by Robert Fornell » Aug 25th, '09, 14:21
Very nice! Is this vintage or newer?
Thanks Victoria.
It's a piece from a few years ago. After doing a show in Yamaguchi and spending some time there, I came back fascinated, and still am, by kohiki. I found an old Korean (punchon) kohiki chawan and set out to reproduce it as best I could. In the west, this way of working/thinking tends to be frowned upon, however in Japan it is quite common as it helps one really understand a given piece, it's form and the various techniques used to create the piece. It also affords one a path to journey along in which one makes discoveries along the way while related to the original task, can be separate and quite exciting in their own right. Anyways, the above piece was done using some clay which I dug from an excavation site not far from here.
Below please find a chawan which tends to reference the original Korean punchon piece a little more closely.
Best wishes,
R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Robert Fornell on Aug 25th, '09, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.