Mar 16th, '11, 22:37

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by entropyembrace » Mar 16th, '11, 22:37

IPT wrote:Thank you Tortoise. I'm really enjoying it. Even though it'll take years to season properly, there's nothing like a new teapot! My wife thinks I have enough. How is that possible :?:
haha....when I showed my gf my latest teaware purchases she said "I get the idea we are going to need a lot of racks in our apartment, you for teaware and me for movies"

I said yes we will ....and the teaware and movies go together in our world :lol:

Mar 16th, '11, 23:00
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 16th, '11, 23:00

entropyembrace wrote:I said yes we will ....and the teaware and movies go together in our world :lol:
Ours too, but they're in separate rooms. :lol:

I'm a movie nut too, especially the old ones!

Mar 17th, '11, 02:35

by entropyembrace » Mar 17th, '11, 02:35

IPT wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:I said yes we will ....and the teaware and movies go together in our world :lol:
Ours too, but they're in separate rooms. :lol:

I'm a movie nut too, especially the old ones!
My gf and I usually drink tea while we´re watching movies together at home :mrgreen:

Mar 22nd, '11, 20:08

by AdamMY » Mar 22nd, '11, 20:08

Size: 120 ml

This little beauty came through Teaswap from Abracadaver, and he acquired it at Chakihana Tea Culture. The vendor claimed it is from the mid 80's but most people are somewhat skeptical about that. I will update this later if I find a really good pairing for the pot, I am currently testing it out with Yancha.

Size: 50 ml

A few of these may show up among the forum, due to a bunch of us having a discussion on the IM about a super deal on this yixing, through an Ebay vendor. For 10 dollars it is amazing in terms of size and how it seems to handle itself. Although it did need a rather thorough cleaning as I keep getting traces of purple sediment when I rubbed my finger along the inside. But I will say it just brewed up a rather tasty batch of Mandarins Tea Room Highfire TGY (not ideal to start a pot out on but it is the only Highfire TGY I have on hand right now).

I do not know if its because I love the MTR Highfire TGY so much but it was possibly the best first infusion of a tea I ever got out of a basically unseasoned Yixing.

Mar 22nd, '11, 23:00

by tingjunkie » Mar 22nd, '11, 23:00

AdamMY wrote:A few of these may show up among the forum, due to a bunch of us having a discussion on the IM about a super deal on this yixing, through an Ebay vendor.
$10 pot club! Woot! :lol:

Mar 26th, '11, 00:40

by Abracadaver! » Mar 26th, '11, 00:40

I'm glad to see you like the pot, Adam! It looks great on your table... :D

Mar 26th, '11, 17:43

by Nenugal » Mar 26th, '11, 17:43

A new Yixing (Zi Ni?) Xi Shi ~150 ml pot that I came across in a teashop in Berlin yesterday. It passes lid-fit, sound and water-flow tests quite nicely I guess, but it is hard for me to judge the quality beyond that. I originally planned to use it for Da Hong Pao, but I'm starting to wonder if it would work even better for lighter oolongs...

It has a stamp on the bottom, but not inside the lid or under the handle. The inside construction is a bit strange, in that it has a pit or cavity where the thick end of the handle meets the pot (see picture). Is this common? Is it a bad sign?

It is not really visible on the pictures, but I can feel with my fingers that it has a bit of a seam on the front under the spout.

I also notice that the hole in the spout is not completely symmetrical.

Any comments on the looks, quality or recommended use are welcome, as this is a part of my yixing learning process.
Attachments
IMG_6601.jpg
IMG_6601.jpg (11.95 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
IMG_6599.jpg
IMG_6599.jpg (11.61 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
IMG_6593.jpg
IMG_6593.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Mar 26th, '11, 18:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by jaderabbit » Mar 26th, '11, 18:00

Nenugal wrote:A new Yixing (Zi Ni?) Xi Shi ~150 ml pot that I came across in a teashop in Berlin yesterday. It passes lid-fit, sound and water-flow tests quite nicely I guess, but it is hard for me to judge the quality beyond that. I originally planned to use it for Da Hong Pao, but I'm starting to wonder if it would work even better for lighter oolongs...

It has a stamp on the bottom, but not inside the lid or under the handle. The inside construction is a bit strange, in that it has a pit or cavity where the thick end of the handle meets the pot (see picture). Is this common? Is it a bad sign?

It is not really visible on the pictures, but I can feel with my fingers that it has a bit of a seam on the front under the spout.

I also notice that the hole in the spout is not completely symmetrical.

Any comments on the looks, quality or recommended use are welcome, as this is a part of my yixing learning process.
It looks like Xi Shi style, non? How does she brew?

Mar 26th, '11, 18:16

by Nenugal » Mar 26th, '11, 18:16

Jaderabb... wrote:
Nenugal wrote:A new Yixing (Zi Ni?) Xi Shi ~150 ml pot that I came across in a teashop in Berlin yesterday. It passes lid-fit, sound and water-flow tests quite nicely I guess, but it is hard for me to judge the quality beyond that. I originally planned to use it for Da Hong Pao, but I'm starting to wonder if it would work even better for lighter oolongs...
It looks like Xi Shi style, non? How does she brew?
Yes from comparing with pictures I think it is Xi Shi style.
I've only really tried brewing in it once, after first doing as the shop owner recommended, and left it overnight brewing some low quality DHP that she gave me, to "initialise" it.
The result of the first real brew after that was very nice for at least 5-6 infusions, but I have not yet had a chance to try the same DHP (supposedly a high quality one) in a gaiwan for comparison, so more experiments are needed.

Mar 27th, '11, 12:50
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 27th, '11, 12:50

Here is my newest Zhuni Zisha Teapot. It has flecks of Duanni Clay in it. It's a smaller pot, only 100cc, but I like the big mouth. It's high fired and pours beautifully.
Attachments
DSCF9134.jpg
DSCF9134.jpg (14.4 KiB) Viewed 1127 times

Mar 27th, '11, 13:03
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 27th, '11, 13:03

IPT wrote:Here is my newest Zhuni Zisha Teapot. It has flecks of Duanni Clay in it. It's a smaller pot, only 100cc, but I like the big mouth. It's high fired and pours beautifully.
Lovely Pot IPT :D One of my favorite pot has the 'Pear Skin' looks similar to yours. Very balance and old school :wink:

Mar 27th, '11, 13:15
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 27th, '11, 13:15

Thank you. Yes, it is very old school. That's why I had to pick it up.

Mar 27th, '11, 14:07

by David R. » Mar 27th, '11, 14:07

Very nice IPT !

Mar 27th, '11, 23:09

by tingjunkie » Mar 27th, '11, 23:09

Nice IPT. I've always wondered if sand blended (or duan ni blended) zhuni pots protected aromas and flavors as much as pure zhuni? What are your thoughts on this?

Mar 27th, '11, 23:57
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 27th, '11, 23:57

I do believe they are about the same. This one is high fired, so it protects the flavors very well. I wish I could find two teapots, one blended and one pure, that were the same size and shape and compare the two.

+ Post Reply