, 18:08

I figured out my image problem of earlier. Sorry.

Anyway, the middle two stacks are sampler tins from Zhena. How cool is that?

Sometimes the "marketing geniuses" are successful.

Aug 19th, '08, 18:35

Re: Panyong Congou Black

by augie » Aug 19th, '08, 18:35

Salsero wrote:I am always amazed how you mothers with young ones manage to find time to post a note here in TeaDay, given how hectic things can get.
it was a stretch today. I had to let some of the cleaning staff go and I am down to one cleaning person. :wink: I get by.
Katrina wrote:Sometimes the "marketing geniuses" are successful.
LOL Oh, my gosh! I found that very brand of tea 3 weeks ago at Kroger in Indy. It was on the clearance table for pocket change so I bought it, being a sucker. It was one like the stacked canisters in the center, but different flavors. it made acceptable iced tea.

Aug 19th, '08, 18:44

by Jack_teachat » Aug 19th, '08, 18:44

Long Jing to finish the day, I'm starting to love this tea!

Aug 19th, '08, 20:07

Breastfeeding and caffeine

by kymidwife » Aug 19th, '08, 20:07

Wosret wrote:Thanks Katrina. :) I'm due in mid-December, so it's going to be a long while yet before I can drink as much tea as I'd like. A friend of mine couldn't have any caffeine at all while she was breastfeeding, as it gave her daughter the jitters! :lol:
Wosret... certainly you should consult with and follow the advice of your own care provider (although lots of OB-GYNs don't know diddly-poo about lactation)...

But for what it's worth... I tell my patients that a "moderate" intake of caffeine during pregnancy and breastfeeding is ok... and I define that as no more than 2 cups of coffee, tea, or soda a day. Now, that being said, I know tons of my younger moms drink much more than 2 sodas a day. The funny thing is, we rarely see caffeine withdrawal symptoms in babies when the moms breastfeed.

-I think if you are consistent in your caffeine consumption during pregnancy and breastfeeding, your baby will have a certain tolerance for it. The baby weans slowly off of the caffeine as he/she slowly weans off the breastmilk, which seems to be a kinder and gentler way.
-If you do zero caffeine while pregnant and then resume a moderate to high intake while breastfeeding, your baby may react and get jittery.
-If you drink moderate to high caffeine while pregnant and bottlefeed instead of breastfeed, the baby goes through immediate caffeine withdrawal and tends to be very irritable, jittery, and unhappy for a few days. Imagine a newborn with a caffeine headache.
-And in a perfect world, you do zero caffeine, zero nicotine, and zero medications while pregnant and breastfeeding. That perfect world is rather elusive, so it's good to know the reasonable alternatives. And I just can't imagine a perfect world without tea!

I'm a major breastfeeding advocate... breastmilk is to babies as exquisite tea is to US... the perfect beverage.

Hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice, and again, I don't mean to take the place of your regular care provider, but it's a topic I end up talking about daily, so I thought I'd put forth my .02.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Aug 19th, '08, 20:41

by Geekgirl » Aug 19th, '08, 20:41

Katrina wrote:
Anyway, the middle two stacks are sampler tins from Zhena. How cool is that?
I love it, haven't seen those! Okay, I'm going to try NOT to look for them, because I don't need anymore of the Zhena tins, since they are not they best on airtightness. But I have to admit I'd be very tempted. :lol: