Jan 2nd, '09, 20:43

by chamekke » Jan 2nd, '09, 20:43

brandon wrote:Is there a reason the pot Chamekke mentions is only $250?
I think it's because it's a fairly workmanlike style ... not one of the super-decorated ones ... and the lid is made of simple cast-iron rather than being one of those gorgeous bronze ones with a fancy finial.

By the way, if I recall correctly, this style of tetsubin is called shinnari which means roughly "shouldered" - in that it has a distinct "shoulder" (wider part) that flares underneath the neck. You can see an example of a kama (kettle) in the same style here:

Tea kettle with linked circles design, Shinnari type, Ashiya ironware

P.S. I got mine for Cdn $38 at a local consignment shop, FWIW. Probably a bargain, especially as it was in such great shape :)

Jan 2nd, '09, 21:53

by chamekke » Jan 2nd, '09, 21:53

There are lots of shapes. Here's a dramatically different one of mine: it's called Daruma (because it's shaped like the rotund figure of Daruma, or Bodhidharma as he's depicted in Japan), and of course the design is arare or hailstone:

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jan 2nd, '09, 22:40

by chamekke » Jan 2nd, '09, 22:40

For an example of a highly ornamented tetsubin, take a look at this recent addition to the Trocadero site:

Fine High Relief Iron Tetsubin with Dragons, Kinryudo

...which can be yours for approximately $2K plus shipping :)

P.S. I'd be quite happy with [url=hhttp://www.trocadero.com/bnc19/items/815567/item815567.html]this playful little number[/url] actually.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:13

by edkrueger » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:13

DBL Post.
Last edited by edkrueger on Jan 3rd, '09, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 3rd, '09, 00:14

by edkrueger » Jan 3rd, '09, 00:14

Mine doesn't have a hole, but is from the 50s+. Older kettles tended to have a bell instead of a pine cone also, a lid of copper was more common.

Jan 3rd, '09, 10:30

by chingwa » Jan 3rd, '09, 10:30

Mine is brand new and doesn't have a hole in the lid. I always just assumed that holed lids were really a tea pot conceit... and that tetsubin kettles would never have one. In fact I can't say that I've ever seen a kettle with one. The copper lids are traditional only as it reflects the style of the castingworks that made it, though ostensibly the copper lidded kettles with the "twist" finial handle are more "desirable".

I've had quite a bit of time now over the Christmas and NEw Years holidays to break in the new tetsubin. the more I use it, the more I like it. I'll get some pictures and review up soon.

Jan 3rd, '09, 12:22

by chamekke » Jan 3rd, '09, 12:22

Actually, you are quite right - IIRC, tetsubin manufacturers began making tetsubin as teapots in the 1950's, and it was at that time that they added the hole in the lid (for ease of pouring), along with the fitted filter (which was generally made of aluminum in the early years). But tetsubin as kettles had no need for the hole in the lid.

Thanks for the correction {blush}.

edkrueger, when did the pine-cone knob first make its appearance?

Jan 3rd, '09, 13:16

by edkrueger » Jan 3rd, '09, 13:16

chamekke wrote:Actually, you are quite right - IIRC, tetsubin manufacturers began making tetsubin as teapots in the 1950's, and it was at that time that they added the hole in the lid (for ease of pouring), along with the fitted filter (which was generally made of aluminum in the early years). But tetsubin as kettles had no need for the hole in the lid.

Thanks for the correction {blush}.

edkrueger, when did the pine-cone knob first make its appearance?
I'm not really an expert. I know it became popular after WWII, but it might be much older.

Jan 3rd, '09, 18:15

by shogun89 » Jan 3rd, '09, 18:15

Well first off let me how thank you for everybody's comments. Never would have found anything about it if it wasn't for TeaChat here.
The sticker on the bottom of the pot reads Vcagco.

Jan 3rd, '09, 18:39

by chamekke » Jan 3rd, '09, 18:39

TomVerlain wrote:looking on the interwibble shows : "...Pieces were marked "Ucagco" by the United China and Glass Co., an American importer..."

seems like the 1940-50's is when they were at their peak (post war japan)
Heh. Hardly "Meiji period", is it? Someone should let that Trocadero shop know :wink:

- Billy Connolly

Jan 3rd, '09, 21:22

by shogun89 » Jan 3rd, '09, 21:22

Yes, Ucagco does make more sense than Vcagco. Thanks for the info given.

+ Post Reply