cory Lum (bonjiri) chadogu

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Jan 26th, '11, 09:24

Re: cory Lum (bonjiri) chadogu

by JBaymore » Jan 26th, '11, 09:24

Love em' cory!!!!!!

Nice to know that someone else makes a few hashioki.

best,

.................john

Jan 26th, '11, 16:45

by bonjiri » Jan 26th, '11, 16:45

john

cheers ! thanks for your kind words !

thinking of building a tiny whistle into the tail of the hashioki !

humble thanks !
cory

Jan 26th, '11, 19:36

by JBaymore » Jan 26th, '11, 19:36

bonjiri wrote:thinking of building a tiny whistle into the tail of the hashioki !
WOW! Brilliant idea.

best,

...............john

Feb 4th, '11, 07:03

by bonjiri » Feb 4th, '11, 07:03

3362868919_9027fc1d0d.jpg
3362868919_9027fc1d0d.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
thanks john

met up w/ seong il in seoul. great meeting
amazing .learned a lot

hey seong il this is a hydrogen reduced piece. it was located in the flue or chimney exit of kiln. amazing result i think. i imagine trying a whole kiln to look like this... LOL

thanks for the inspirations !

cheers
cory

Feb 4th, '11, 20:17

by bonjiri » Feb 4th, '11, 20:17

had a recent opportunity in korea

stopped thru seoul. amazing city.
the national museum was fantastic. of course i had to see ceramics.
sharing below is some samples of some goryo celadon vessels. amazing craftsmanship and forms. WOW.

the museum itself is cavernous and massive. went to only 1/2 the museum.
also had the wonderful meetup w/ seong il hong, a potter in boseong in southern korea. fantastic learning and sharing ideas.
wow.
5416808691_d44b5a703b.jpg
5416808691_d44b5a703b.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
more to come !

Feb 4th, '11, 20:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 4th, '11, 20:23

Kool, thanks and looking forward to seeing more!

Feb 4th, '11, 22:02

by Seeker » Feb 4th, '11, 22:02

+1, yeah - beautiful!

Feb 5th, '11, 00:57

by Tead Off » Feb 5th, '11, 00:57

that's a great looking piece. Can you tell us what Hydrogen reducing is?

Glad you met up with Seong il. He told me he was going to see you before he left for Seoul.

Must have been cold in Seoul. The museum is indeed not to be missed and easy to go there via subway. I also like Seoul.

Feb 5th, '11, 03:16

by bonjiri » Feb 5th, '11, 03:16

Tead Off wrote:that's a great looking piece. Can you tell us what Hydrogen reducing is?

Glad you met up with Seong il. He told me he was going to see you before he left for Seoul.

Must have been cold in Seoul. The museum is indeed not to be missed and easy to go there via subway. I also like Seoul.
thanks seeker. humble thanks chip

y. meeting seong il was amazing. we had some much to talk about. learned a lot.

the water reduction was used in the han dynasty 200 BCE to 200 CE. water was introduced into the kiln from 2000 F or at the end of the firing, much like reduction in gas kilns (using instead a damper). the method i use is a air compressor hooked up to a sandblaster thingamajig. works well, turn down the air pressure tho. u want more water to go in. i find about 1 gallon works well. this all came about firing soda kilns, water is used as the 'carrier' agent with soda ash mixed into the solution.

the test pieces i placed in an area where i could get maximum 'effect'. since water is hydrogen / oxygen. at nearly 2000 degrees, water breaks up. i decided the best place was the exit flue. hehe. the rest is history.

from wikipedia. below.

Thermal decomposition, also called thermolysis, is defined as a chemical reaction whereby a chemical substance breaks up into at least two chemical substances when heated. At elevated temperatures water molecules split into their atomic components hydrogen and oxygen. For example at 2200 °C about three percent of all H2O molecules are dissociated into various combinations of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, mostly H, H2, O, O2, and OH. Other reaction products like H2O2 or HO2 remain minor. At the very high temperature of 3000 °C more than half of the water molecules are decomposed, but at ambient temperatures only one molecule in 100 trillion dissociates by the effect of heat. However, catalysts can accelerate the dissociation of the water molecules at lower temperatures.
Thermal water splitting has been investigated for hydrogen production since the 1960s [12]. The high temperatures needed to obtain substantial amounts of hydrogen impose severe requirements on the materials used in any thermal water splitting device. For industrial or commercial application, the material constraints have limited the success of applications for hydrogen production from direct thermal water splitting and with few exceptions most recent developments are in the area of catalytic and two step processes.

Feb 5th, '11, 05:29

by JBaymore » Feb 5th, '11, 05:29

cory,

It is a common process for us wood-firers. The cracking of the H2O is simpler and more effective in the presence of the coals in the firebox. Basically you are making "producer gas" or "water gas".

water gas
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press.

colorless poisonous gas that burns with an intensely hot, bluish (nearly colorless) flame. The gas is a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen with very small amounts of other gases, e.g., carbon dioxide, and is almost entirely combustible as a result. Water gas is so named because of the use of water (steam) in its preparation. This process involves treating white-hot hard coal or coke with a blast of steam; carbon monoxide and hydrogen are formed. The gas is manufactured in vast quantities for commercial use. It is of much importance in the preparation of hydrogen and as a fuel in the making of steel and in other industrial processes, e.g., the Fischer-Tropsch process .

"water gas." The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2008. Encyclopedia.com. 5 Feb. 2011 <http://www.encyclopedia.com>.

best,

...................john

Feb 5th, '11, 07:37

by bonjiri » Feb 5th, '11, 07:37

JBaymore wrote:cory,

It is a common process for us wood-firers. The cracking of the H2O is simpler and more effective in the presence of the coals in the firebox. Basically you are making "producer gas" or "water gas".

water gas
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press.

colorless poisonous gas that burns with an intensely hot, bluish (nearly colorless) flame. The gas is a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen with very small amounts of other gases, e.g., carbon dioxide, and is almost entirely combustible as a result. Water gas is so named because of the use of water (steam) in its preparation. This process involves treating white-hot hard coal or coke with a blast of steam; carbon monoxide and hydrogen are formed. The gas is manufactured in vast quantities for commercial use. It is of much importance in the preparation of hydrogen and as a fuel in the making of steel and in other industrial processes, e.g., the Fischer-Tropsch process .

"water gas." The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2008. Encyclopedia.com. 5 Feb. 2011 <http://www.encyclopedia.com>.

best,

...................john
john
fabulous !

thanks for this !
learning all the time !
thank you sensei !
wonderful !

i think it isn't too much of a combustible material, more an environment. what you think john ?

this is the fun process. learning and sharing !
THANK YOU SO MUCH JOHN !
i'm smiling as we speak sir !
AWESOME!
thanks john !

Feb 5th, '11, 11:36

by Robert Fornell » Feb 5th, '11, 11:36

bonjiri wrote:
3362868919_9027fc1d0d.jpg
thanks john

met up w/ seong il in seoul. great meeting
amazing .learned a lot

hey seong il this is a hydrogen reduced piece. it was located in the flue or chimney exit of kiln. amazing result i think. i imagine trying a whole kiln to look like this... LOL

thanks for the inspirations !

cheers
cory
Cory,

I'm liking the effect with the celedon........ keep it up! :?

Best,
R

Feb 9th, '11, 19:57

by bonjiri » Feb 9th, '11, 19:57

closeup of celadon
with shirogesho. or white slip
i put the light to create the most dramatic view of the crazing .
Attachments
5432485632_c8fe47c459.jpg
5432485632_c8fe47c459.jpg (35.7 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Feb 13th, '11, 04:04

by bonjiri » Feb 13th, '11, 04:04

detail of double walled chawan

need to work on more !

YAY
Attachments
1TTTCLOSEa.jpg
1TTTCLOSEa.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 994 times