May 2nd, '14, 10:49

Re: Late Qing?

by MarshalN » May 2nd, '14, 10:49

chrl42 wrote:clear as this one? geez don't sound like u've never used old pot before lol
Clarity is not the only way to judge a seal. How the words are formed is just as important. I wasn't going to waste time posting here anymore, but for kyarazen, a point of comparison

May 2nd, '14, 10:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » May 2nd, '14, 10:52

Hi Chrls, while you're at it, would you mind posting a better picture of the CR shuiping as well? It's from the same guy who sent you the pot above right?

May 2nd, '14, 21:57

by chrl42 » May 2nd, '14, 21:57

MarshalN wrote:
chrl42 wrote:clear as this one? geez don't sound like u've never used old pot before lol
Clarity is not the only way to judge a seal. How the words are formed is just as important. I wasn't going to waste time posting here anymore, but for kyarazen, a point of comparison

2 are different pot. (kyarazen wanted 'better carving' so..)

latter is late-Daoguang's. The word 水平 has been carved or stamped since 183~40's in case you did't know, and each period's style of the letter is different. Yours could be late-Qing/ROC Japan 回流壶. (if not iggy me)

Below are authority' pots of similar period

I am really tired, I should quit this discussion. Yours is genuine, mines are fakes..end of the discussion.
Attachments
3.png
3.png (45.55 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
2.png
2.png (55.15 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
1.png
1.png (91.15 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Last edited by chrl42 on May 2nd, '14, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, '14, 21:59

by chrl42 » May 2nd, '14, 21:59

the_economist wrote:Hi Chrls, while you're at it, would you mind posting a better picture of the CR shuiping as well? It's from the same guy who sent you the pot above right?
Look, I don't wanna start another storm :shock:

maybe a week later.

May 2nd, '14, 22:58

by kyarazen » May 2nd, '14, 22:58

chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:no comments on the authenticity issue, but i would love to give the seal carver a good whack on the head for such poor handwriting, maybe under long enough manchurian influence they forgot to write chinese characters properly already?

the words shui-ping, the shui is imbalanced and fused, the word ping similarly is compressed and the bottom stroke is of the wrong horizontal length leading it to resemble the character zhong.

the seal on the base, the seal carver did not watch his verticals and horizontals, some are slanted.
clear as this one? geez don't sound like u've never used old pot before lol
actually i wrote wrongly, i should have said "not willing to comment" rather than "no comments" on the authenticity.

we would rather leave the honor of using such pots to the connoisseurs in mainland. the local/regional teapot community is rather well interlinked, even right now its still possible to go to shops and see these types of pots in person, both in this region and in taiwan. not that people in this region cannot afford it though, since everyone seem to be guzzling teas that are worth thousands a cake at the moment, pots of these type are usually around the same price or less than a cake of pu-erh these days.

its just a matter of preference, many times we rather 回流 this type of items to where people seem to appreciate them better. :wink:

May 2nd, '14, 23:06

by kyarazen » May 2nd, '14, 23:06

MarshalN wrote: Clarity is not the only way to judge a seal. How the words are formed is just as important. I wasn't going to waste time posting here anymore, but for kyarazen, a point of comparison
seal carving is extremely important for us chinese.. the way characters are written, the speed and depth, intensity of the strokes. clarity is just a matter of how worn out the seal is and how hard the seal was imprinted/tapped. under manchurian influence... i wonder what really happened in late qing

May 2nd, '14, 23:42

by tequiero » May 2nd, '14, 23:42

Interesting discussion...

I don't know nothing about antique teapots, so I'm just absorbing info. here. Absolutely nice teapots anyway :)

On the other hand, I do know that in tea communities, it's common that when people are not sure, they would rather point to an authentic teapot (or tea bowl, tea...) and claim it fake, than pointing to a fake teapot and claim it authentic. It's almost like you don't lose face in the first manner, but lose face big time in the second manner, although, essentially, the two manners are equally wrong. Needless to say, it's also common that people say things with 100% confidence without realizing that they aren't that sure.

Ego and regionalism are also common in human societies, tea communities being no exception.

So, it's unnecessary to feel irritated, if I may say this... It's human weakness. We all have it, more or less. Drinking tea make us get better, and it takes time. :wink:

May 3rd, '14, 00:30

by chrl42 » May 3rd, '14, 00:30

kyarazen wrote:
MarshalN wrote: Clarity is not the only way to judge a seal. How the words are formed is just as important. I wasn't going to waste time posting here anymore, but for kyarazen, a point of comparison
seal carving is extremely important for us chinese.. the way characters are written, the speed and depth, intensity of the strokes. clarity is just a matter of how worn out the seal is and how hard the seal was imprinted/tapped. under manchurian influence... i wonder what really happened in late qing

Yeah that pot has a better carving, I agree.

And what do you think of the authenticity? :)

May 3rd, '14, 05:03

by betta » May 3rd, '14, 05:03

kyarazen wrote:

Kyarazen, just in case the character is carved like below and not pushed by stamp, what kind of information can we derive from this?

May 3rd, '14, 06:07

by chrl42 » May 3rd, '14, 06:07

I randomly pick 水平 lid-seals online, all of em are late-Qing/ROC and genuine, please enjoy.
Attachments
3.png
3.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
2.png
2.png (71.41 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
1.png
1.png (69.92 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

May 3rd, '14, 06:09

by chrl42 » May 3rd, '14, 06:09

continue
Attachments
6.png
6.png (50.93 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
5.png
5.png (41.76 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
4.png
4.png (60.83 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

May 3rd, '14, 06:11

by chrl42 » May 3rd, '14, 06:11

and..what do they demonstrate? A manchurian?? :roll:

(sorry I don't have to do this...but overtime work really stresses me out :oops: )
Attachments
9.png
9.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
8.png
8.png (44.68 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
7.png
7.png (88.33 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

May 3rd, '14, 10:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » May 3rd, '14, 10:38

These latest few lid carvings are nice. Good horizontals and verticals :)

May 4th, '14, 04:23

by kyarazen » May 4th, '14, 04:23

betta wrote:
Kyarazen, just in case the character is carved like below and not pushed by stamp, what kind of information can we derive from this?
it would be better to let the pot expert guide you on this.

but anyway just some tidbits for thought, from the carving you can gauge/guess what the carving tool was, which would give you some kind of indication on the era (until forgery came about), above which you will need to analyse even deeper into the strokes and calligraphic/carving strength

May 4th, '14, 15:18

by betta » May 4th, '14, 15:18

kyarazen wrote: but anyway just some tidbits for thought, from the carving you can gauge/guess what the carving tool was, which would give you some kind of indication on the era (until forgery came about), above which you will need to analyse even deeper into the strokes and calligraphic/carving strength
Thank you for the info.

+ Post Reply