Anyone Try Black Dragon Pearls?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Apr 11th, '10, 11:11

Re: Anyone Try Black Dragon Pearls?

by kymidwife » Apr 11th, '10, 11:11

Owlie wrote:While I'm wary of reviving old threads in the other (not tea) forums I frequent, one of them is very....pro-search. I don't know what the etiquette on this forum is.

Anyway. I've tried Teavana's BDP, and love it. How does Adagio's compare? The price is certainly more attractive.
I got the ones from Teavana first... and then later got Adagio's offering. I'd used all the ones from Teavana so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. But let me just say, they are exactly the same size... and the taste is strikingly similar... I'd go so far as to say they seemed nearly identical. I do think what I got from Adagio was very likely stored better, and had a richer taste... but I had the ones from Teavana for a while, and they may have lost some of their sparkle over time. If these two Dragon Pearl teas are not from the same source, I'd be very surprised. Adagio's is absolutely every bit as good, and perhaps even better, and for a much better price.

Sarah

Apr 11th, '10, 13:03

by Amaikokonut » Apr 11th, '10, 13:03

I tried these recently (Adagio's version), and to be honest I didn't like them much at first. Something just seemed really off. But I am so accustomed to taking the majority of my black teas with milk and sugar, so I did the same with these. Later on though, I did try it without the milk/sugar and found I really enjoyed it a lot more on its own. I guess this is just one of the exceptions for me!

Apr 11th, '10, 15:30

by Owlie » Apr 11th, '10, 15:30

kymidwife wrote:
I got the ones from Teavana first... and then later got Adagio's offering. I'd used all the ones from Teavana so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. But let me just say, they are exactly the same size... and the taste is strikingly similar... I'd go so far as to say they seemed nearly identical. I do think what I got from Adagio was very likely stored better, and had a richer taste... but I had the ones from Teavana for a while, and they may have lost some of their sparkle over time. If these two Dragon Pearl teas are not from the same source, I'd be very surprised. Adagio's is absolutely every bit as good, and perhaps even better, and for a much better price.

Sarah
Thanks! I think I'll order a sample from Adagio and see. I've still got about half of what got from Teavana, so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

Apr 23rd, '10, 06:05

by artmom » Apr 23rd, '10, 06:05

I'm glad I thought of searching for a thread on this topic! I have a sample from Adagio of the Black Pearl tea and was trying to decide if I should try some from another source. However, after searching and trying to compare, they all pretty much seemed the same and Adagio's price is better, so I'll re-order from Adagio.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I enjoy the ease of using the pearls. I don't have to weigh or measure--I just grab 3 pearls for 6-7 ounces of water and steep for about 3 minutes. Make sure your water is boiling. :)

The flavor is very pleasant. I know black tea best, as a newbie to other loose teas.

+ Post Reply