Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Aug 11th, '11, 09:28

Re: Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by Chesslover » Aug 11th, '11, 09:28

John, what are you reffering to? Are you saying that asking a question a.serrao did (in which he mentioned radiation) is in any way irrational?

Aug 11th, '11, 09:51

by JBaymore » Aug 11th, '11, 09:51

Read back through the whole thread, you'll understand. :)

best,

..............john

Aug 11th, '11, 12:59
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Aug 11th, '11, 12:59

Sorry, I'm just so sick of hearing it at this stage. It's almost as if some people "want" it to be found.

For the record: I saw reports of all the different growing areas in Uji just yesterday - Cessium, Iodine "NOT FOUND." That's for aracha by the way. Being that Kagoshima is way south of Uji, you can take it to the bank it's zero down there too.

Aug 11th, '11, 13:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 11th, '11, 13:06

Kevangogh wrote:Sorry, I'm just so sick of hearing it at this stage. It's almost as if some people "want" it to be found.

For the record: I saw reports of all the different growing areas in Uji just yesterday - Cessium, Iodine "NOT FOUND." That's for aracha by the way. Being that Kagoshima is way south of Uji, you can take it to the bank it's zero down there too.
Yes, I do believe there are those who would want it to be found. The media and the anti nukes to name two. This is the way of the world.

Thank you for the great update re Uji!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 11th, '11, 16:33

by a.serrao » Aug 11th, '11, 16:33

Uji tea has been thoroughly tested, what are you talking about? The answer is zero radiation was found.
Can you post a link of a government source that tests Uji cha?
Like this: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/2011eq/index.html

It's not that I want radiation to be found, is that I don't find any government source (hence my "IF ANY") to publish tea or food tests in other than the same known affected prefectures.

I'm also tired of being pointed as the one who wants to make disinformation. As long as you have the right to express your opinions I've got the freedom to ask what I think is interesting. That's democracy.

Aug 12th, '11, 08:51

by fdrx » Aug 12th, '11, 08:51

i've been waiting for months information on the 200 tons of corium that are in Daiichi ground and we still don't know anything on that... that's weird because tepco knows (thermical cameras,...)
i'm shure Uji area is safe but i can understand that some buyers outside japan are still wondering how things are going on since they buy japanese green tea for healthy reasons too...

Aug 12th, '11, 18:20

by a.serrao » Aug 12th, '11, 18:20

fdrx wrote:i've been waiting for months information on the 200 tons of corium that are in Daiichi ground and we still don't know anything on that... that's weird because tepco knows (thermical cameras,...)
i'm shure Uji area is safe but i can understand that some buyers outside japan are still wondering how things are going on since they buy japanese green tea for healthy reasons too...
Exactly.
If you really want to know what's happening in Fukushima please have a look at this: http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/

Radioactive iodine is still found around the plant but TEPCO says no, there's no radioactive iodine.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't trust Japanese government anymore nor TEPCO nor anyone that states something without actually proving it beforehand with scientific documents.

Aug 12th, '11, 22:14

by JBaymore » Aug 12th, '11, 22:14

Wow... the credibility of that blog is amazing....what with citing Tweets and such. Clearly a far more accurate a source than anything else we might have access to.

Aug 13th, '11, 01:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 13th, '11, 01:17

... not to mention zero reports of any radiation contamination in Uji or Kyushu, etc.

Even if the gov did try to cover up radiation in tea in these regions, there are so many watchdogs sitting ready to blow the whistle. It is amazing that we have not had false reports.

Well, the Japanese anime does add a heaping of credibility, John.

The bottom line ... this topic is about tea.

Aug 13th, '11, 04:02

by a.serrao » Aug 13th, '11, 04:02

JBaymore wrote:Wow... the credibility of that blog is amazing....what with citing Tweets and such. Clearly a far more accurate a source than anything else we might have access to.
Just like as japanese government or TEPCO, right?

Aug 13th, '11, 04:04

by a.serrao » Aug 13th, '11, 04:04

Chip wrote: The bottom line ... this topic is about tea.
...and radiation.

Aug 13th, '11, 08:20

by lkj23 » Aug 13th, '11, 08:20

who trust in the goverment or tepco in a nuclear crisis like this?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿

just see the history of other disasters

radiation from fukushima was fuound all around the world.........

Aug 13th, '11, 08:35

by mlafranc » Aug 13th, '11, 08:35

I'm just finishing up a 10-day visit to Tokyo. I went to two nice tea shops. The first (my favorite, in Yanaka) had gyokuro from Kyushu -- I feel very safe with that, and bought several bags of the 2011 harvest. Their 2011 sencha teabags, however, were from Shizuoka, and the sales staff disclosed (upon my inquiry) that these indeed had detectable levels of radiation. Although these were below the levels deemed safe by the government, I did not buy any, because there are obviously other options that are safer. At the Ippodo teashop in Maranouchi, I bought matcha and sencha from Uji. I also drank koicha for the first time! I feel very comfortable with my decision to purchase these teas. You have only to look at a map of Japan to see that Kyushu and Uji are far away from the zone of contamination. Yes, the Japanese government and TEPCO have screwed up royally, but that doesn't mean that all of Japan is melting down. Next stop: Sapporo!

Aug 13th, '11, 08:43
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Aug 13th, '11, 08:43

I'm sure no one has thought to test Uji green tea for radiation. The farmers in Shizuoka who lost their crop are just going to sit back and not say anything while the Uji tea farmers continue to sell their tea without it being thoroughly tested :roll:

Aug 13th, '11, 08:45
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Aug 13th, '11, 08:45

I'm sure this will not satisfy those who have publicly stated they intend to purchase no 2011 Japanese green tea but...

http://www.ujicha.or.jp/kensae.pdf