2011 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 7th, '11, 23:28
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2011 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chip » May 7th, '11, 23:28

Yarrrr, welcome matey to TeaChat!

Yeah, 40-50 bucks for 3 ounces of YM is definitely pricy. I would not mind trying it nevertheless.

May 8th, '11, 02:39

by shinobicha » May 8th, '11, 02:39

Well... I did order Kirameki from O-cha, so that ends up being around 39 cents/gram... The Ito-ens are 59 cents and 47 cents/gram. It's just hard for me to believe that they would be that much better than Tsuen's (and O-cha's) highest quality shincha to justify the cost difference. Again, not that I've had experience with either (yet). I'm not saying it isn't worth it, just I hope those who go for that shincha aren't disappointed. :)

Actually, it seems like the kind of tea that should be included in the shincha OTTI! That way a person can try it without shelling out so much...

May 8th, '11, 05:54

by piratesdrinktea » May 8th, '11, 05:54

Agreed, I'm pretty sure it was 30 for 3 ounces last I had it a year or two back (it was a Kagoshima shincha but might have been a different variety) so it's definitely gone up.

May 8th, '11, 15:22

by Chip » May 8th, '11, 15:22

shinobicha wrote:Actually, it seems like the kind of tea that should be included in the shincha OTTI! That way a person can try it without shelling out so much...
This was my first thoughts as well, and was biting my tongue. :lol:

May 8th, '11, 19:46

by naivemonarch » May 8th, '11, 19:46

I am still waiting for my Maiko Kinari via SAL shipping. I hope this week Kinari could finally come to me :)

May 9th, '11, 21:11

by Drax » May 9th, '11, 21:11

Shincha has arrived from o-cha!! Also some gyokuro and lots of matcha.

I will be carting all of my new-found treasures to work tomorrow, and the fun shall begin...! :lol:

May 10th, '11, 10:34

by Stentor » May 10th, '11, 10:34

Looks like Kirameki is being shipped as of today!

May 10th, '11, 11:39

by iannon » May 10th, '11, 11:39

Stentor wrote:Looks like Kirameki is being shipped as of today!
yup! W00t

May 12th, '11, 13:31

by zemlemer » May 12th, '11, 13:31

Just received my orders: Kagoshima Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha KINARI from Maiko.

Maiko add to my order some matcha capsules.

And I've already tried Yutaka Midori. O-cha writes that I need to serve 0.5g tea per 1oz water. I prepared first cup using this proportion. Not bad. Tomorrow I will try to increase quantity of leaf.

May 12th, '11, 17:07

by Chip » May 12th, '11, 17:07

zemlemer wrote:Just received my orders: Kagoshima Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha KINARI from Maiko.

Maiko add to my order some matcha capsules.

And I've already tried Yutaka Midori. O-cha writes that I need to serve 0.5g tea per 1oz water. I prepared first cup using this proportion. Not bad. Tomorrow I will try to increase quantity of leaf.
Yeah, those directions are more intended for "Joe Consumer," not crack-heads like us. You should be able to go .75- 1.0 grams per ouce water ... sometimes even more leaf. But I have not tried the 2011 YM shincha.

May 12th, '11, 18:47

by bambooforest » May 12th, '11, 18:47

Chip wrote:
zemlemer wrote:Just received my orders: Kagoshima Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha KINARI from Maiko.
Yeah, those directions are more intended for "Joe Consumer," not crack-heads like us. You should be able to go .75- 1.0 grams per ouce water ... sometimes even more leaf. But I have not tried the 2011 YM shincha.
With few exceptions I have found that more leaf and a shorter steep time with sencha doesn't make for a superior cup.

With oolong, on the other hand, I prefer more leaf and a shorter steep time.

But with sencha, I don't find the flavor enhanced using this method...

I find that if you use more leaf and shorten the steep time, the first steep almost seems as if something's missing. To me, there are certain flavors being extracted after the minute mark which is why I prefer never to steep below 1.5 minutes and most usually around 1.40 to 2 minutes.

Moreover, in my opinion, if the second steep tastes superior to the first than the first steep was compromised as a result of the method one's using to brew the tea.

Sure, one benefit of much more leaf and shorter steep time is that subsequent steeps taste better and you can steep more. But to me, that's not worth it.

I generally use 3 grams per 5 ounces, or a little more.

Just sharing my perspective on this issue because many seem to be under the impression that with sencha... that to get the most delicious cup, you must use more leaf and a shorter steep time.

Well, maybe for other people's palettes this indeed makes a superior cup. I simply have not found this for myself. At least for most senchas. And that's why I thought it worth sharing.

May 12th, '11, 19:47

by AdamMY » May 12th, '11, 19:47

bambooforest wrote:
Chip wrote:
With few exceptions I have found that more leaf and a shorter steep time with sencha doesn't make for a superior cup.

With oolong, on the other hand, I prefer more leaf and a shorter steep time.

But with sencha, I don't find the flavor enhanced using this method...

I find that if you use more leaf and shorten the steep time, the first steep almost seems as if something's missing. To me, there are certain flavors being extracted after the minute mark which is why I prefer never to steep below 1.5 minutes and most usually around 1.40 to 2 minutes.

Moreover, in my opinion, if the second steep tastes superior to the first than the first steep was compromised as a result of the method one's using to brew the tea.

Sure, one benefit of much more leaf and shorter steep time is that subsequent steeps taste better and you can steep more. But to me, that's not worth it.

I generally use 3 grams per 5 ounces, or a little more.

Just sharing my perspective on this issue because many seem to be under the impression that with sencha... that to get the most delicious cup, you must use more leaf and a shorter steep time.

Well, maybe for other people's palettes this indeed makes a superior cup. I simply have not found this for myself. At least for most senchas. And that's why I thought it worth sharing.

Well depends, how much are you lowering the steep time? I think there is definitely much more of a three prong aproach, I prefer my sencha with a somewhat high gram per ounce ratio, not exactly sure how high as I rarely measure. But from when I have I would guess 1 gram per ounce is a good guess. But My first steep is usually between a minute and a minute and half. But I go quite cooler than the oft recommended 180 which most people on the forum believe is quite high in general. I would guess I brew my sencha's between 160 and 170 F.

May 12th, '11, 20:46

by edkrueger » May 12th, '11, 20:46

Re-posted in review thread.
Last edited by edkrueger on May 12th, '11, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, '11, 21:17

by Drax » May 12th, '11, 21:17

In keeping w/ last year's format, I've created a thread dedicated to reviews for 2011 shincha.

Can't wait to continue reading about how everything is enjoying their shincha...! :D

May 12th, '11, 22:42

by Chip » May 12th, '11, 22:42

Drax wrote:In keeping w/ last year's format, I've created a thread dedicated to reviews for 2011 shincha.

Can't wait to continue reading about how everything is enjoying their shincha...! :D
Yezzz, please do post reviews of this year's shincha under Drax's new Shincha Review Topic!

+ Post Reply