Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

User avatar
Mar 27th 17 3:07 pm
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th 12 6:49 pm
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Mar 27th 17 3:07 pm

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Because osmanthus can be very bitter, I first steep tea, then add flowers to liquor for a +-45 seconds. Love the added aroma, sweetness and bright yellow color.
This is a really good tip for avoiding bitterness, I'll try next time. Thanks for sharing! :D
Here is a picture in action :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11862&p=288900&hili ... us#p288900

User avatar
Mar 27th 17 3:49 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Mar 27th 17 3:49 pm

victoria3 wrote:
William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Because osmanthus can be very bitter, I first steep tea, then add flowers to liquor for a +-45 seconds. Love the added aroma, sweetness and bright yellow color.
This is a really good tip for avoiding bitterness, I'll try next time. Thanks for sharing! :D
Here is a picture in action :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11862&p=288900&hili ... us#p288900
Thank you for the link, Victoria3. It looks so delicious! :D

Osmanthus flowers and Taiwanese oolong must be an amazing combination; I need to try for sure with high mountain unroasted and roasted ones .. which tea in particular, do you like the most to pair with osmanthus flowers?

User avatar
Mar 27th 17 5:03 pm
Posts: 80
Joined: Mar 13th 17 8:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by dizzo » Mar 27th 17 5:03 pm

long week of being all stuffed up and unable to taste anything. having some jin xuan milk oolong right now. Everything tastes so vivid when you just get over a cold!

User avatar
Mar 27th 17 9:57 pm
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th 12 6:49 pm
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Mar 27th 17 9:57 pm

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Because osmanthus can be very bitter, I first steep tea, then add flowers to liquor for a +-45 seconds. Love the added aroma, sweetness and bright yellow color.
This is a really good tip for avoiding bitterness, I'll try next time. Thanks for sharing! :D
Here is a picture in action :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11862&p=288900&hili ... us#p288900
Thank you for the link, Victoria3. It looks so delicious! :D

Osmanthus flowers and Taiwanese oolong must be an amazing combination; I need to try for sure with high mountain unroasted and roasted ones .. which tea in particular, do you like the most to pair with osmanthus flowers?
I think I've only tried it with medium grade LuGu oolong, which was somewhat light and delicate in flavor letting the Osmanthus come through.

User avatar
Mar 27th 17 11:04 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Mar 27th 17 11:04 pm

victoria3 wrote: I think I've only tried it with medium grade LuGu oolong, which was somewhat light and delicate in flavor letting the Osmanthus come through.
Thanks again for the tip! I will experiment a bit with many different Taiwanese oolong; I am truly curious to see with what, osmanthus flowers pair the best! :D

User avatar
Mar 28th 17 7:08 am
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by chrl42 » Mar 28th 17 7:08 am

Wang Shun-ming's DHP, a mini tint product called 'xiao-guan-cha'..

High-fired, normal durability..I'd the taste is quite typical..firing is quite high and the product was made like a month ago, hovering any hint of yan-yun aspects...this kinda tea should be stored enough beforing tasting, I think..

User avatar
Mar 28th 17 7:34 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Mar 28th 17 7:34 am

Old/stale dancong is often fragranced with osmanthus. Traditionally this would've been done with flowers, but nowadays it might be essential oil or even chemical fragrance. If you have mediocre dancong, it might be worth trying to scent it with flowers or you could even add some to your gaiwan.

User avatar
Mar 31st 17 2:35 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Mar 31st 17 2:35 pm

Enjoying some deep roasted TGY; this is one of the few teas I can drink after dinner without problems. If the right clay is used (preferably pure Zini clay - porous but well fired, of course), brewing this tea with a small teapot (50 / 70 ml) it's like having the typical Italian espresso :lol:

User avatar
Mar 31st 17 7:50 pm
Posts: 49
Joined: Dec 12th 16 4:35 am

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by cwj » Mar 31st 17 7:50 pm

Just finishing a session of a Brandy Oolong (this one from TeaSource).
Never had a brandy oolong before today...it's interesting. The liquor is a very clear amber-red...looks like a hong cha. Very highly oxidized tea without much roast.
Flavor is...well, it's like fresh baked bread. Ultra smooth, a wee bit of peach, just a hint, in the very quick finish. Very durable. Seems like a nice tea to drink all day long while doing other things.
I bet my mother will like this, I should brew it up on her next visit in my 300ml glass pot to show off the sparkling color.

7g leaf in 100ml gaiwan. Just finished 7th infusion. I think I'll have another session.
I'll need to explore brandy oolongs from other vendors...interesting stuff.

Mar 31st 17 11:25 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 1301
Joined: May 27th 12 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by ethan » Mar 31st 17 11:25 pm

Just used the last few grams of 100-gram pack of Boazhong which I opened about 3 weeks ago. Lately this only has muted green flavor, though when I opened other packets of it in October & November it had lots of "greenness". W/ quick steeping it gives a recognizable taste of fairly light roasting & another comforting flavor which as before I cannot find a reference for, though I have had it again & again. Nice note of mint which is also often part of roasting flavors for me.
Started a thread about different parameters for various teaware for the same tea, but I could have just as well written about changing parameters as a tea matures. This Boazhong has led me to use higher & higher temperature as it matured.
This is not my most complex tea; it is very satisfying. Must be. I went through 100 grams quickly.

User avatar
Apr 3rd 17 9:37 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd 17 9:37 am

Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!

User avatar
Apr 3rd 17 12:19 pm
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th 12 6:49 pm
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Apr 3rd 17 12:19 pm

jayinhk wrote: Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!
Love to see a picture of this ...

User avatar
Apr 3rd 17 12:41 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Apr 3rd 17 12:41 pm

jayinhk wrote: Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!
How do you handle the houhin?
I mean, using boiling water, the houhin should become extremely hot ..

User avatar
Apr 3rd 17 12:46 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd 17 12:46 pm

William wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!
How do you handle the houhin?
I mean, using boiling water, the houhin should become extremely hot ..
Longer infusions and I hold it near the top. It's hot, but bearable

User avatar
Apr 3rd 17 12:51 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd 17 12:51 pm