2010 Official Shincha Review Topic!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 5th, '10, 23:59

Re: 2010 Official Shincha Review Topic!

by iannon » Jun 5th, '10, 23:59

Tead Off wrote:iannon, how do you order this tea? The website is impossible for me to understand.
Good Question!
as you can see i am still not exactly sure which 2 of the 3 versions of the sayama I got :shock:
but anyway..I translated this page: http://hiruma-en.ddo.jp/chougokujoucha1.html
and this page: http://hiruma-en.ddo.jp/kodawarinosyouh ... %2033.html
in google and made headway from there.
And quite a few emails back and forth. very nice but there is that language barrier there but very prompt in repying too.
It was quite the adventure

Jun 6th, '10, 00:22

by mbishop » Jun 6th, '10, 00:22

I received my Chiran Shincha from O-Cha a while ago, but somehow missed this topic (even though it is stickied :P)

Keeping in mind that I've not had regular Chiran sencha before, I found it to be quite nice. Compared to my YM (Limited Edition) shincha it tastes more...mature, but seeing as how they are both shincha, I guess that just means the Chiran lacks some of the intensity of YM. Also seems to have some stem pieces.

(Second infusion)

Jun 6th, '10, 00:32

by iannon » Jun 6th, '10, 00:32

iannon wrote:
Tead Off wrote:iannon, how do you order this tea? The website is impossible for me to understand.
Good Question!
as you can see i am still not exactly sure which 2 of the 3 versions of the sayama I got :shock:
but anyway..I translated this page: http://hiruma-en.ddo.jp/chougokujoucha1.html
And quite a few emails back and forth. very nice but there is that language barrier there but very prompt in repying too.
By the way..here is the Taisyou Asa after about 3 infusions..ncie big chunks of leaf.

Jun 6th, '10, 00:40

by Tead Off » Jun 6th, '10, 00:40

iannon wrote:
Good Question!
I have emailed twice and received no reply. I have translated his site with little improvement in the ordering process. Maybe some things are better left alone? :roll:

Jun 6th, '10, 00:58

by iannon » Jun 6th, '10, 00:58

Tead Off wrote:
iannon wrote:
Good Question!
I have emailed twice and received no reply. I have translated his site with little improvement in the ordering process. Maybe some things are better left alone? :roll:
perhaps? Mostly I ordered to get some of that hand rubbed temomi. I figured i would try ordering some of his tea at the same time to just check it out. so after translating that tea page i know the "shallow wilt" was Asamushi. for the temomi i pretty much just picked a couple of the higher ranked ones that werent super crazy priced. I copied and pasted both my translated and the japanese versions into an email and said.."id like to order this. Anything else you recommend".. and 22 emails later I have some tea.
I have not tried the Temomi yet..waiting for the right time. The 3 Asa's ive had are good..are they my favorite? probably not..do they beat out O-cha's Warashina or Maiko's Kinari in Flavor? not quite for me..but they do have longevity in the steeps.
Heres whats up next from them..temomi:

Jun 6th, '10, 10:24

by Tead Off » Jun 6th, '10, 10:24

I would have hoped for a better review considering the very high prices of these teas.

Jun 6th, '10, 12:44

by iannon » Jun 6th, '10, 12:44

Tead Off wrote:I would have hoped for a better review considering the very high prices of these teas.
don't get me wrong they are good..and I havent tried the actual Temomi yet. BUT you are right..to me they are just good so far. I have only had a session with each of the 3 asamushi's so I am still experimenting with parameters. Cost for these was on par with O-cha's warashina or Zencha's Takumi. Now the Temomi i got was a bit more moolah about 6 bucks for each 3 grams..so we will see how it goes.

Jun 6th, '10, 22:04

by the_skua » Jun 6th, '10, 22:04

[Full Disclosure: this tea was provided as a free sample by the vendor. While I normally purchase my own tea and have no intention of turning this blog into a free-sample-fueled positive review machine, I did manage to acquire this tea after badgering the vendor for reviewing their own tea highly on Steepster. In this case, I think my intentions are sound.]

I must admit, this is my first shin-cha. Gyokuro and sen-cha I have sampled before, but never the first flush of the season. And how typical of me that my first taste of an inherently seasonal tea comes from a year with such remarkable variation in quality.

This tea did require that I hone my Japanese tea brewing skills. I brewed twice this morning.

At first, I used perhaps too much leaf (~5 g in 3oz of water), while following the vendor’s instructions for temperature (195F) and steeping time (45s). The resulting brew was thick, but bitter. The complexity and texture were there, but the bitterness was out of balance. The second steep from the first session, however, yielded a very silky, sweet liquid that was just my style.

For the second session, I pulled back on the leaf to about 3g, cooled down the water and knocked 10s off the initial steep. This produced a much lighter brew, but had almost no perceptible bitterness.

In terms of flavor, this tea was clean and delicious, if a bit one-dimensional. It had friendly vegetal greenness, a faint bit of brine, and some distant tangerine leaves. The viscosity of the brew was enjoyable, with a long, lingering thick sweetness, dappled with near-savory umami. I did think, though, that the proportion of dust was rather high and may have contributed to my initial bitter brew.

What this tea did remarkably well was load me up with a massive theanine glow. It was nearly immediate, strong, and beautiful. A sensation of heaviness came over me, and I just sat on the patio, smiled, and watched the Sunday morning open with high clouds, a gentle breeze through the garden, and the cheerful song of goldfinches dancing across the yard.

Images and Full Post at tea.theskua.com
Last edited by the_skua on Jun 20th, '10, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.

Jun 7th, '10, 00:09

by debunix » Jun 7th, '10, 00:09

Yuuki-Cha's Tenryu Misakubo organic shincha, 2010:

The dry leaves in their bag smell vegetal and sweet, and transform from very deep dark green when dry

to bright and lighter green of the fresh young leaf when wet afterwards.
Pretty.

Infusing 4.5 gram of tea in my 5 oz kyusu (about 150 mL water) with water at 160 degrees, after 30" the first is light and sweet and vegetal; the second (15") is sweet, a bit heavier with some sweet vegetal flavor and a bit of vanilla, a touch of umami but not much (a 30" second infusion was too heavy bodied when I tried that yesterday), and the third infusion (again 30") is more like the second, but the astringency starts to increase a little, but not enough to interfere with my enjoyment of the sweet vegetal flavors.

Delicious.

I think that shorter 2nd infusion allows the elements that have already started to leak from the wet leaves to be recovered without too much more coming out of the leaves (which would result in in an infusion strongly biased towards the umami, too much so for my taste), and then the 3rd infusion, there is not so much rushing out into the water, so an infusion the length of the first works fine.

Jun 7th, '10, 01:28

by iannon » Jun 7th, '10, 01:28

Nice pix and review Debunix! This is one of the last two I am waiting for..should be here real soon!.
Wow..those seem like short steep times for an Asa no? looks like I will be experimenting with this one. Maiko Kinari I go a min of 60 sec first steep. Warashina about 60 to 90 seconds as well. second steeps for both 30 seconds to 40 seconds. hmm..
the 3 I got in from Hiruma I have been doing about a 60 sec + first steep too. well...most Asa's I go in that time range anyway.

Jun 7th, '10, 02:35

by debunix » Jun 7th, '10, 02:35

iannon wrote:Wow..those seem like short steep times for an Asa no?
The steep times are based on my own peculiar preferences for lighter bodied lower umami infusions--when the umami gets too strong, I find it overwhelms the sugary sweet vegetal flavors that I crave. So I am often brewing either more dilute or shorter than most.

Jun 7th, '10, 09:33

by Scarlet Glow » Jun 7th, '10, 09:33

Wow, a lot of O-Cha orders on here. I ordered from them last year and was not that impressed. I remember their Shincha having a sharp taste that I didn't like.

So, I was anxious to order from Den's Tea this year. I bought the Hashiri Shincha and was very pleased with it. It had an excellent fresh, spring-like taste. I wish I would have ordered a tin of each version, though... but I think I currently have too much green tea in my stash. :roll:

Jun 7th, '10, 15:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 7th, '10, 15:41

Scarlet Glow wrote:Wow, a lot of O-Cha orders on here. I ordered from them last year and was not that impressed. I remember their Shincha having a sharp taste that I didn't like.
Just curious which you had? :mrgreen:

Jun 7th, '10, 18:49

Hiruma-en Temomicha

by iannon » Jun 7th, '10, 18:49

Figured I would post this here for lack of a better place :?
My First taste of Temomi ever!
Looks nice right off the bat
Needles in the pot! Here we go!
Just a pic after the first infusion..yes thats tea in the cup there in the corner
Parameters:
3g temomi
1.5oz water (used slightly more on the later infusions..like 2oz heh!
130F
150 seconds
3 infusions later..Just before pouring
I am not sure how to even describe this tea.
The undertones of a "regular" Sencha..maybe more Gyokuro-ish really are there..but wow..for me it had a crazy intense mouthfeel right away.
very clear infusions..NO particles at all to speak of.

Jun 7th, '10, 19:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 7th, '10, 19:25

Great shots of the Temomi! Thanks Ian.

Clearly not an everyday tea, but surely something to be experienced by the senchaphile.

It is amazing how you end up with a pot full of perfect leave, isn't it?

+ Post Reply