My experience at Teavana.

For general/other topics related to tea.

May 23rd, '10, 11:17

Re: My experience at Teavana.

by raindog » May 23rd, '10, 11:17

First off, I would like to thank the original post author for an eye-opening confirmation about the Teavana corporate culture and philosophy. This is what I suspected as a customer.

Secondly, I would like to also say that I do love their herbal and flavored rooibos teas. I still buy them online when I need them. However, I refuse to go to their brick and mortar stores ever again. Also, I only buy from them what I can't get anywhere else. Their actual tea (white, black, and green) are overpriced and subpar.

My experience at Teavana, Short Pump Towne Center in Richmond, Virginia has been terrible. I do not like going there, even though I should. The annoying portly Captain Upsell from the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento posted previously about must have a twin!
conticreative wrote: I have had my own experiences at my local Teavana with the assistant manager (a portly, pushy and highly annoying fellow) trying to sell me always the most expensive item and only reluctantly offering less expensive wares. I may be anything, but I am not a push over.
I am not a push over either, and even I got taken for a couple bucks on an over-priced white tea that I really didn't want. But here's how my experience has been:

1st time ever: I go in cause I like tea and I want one of their "Perfect Tea Makers". My sister has one and it's cool. I wait a long time while Captain Pushy tries to sell everything in the store to people that just wanted some tea. I try to get a little tea, they start to put it in the tin, I ask if the tin is included. No? Well put it in a bag then. I also noticed that there was a slight overpour, but I was OK with that. As I said, I like tea. It was really busy, so I really didn't get the full treatment. The tea was a black, and it was only OK. Ironically, I don't really like their tea teas. I think their quality is relatively low, and no white, black, or green that is not an estate tea should be so expensive.

2nd time: I want to get some Flavored Rooibus as Iced Tea, and Teavana is the only one with a really good lime Rooibos. Captain Upsell overpours a 4oz order as a 6oz. I was OK with that, but irritated after I left 'cause I felt that he did it on purpose. He tries to put it in a tin by asking what kind of tin I would like. I said the bag kind. Right after he poured the Rooibos, he asked if I wanted to get some "real" tea, because Rooibos "isn't really tea". He then proceeded to retrieve some super expensive tea pearls. I declined, 'cause I don't think their regular teas are so great. I leave with my lime Rooibos, but kind of miffed by the whole experience.

The next time I order, I ordered a bunch of samples online, because the store sucks. I love their flavored Rooibos and can't resist.

3rd time: The deal breaker! I want to try the MateVana because Teavana flavors teas really well and I also wanted to replace a flavored Rooibos that I was low on. Because the flavored Rooibos are so good, I also thought a flavored tea of some kind would be nice. That was a mistake. I already am aware that they upsell ruthlessly, but I still fell prey, if only for a few bucks. This time Captain Pushy is obviously training someone, and she tried all the same tactics. The MateVana she overpoured and asked if it was OK. This time I said "no, it's not" because I thought she did it on purpose. Then she asked what tin I wanted. I said none. Then she got the flavored Rooibos I wanted and poured it correctly. When it came time to show me a tea, Captain Pushy jumped in. First they wanted to show me the most expensive white, but I said I was only interested in a flavored tea. Then they started going down the price ladder. I stopped at a tea that I really liked the smell of. Turns out, it was a $12 white. They never even showed me any other kind. When she poured it, she poured 2oz on the nose, which made me think they were pretty good at eyeing amounts when they know you won't go for the overpour. When it rang up as expensive, I mentioned it was a little pricey, and Captain Pushy said that the resteeps made it worth it. I thought he was full of it, but since it was only 2oz's, I let it slide. But later, I got really annoyed by the whole experience. Not only was the tea a subpar resteep, but when I looked over all their teas I saw a few that I really would have liked more. Unfortunately, they were priced too low to have ever even been shown to me. I don't even feel I can go in the store to browse!

Teavana makes their stores a place that you want to avoid at all cost. I think their approach is a mistake and it turns me off. Friends I initially recommended Teavana to have had the same bad experiences, right down the line. I would never recommend going to Teavana to anyone who wants to learn about tea, it's like sending a lamb to slaughter.

Too bad, their flavored teas are yummy.

May 23rd, '10, 13:04

by rabbit » May 23rd, '10, 13:04

All this talk about pushy managers kinda makes me want to go in there and be the WORST customer (for the store) ever, do everything against how they would want it done and see if I can get people angry at me by just acting innocent }:D Mwahahahahahaaww!!!

May 23rd, '10, 18:43

by LauraW » May 23rd, '10, 18:43

rabbit wrote:All this talk about pushy managers kinda makes me want to go in there and be the WORST customer (for the store) ever, do everything against how they would want it done and see if I can get people angry at me by just acting innocent }:D Mwahahahahahaaww!!!
It's definitely tempting, and makes me glad there's not one in my area!! The place we have in the mall here is cozy, small, friendly staff - available when you want help, but are happy to let you browse (which is much easier considering they have small tins to let customers smell what they have on the shelves). It's also a one-store deal, I believe, so they can't afford to have people only visit once.

May 23rd, '10, 20:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 23rd, '10, 20:13

My SIL told me last night that a new store just opened at South Coast Plaza which is near me. She went in there and said they tried to push all the usual angles, but she just wanted some jasmine green and some of the dragon pearls. They tried to talk her in to more volume and then tried to add a cannister, and of course the tetsubin routine, but she was firm. She said "Look I know what I want, if you keep pushing, I won't buy anything" and they backed off.

May 27th, '10, 07:16

by holly » May 27th, '10, 07:16

I feel this story to the core: I had an awful, awful experience at Sephora, where I was constantly abused by managerial staff and accused of stealing, of returning gratis (then they later told me "j/k"). They claimed to have "work/life" balance but I didn't get a SINGLE day I requested off. I was practically in tears all the time. Working with 20+ girly, preppy, gossipy women: BRUTAL!

I personally like a lot of Teavana teas and I will probably continue to get my favorite ones but I am also fortunate that there are a million-gazillion amazing online tea venders; I'm sure that slowly I will find new loves as a newer loose leaf tea drinker. I am also fortunate that there is a wonderful contemporary, cute, privately owned tea "house" that sells about as many loose leaf teas/blends/tisanes as Teavana. They're NOT pushy, they love their regulars who come in for a cup, and they sell by 1 ounce or 3.5 ounce tins, which is nice for me. When you eat in, they bring you the tea on a tray before putting it in the pot and talk about it, offer you to smell it, and there is their ritual of timing it, taking out the strainer, and pouring your first cup. Already, 4 of their teas have a charmed me enough to go back for more and I purchased two 1 ounce tins.

I was considering applying at Teavana in South Coast since it's not too far and they're hiring, seeing as they just opened (NO WHERE seems to want to hire college students) but that story makes me wary...

May 27th, '10, 09:20

by Victoria » May 27th, '10, 09:20

I would save yourself the grief. The rent at SCP must be astronomical and they will be forced to push their salespeople. I would stay far away. Macy's would be better and you get great discounts.

But as for shopping there, just be firm, or just by online. Or tell them you are going to buy online if they keep pushing. They have some lovely wares.

May 28th, '10, 21:18

by stebbieya » May 28th, '10, 21:18

I absolutely agree. Something is wrong at Teavana. I love tea and was excited to see this store in the mall. So, I tried some samples and ended up buying some tea. The sales girl automatically started filling it in a large tin, but when my husband asked point blank whether the Teavana tin was necessary to buy in order to purchase the tea, she said yes. This didn't sit well with me. This means to buy tea we would have to purchase the tin each time? So I looked online and it appears that buying them online would not require a tin purchase. This is very misleading and leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about the ethics of this store. I also don't understand a minimum purchase amount? How else will I be able to try the various teas? I will from now on only purchase tea from my favorite local organic tea stores. I don't like that they are giving my favorite thing in this world (tea) such a corporate taste. Everyone else stay clear of Teavana, there are plenty of other tea sources. Rishi is great too!

May 30th, '10, 10:06

by rabbit » May 30th, '10, 10:06

As long as those in charge of the new Adagio store-front pay attention to this thread all shall be well in the world :)

Jun 3rd, '10, 00:58
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jun 3rd, '10, 00:58

I finally got to see a Teavana store! Our postwoman told me Teavana came to the mall in our town. I went to take a look today. It's a nice small store, with two very young and nice sales ladies. Neither of them look like a manager. They both look quite relaxed and didn't sell hard at all (after reading all this, I was a little nervous because I know I am a pushover :P )

As long as their people are nice, I am really glad there is a TEA store in the mall! Millions of people have yet to see loose leaf tea and a storefront helps!

Jun 4th, '10, 05:46

by holly » Jun 4th, '10, 05:46

gingko wrote:I finally got to see a Teavana store! Our postwoman told me Teavana came to the mall in our town. I went to take a look today. It's a nice small store, with two very young and nice sales ladies. Neither of them look like a manager. They both look quite relaxed and didn't sell hard at all (after reading all this, I was a little nervous because I know I am a pushover :P )

As long as their people are nice, I am really glad there is a TEA store in the mall! Millions of people have yet to see loose leaf tea and a storefront helps!
I'm so glad I live in an area where loose leaf tea stores and places to get quality tea are plentiful! :shock: There is a Teavana near me, along with a plethora of other tea places!

Jun 4th, '10, 11:41

by Victoria » Jun 4th, '10, 11:41

holly wrote: I'm so glad I live in an area where loose leaf tea stores and places to get quality tea are plentiful! :shock: There is a Teavana near me, along with a plethora of other tea places!
Get thee to Ten Li in Fountain Valley.

Jun 4th, '10, 11:54

by debunix » Jun 4th, '10, 11:54

Get thee to Ten Li in Fountain Valley.
Don't want to hijack the topic, but I think this is the first mention of Ten Li that I'm aware of. Can you say more about it?

Jun 4th, '10, 12:19

by Victoria » Jun 4th, '10, 12:19

It's a small family owned Taiwanese tea store in a strip mall. The owner Ms. Chen is very nice, and she brings a great selection of tea back from various trips to Taiwan. Also they are packed with fabulous teaware, for such a tiny shop. They have a boba bar, which probably helps keep the business going. If you arrange with her a time she will give you a gongfu tasting session at her hand carved tea table in the back. Here's a little blurb:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/tea-1228 ... -chen.html

Jun 4th, '10, 12:35

by debunix » Jun 4th, '10, 12:35

Thanks. I'll keep that on my Tea radar for when I'm in the area.

Jun 4th, '10, 12:45

by Victoria » Jun 4th, '10, 12:45

Give me a call we can meet up there, if you want. :)

+ Post Reply