Assam woes

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 27th, '08, 00:37

by sykowch » Jan 27th, '08, 00:37

I just tried SpecialTeas Meleng (no. 266). At first, I didn't think I liked it...too astringent. Then I added some sugar and a splash of milk and it transformed into an entirely different concoction. It seemed to taste better and better as it cooled...is that weird? I don't know. I haven't been drinking tea very long. This is quite possibly the best tea I've ever tasted.

Jan 27th, '08, 01:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 27th, '08, 01:02

I always feel that milk is the cure for poor Assam. Of course, with milk and sugar is the traditional way to drink it and milk does seem to cure all Assam ills, but it just seems too much like capitulation. Maybe I've exceed the 100% mark on the tea snobbery scale! That you enjoy your cup, sykowch, that's what really counts. But sugar ... eeww, I just can't drag myself to put sugar in tea or coffee! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!!

Jan 29th, '08, 10:37

by joelbct » Jan 29th, '08, 10:37

I just tried the Meleng Assam too, I love it! Very tippy, bold, malty, complex... Much better than most of the middle-end Assams I have come across the past 2 years.

Maybe you brewed it too long? Try it for 3 or 3.5 minutes....

Perhaps it comes down to, if you like black tea, particularly bold, malty Yunnans and Assams from Camilla Sinensis var. Assamica plants, you will enjoy this type of tippy Assam far more than an average, everyday example....

+ Post Reply