Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 3rd, '16, 13:58

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by BioHorn » Jan 3rd, '16, 13:58

Tead Off wrote:
Frisbeehead wrote:That's really cool, BioHorn. I may have to get one of these myself in the future. One of the things that really appeals to me about them is their ability to transform my older, more stale sencha into hojicha.

The sesame roaster you linked looks nice, albeit a bit more expensive than the ones I have looked at on Thes du Japon and other Japanese vendors' stores.

I don't think I would recommend that hojiki for 2 reasons. The first is cost, when you can buy one very inexpensively at yuuki-cha, for example. The second is that the opening doesn't really allow you to get a good look at the tea you are roasting. Keeping a visual inspection is important.

Most hojicha are not made using only sencha leaves. There is a high proportion of stems that make up most hojicha. Maybe you know that already.
This one was a bit more. I like that it was handcrafted and more rustic. You have a point about the opening being more closed. That may actually wind up being a positive thing, trapping more heat rather than heating more from the bottom. This is my second time using it and am quite pleased! So far I have been more warming the tea rather than roasting. I used a thermometer and my hand to gauge the temperature of the interior.

I am not trying to push this horoku. There are many options out there. Using any kind of roaster may be a great way to improve your tea session.

Jan 3rd, '16, 15:56

by pedant » Jan 3rd, '16, 15:56

i think that the toirokitchen one is very beautiful, especially the no-longer-available design:

but that hole is too small for my taste.

the one from lin's seems really nice:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p267353
kyarazen wrote:here's a short silent video of a local tea master demonstrating the lin's ceramic roaster in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g5hx3n0Xi4

the aim is to be able to toss and turn the leaves whilst roasting to ensure that nothing gets burnt. the thumb can be hooked over the top of the vessel for a better grip if necessary.

i'll use the word "roasting" here although its not exactly roasting, just reheating/baking

so far i have observed from various occasions
1) if the tea gets burnt, or a roasty flavour.. one has "destroyed" the tea already. but then again if you let it air for a while it can still be a nice after dinner drink

2) whilst roasting, quick constant tossing ensures the leaves get sufficiently heated all round. the first notes that will appear are mostly damp, musty notes followed by sourness if any. for yancha the florals start to appear after that and becomes more and more intense. the roasting is immediately stopped after the fragrance sharpens and intensifies. it can be then transferred to another cool vessel to cool down, and can be quickly re-roasted again a second round before brewing. the second re roast is shorter and faster, since the tea has lost its damp and undesirable notes.

3) for roasting of aged pu-erh, the first notes that appear are damp, musty, wet notes, and after that a slow gradual increase/intensitification of vanillic woody notes. roasting is stopped after these notes sharpen and heighten. transferred to another vessel to cool. the leaves are never cooled in the roaster as the residual heat can scorch some of the tea
here are a couple of others to look at
http://www.yunomi.life/products/maruei- ... ster-brown
http://www.yunomi.life/products/maruei- ... ster-ivory

Jan 4th, '16, 17:16

by MarcusReed » Jan 4th, '16, 17:16

This morning I had a pressed DHP oolong. it was quite good but not as awesome as the 2014 harvest from the same supplier. :mrgreen:

Jan 5th, '16, 15:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jan 5th, '16, 15:30

Enjoying some Oriental Beauty from the pressed cakes in the MT group buy that I participated in. Point-perfect aroma that the tea almost lives up to, but that's probably more my fault than the tea's fault. It's been a while since I've brewed this particular tea. Still, a very enjoyable session.

Jan 5th, '16, 17:18

by Frisbeehead » Jan 5th, '16, 17:18

Drinking a 2015 spring Lishan from Beautiful Taiwan. I've had it since the end of spring/beginning of summer, so it is starting to lose a little bit of its fragrance and character. Still tastes good though.

Jan 6th, '16, 04:59
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 6th, '16, 04:59

Drinking 'Dayuling' I was given for free by hotel staff in Taipei. Not very good tea, even after driving off moisture at low heat, but mild and pleasant drinking regardless. Can't complain for the price either! :lol:

Jan 8th, '16, 16:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jan 8th, '16, 16:51

Just introduced another coffee drinker friend to MT's dark roast TGY and she's hooked. :mrgreen: I love that stuff as a super accessible gateway tea.

Jan 8th, '16, 21:57

by iGo » Jan 8th, '16, 21:57

Two oolongs tasted at Fang's Gourmet in Flushing, NY earlier.

50% roasted Tie Guan Yin - honey scented

Cedar Creek Competition Tea

Superb.

Jan 9th, '16, 05:02
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 9th, '16, 05:02

from Jun Chiyabari, Nepal: HBO, Himalayan bouquet. This is several months old but just opened. Wonderfully floral. When I had HBO before, it was about a year old & very good but the improvement of fresher tea is quite noticeable.

Jan 12th, '16, 00:15

by iGo » Jan 12th, '16, 00:15

Da Hong Pao to end all Da Hong Pao's at The Mandarin's Tea Room,

Wow.

Jan 12th, '16, 00:42
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 12th, '16, 00:42

Luk Yu Teahouse TGY teabag at a hospital in HK. Seriously overbrewed too. Lol

Jan 12th, '16, 03:27

by BW85 » Jan 12th, '16, 03:27

iGo wrote:Da Hong Pao to end all Da Hong Pao's at The Mandarin's Tea Room,

Wow.
Gotta say... I'm green with envy :mrgreen: would love to make it to new York if only to visit MTR

Jan 12th, '16, 16:01

by JRS22 » Jan 12th, '16, 16:01

iGo wrote:Da Hong Pao to end all Da Hong Pao's at The Mandarin's Tea Room,

Wow.
I thought the MTR closed.

Jan 12th, '16, 16:27

by iGo » Jan 12th, '16, 16:27

Not closed, moved a bit further east. Maybe more of a speakeasy then ever.

Jan 12th, '16, 18:31

by whosehair » Jan 12th, '16, 18:31

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to tea after years of being nothing but a coffee drinker. I got interested after a buddy of mine brought my wife and I some Tie Guan Yin (Bama Tea) back from China. Another buddy of mine started me on puer tea shortly after, and I've been hooked on tea ever since.

After starting off with the TGY I decided to pick up another couple of oolongs. Right now I'm drinking 2015 Winter harvest Alishan Mountain High GABA tea from Taiwan oolongs. It's great, their description really hits the nail on the head! Very yam-y. They also threw in some free 2014 Winter Cui Luan Mountain Jade Oolong as well, which I haven't had a chance to open up yet, but am really looking forward to it.

+ Post Reply