Jul 27th, '08, 08:32

by evilive » Jul 27th, '08, 08:32

heavydoom wrote:Image
I love that spout! It's so unique! How's it pour though? It looks like there might be some drippage...

Jul 27th, '08, 10:15

by heavydoom » Jul 27th, '08, 10:15

evilive wrote:
heavydoom wrote:Image
I love that spout! It's so unique! How's it pour though? It looks like there might be some drippage...
no drippage, the water is not a perfect stream, a medium fast pour but besides that, it's fine. the lid is super tight, the pot is so round. i haven't seen a filter like that before, a flattened ball filter. the distance between the handle and the ball on the lid is perfect for a good hold for pouring out tea. everything feels right.

pm me if one is interested where i got the pots from. they may or may not have them though.

Jul 27th, '08, 19:05

My favorite teapot!

by JRS22 » Jul 27th, '08, 19:05

I made this teapot in pottery class and it actually works - only my 3rd try at a functional teapot!. #1 and #2 are pretty but the lids don't fit properly.

I use it for kukicha and very little tea escapes through the holes. The carved pattern makes the teapot less slippery. I made the piece by hand rather than on a wheel, but my teacher says that's the way that many traditional korean and japanese potters work.

Janice

Jul 27th, '08, 19:34

Re: My favorite teapot!

by britt » Jul 27th, '08, 19:34

JRS22 wrote:I made this teapot in pottery class and it actually works - only my 3rd try at a functional teapot!. #1 and #2 are pretty but the lids don't fit properly.

I use it for kukicha and very little tea escapes through the holes. The carved pattern makes the teapot less slippery. I made the piece by hand rather than on a wheel, but my teacher says that's the way that many traditional korean and japanese potters work.

Janice
You really made that in class? That's awesome! Very nice outside pattern and it looks like you were even able to get some of those shigaraki-iga type green pools of glaze on the inside of the pot.

If you give yourself a Japanese name you can sell something like this on japanesepottery.com for big bucks! I actually like the looks of yours better than many of theirs. Very nice job!

AAA+++

Jul 27th, '08, 19:51
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: My favorite teapot!

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '08, 19:51

JRS22 wrote:I made this teapot in pottery class and it actually works - only my 3rd try at a functional teapot!. #1 and #2 are pretty but the lids don't fit properly.

I love this! It's very beautiful, lovely organic look. Congrats! I have GOT to take a pottery class. I've wanted to do it for years.

Jul 27th, '08, 19:57

by britt » Jul 27th, '08, 19:57

Here's a few ideas for teapot # 4.

The first three are by Noutomi Choun:

The next is by Noutomi Susumu:

The last, which is more similar in structure to yours, is by Takeshita Keizo:

Jul 27th, '08, 20:42

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '08, 20:42

I think I've mentioned how captivating the first few seconds after the pour these Deishi hagi cups are. You can see a fleeting moment of sweating on the cup. This is not condensation, it's actually coming through the pores on the cup. Fascinating.

Jul 27th, '08, 20:44

by Salsero » Jul 27th, '08, 20:44

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: it's actually coming through the pores on the cup. Fascinating.
Very cool. I got a little rim condensation on a glass in a photo yesterday and thought of your interest in droplets.

Jul 27th, '08, 20:49

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 27th, '08, 20:49

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I think I've mentioned how captivating the first few seconds after the pour these Deishi hagi cups are. You can see a fleeting moment of sweating on the cup. This is not condensation, it's actually coming through the pores on the cup. Fascinating.
Wow. That may just force me to buy one of those puppies...
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 27th, '08, 20:55

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '08, 20:55

Salsero wrote:Very cool. I got a little rim condensation on a glass in a photo yesterday and thought of your interest in droplets.
Did you post it yet? I know my memory is really short, but it's not that short! :shock: :?

Scruff, I was telling Victoria I bought the first hagi teacup very much on an impulse after seeing one of Salsero's photos. I didn't really care for it in the photos, but once I actually got my hands on one... wow!

Jul 27th, '08, 21:16

by Salsero » Jul 27th, '08, 21:16

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: I didn't really care for it in the photos, but once I actually got my hands on one... wow!
Thanks! Just for that I'm not telling if I posted or not.

Jul 27th, '08, 21:17

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '08, 21:17

Salsero wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: I didn't really care for it in the photos, but once I actually got my hands on one... wow!
Thanks! Just for that I'm not telling if I posted or not.
LMAO!!! I meant UNTIL I saw your picture! Yours was the one that caused the IMPULSE BUY, remember? Sheesh. :lol:

Jul 27th, '08, 21:27

by Victoria » Jul 27th, '08, 21:27

scruffmcgruff wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I think I've mentioned how captivating the first few seconds after the pour these Deishi hagi cups are. You can see a fleeting moment of sweating on the cup. This is not condensation, it's actually coming through the pores on the cup. Fascinating.
Wow. That may just force me to buy one of those puppies...
Ummm yeah, I got the fever too.

Beautiful geek!

Jul 27th, '08, 21:28

by chamekke » Jul 27th, '08, 21:28

If you ever decide you don't want your Hagi ware to weep (it's not so much fun when it happens through the foot!), a good rice-gruel soak usually does the trick.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 27th, '08, 21:40

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '08, 21:40

I don't think that will be necessary with these. After a moment, the drops are gone. While the foot still will create condensation beneath, mine don't really leak or weep. I just have to remember not to put them on unvarnished bamboo or wood chataku.