Looking for gateway Green!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 4th, '08, 05:30

by Vulture » Nov 4th, '08, 05:30

Update:

So far I have tried a couple greens using my new gaiwan. The two I tried tonight was Gunpowder and Spiced Green (adagio flavored). From that plus smelling the others I got in the sampler, it seems a common element to be vegital. I don't mind a little vegital but there isn't anything so far to compliment it within the teas I tried.

Am I just brewing wrong or is that a general taste in greens?

Nov 4th, '08, 08:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 4th, '08, 08:23

Vulture wrote:Update:

So far I have tried a couple greens using my new gaiwan. The two I tried tonight was Gunpowder and Spiced Green (adagio flavored). From that plus smelling the others I got in the sampler, it seems a common element to be vegital. I don't mind a little vegital but there isn't anything so far to compliment it within the teas I tried.

They can be, but there are other flavors such as sweet, nutty, grassy, floral, and fruity. But greens tend to be subtle in their nuances. Takes some getting used to.

Lowering temps can increase sweetness, higher temps can increase astringency and vegetal. But each green is different. The two you have tried are hardly par for the course. I just tried their new Emerald Needles, very sweet.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 4th, '08, 08:54

by Vulture » Nov 4th, '08, 08:54

Chip wrote:

They can be, but there are other flavors such as sweet, nutty, grassy, floral, and fruity. But greens tend to be subtle in their nuances. Takes some getting used to.

Lowering temps can increase sweetness, higher temps can increase astringency and vegetal. But each green is different. The two you have tried are hardly par for the course. I just tried their new Emerald Needles, very sweet.
Yah I tried them at work so I couldn't control temps well. It might just be the vegital is the overbrewing/badbrewing taste that comes from greens. Kinda like the bitterness in blacks.

Nov 4th, '08, 13:51

by Shelob » Nov 4th, '08, 13:51

I know you are just trying lots of teas, but until you try Japanese greens...well truly IMHO you haven't tried green :shock:

Take the time to read through the green tea threads for more information, that's what I did. However, everyone has a preferred taste and yours may not be green. However, you do need to try the 'good stuff'! BUT... try Japanese green before dismissing the greens 8) O-Cha's a good place to start looking.

Nov 4th, '08, 15:00

by auggy » Nov 4th, '08, 15:00

I think sometimes teas have a good vegetal taste, but sometimes there will be a kind of boiled spinach taste which I don't enjoy. It's like the leaves have been cooked. Some teas seem to do this to me more often and I can usually avoid it by decreasing temp.

However, I have no idea if the unpleasant veggie taste is the same vegetal taste you are getting. I enjoy the "fresh" veggie taste (vs "boiled") so if that is the taste you aren't liking as much, I am of no help.

Nov 4th, '08, 15:38

by Victoria » Nov 4th, '08, 15:38

I think those who like Japanese greens really enjoy vegetables, and don't mind that aspect. I am more of a fruit person, never met a fruit I don't like, but I don't care for most vegetables and I don't eat salad. So loving greens has been a challenge. Chinese greens are more appealing to me.

Nov 4th, '08, 16:45

by Pentox » Nov 4th, '08, 16:45

Victoria wrote: I am more of a fruit person, never met a fruit I don't like,.
Ever met a durian?

Nov 4th, '08, 16:48

by Shelob » Nov 4th, '08, 16:48

Victoria wrote:I think those who like Japanese greens really enjoy vegetables, and don't mind that aspect, but I don't care for most vegetables and I don't eat salad. So loving greens has been a challenge.
She could be right, I just love salads, especially spinach and there isn't a veggie i don't like! But, still give the Japanese greens a try!

Nov 4th, '08, 16:53

by Salsero » Nov 4th, '08, 16:53

Shelob wrote: there isn't a veggie i don't like! But, still give the Japanese greens a try!
When brewed properly, I would say it's profile is closer to crack cocaine than to vegetables.

Nov 4th, '08, 17:00

by Shelob » Nov 4th, '08, 17:00

Salsero wrote:
Shelob wrote: there isn't a veggie i don't like! But, still give the Japanese greens a try!
When brewed properly, I would say it's profile is closer to crack cocaine than to vegetables.
and Sal, I am interested in knowing how one would know that particular profile :shock:

Nov 4th, '08, 17:01

by Victoria » Nov 4th, '08, 17:01

Pentox wrote:
Victoria wrote: I am more of a fruit person, never met a fruit I don't like,.
Ever met a durian?
No - but I looked it up!! I'd give it a try!

Nov 4th, '08, 19:03

by ngower » Nov 4th, '08, 19:03

I bought the Buddha's Eyebrow mentioned earlier in this thread, can't wait to give it a go.

Nov 4th, '08, 19:16

by Rakuras » Nov 4th, '08, 19:16

I swear you never ask one of your quasi-secret green loving friends, Vulture. I'll bring you over this Quince Green, Green Pekoe, and the Anji to try- likely tonight if all goes well. Also try those green teabags I brought you when you moved in as they are surprisingly good for teabags as they are diced small enough to allow for proper expansion as well as smooth heating. Just watch out for the dust that filters through each envelope! Otherwise we have your green samples from last night to deal with as well as this other Gunpowder from a small shop in New Mexico that the family decided to guinea pig me on. Wish they sent me a Jasmine from the shop, though, but that's another matter. Now whatever are your thoughts on all those greens you've tried, hmm?

Note on the temperature issues: you need a not so silent kettle. One that rumbles, whistles, or the like is essential to good green brewing as you need to be aware of the relative temperatures by sound as a watched kettle never boils. Mine, for instance, starts rattling when I push down on it when the water is around 190 degrees. Below that it puffs a little when pressed down and above that it sizzled and mocks whistling around the top rather than the spout. As much as you get distracted the basics of temperature might require you to get the Adagio kettle for home sooner as your Dailies alone keep you occupied well beyond boiling. Now back to critiquing your Blended brew.

Nov 28th, '08, 17:23

Bump

by treazure » Nov 28th, '08, 17:23

I hope you don't mind me bumping this one up, but if I don't, it will get lost and all this great information will be hidden.

I had forgotten that one of the few green teas I really liked was Long Jing. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to get more as a change from my black teas.

Here's why I'm here. My beloved daughter in love has finally shocked me. She likes green tea and wants to try more of them. That isn't so shocking, just a pleasant surprise. What was shocking was..... please forgive me for typing this...she uses tea bags.

Please, be strong, I haven't gotten to the worst part. The bags are Lipton, out dated and bought for a buck.

So, I'm going to try a couple of sampler kits for her, along with the teapot and tea toys we've planned for her Christmas present, so please keep writing out suggestions. I'll be sending her to Tea Chat, which is probably a bad idea because she'll stay up all night reading and chatting and fall asleep at work.

I don't think she is ready for the how hong kong ding how foo bok choi do thing yet, or whisking and things. Little baby steps.

Thanks
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Dec 3rd, '08, 09:13
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 3rd, '08, 09:13

olivierco wrote:It is from a so called "sencha set" I bought on ebay. Due to its little size, I use it mostly for gyokuro but also sometimes for sencha brewed at lower temperatures.

I don't know exactly what the design elements are. I guess chamekke could tell.
So cute! I saw similar set on ebay but wasn't sure of the details. Your large picture shows the porcelain and pattern very well!
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

+ Post Reply