Briefly, for disclosure, I had been a mildly successful trader at GS, but was laid off last week, and I was looking at my 3 year supply of sheng, and decided to post.
I would like to become a contributing member of the community as I truly believe there is a lot to be gained (not only can we scour more cakes together, but we can trade samples, or even meet for tea). I may have come off as condescending, but if anything I was also questioning my own actions.
Someone extrapolated my comments to imply that I thought Menghai was a start-up, which is not the case. I will offer that Menghai has suffered in quality lately especially post 2005, and even a novice like me a can tell the difference. Also the Hawaiian factory is in fact one that I like a lot. I guess my main point was just to be careful about buying new cakes and that skepticism is a virtue. Just think about the risk/reward, you don't think the Chinese have found a way to turn out tea shrubs with big leaves and veins, so they can package it as ancient tree from Yiwu picked at 1600 m? I mean farmers poisoned their own milk so that they could make more money! (Plus this might be its own thread but I have a rather smoky tasting 80 dollar cake, and I swear to god when I was breaking it apart I found a cigarette but in it!)
BTW, this is long-winded and rambling so I'm going to save some ammo for a another post
Thanks for all the welcomes!