2011 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '11, 23:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2011 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chip » May 12th, '11, 23:25

AdamMY wrote:
bambooforest wrote:
Chip wrote:
zemlemer wrote:Just received my orders: Kagoshima Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha KINARI from Maiko.
Yeah, those directions are more intended for "Joe Consumer," not crack-heads like us. You should be able to go .75- 1.0 grams per ouce water ... sometimes even more leaf. But I have not tried the 2011 YM shincha.
With few exceptions I have found that more leaf and a shorter steep time with sencha doesn't make for a superior cup.

With oolong, on the other hand, I prefer more leaf and a shorter steep time.

But with sencha, I don't find the flavor enhanced using this method...

I find that if you use more leaf and shorten the steep time, the first steep almost seems as if something's missing. To me, there are certain flavors being extracted after the minute mark which is why I prefer never to steep below 1.5 minutes and most usually around 1.40 to 2 minutes.

Moreover, in my opinion, if the second steep tastes superior to the first than the first steep was compromised as a result of the method one's using to brew the tea.

Sure, one benefit of much more leaf and shorter steep time is that subsequent steeps taste better and you can steep more. But to me, that's not worth it.

I generally use 3 grams per 5 ounces, or a little more.

Just sharing my perspective on this issue because many seem to be under the impression that with sencha... that to get the most delicious cup, you must use more leaf and a shorter steep time.

Well, maybe for other people's palettes this indeed makes a superior cup. I simply have not found this for myself. At least for most senchas. And that's why I thought it worth sharing.

Well depends, how much are you lowering the steep time? I think there is definitely much more of a three prong aproach, I prefer my sencha with a somewhat high gram per ounce ratio, not exactly sure how high as I rarely measure. But from when I have I would guess 1 gram per ounce is a good guess. But My first steep is usually between a minute and a minute and half. But I go quite cooler than the oft recommended 180 which most people on the forum believe is quite high in general. I would guess I brew my sencha's between 160 and 170 F.
I would not presume to say what would be the right way or even wrong way to brew for anyone else but myself. I think my style has been a natural and slow progression that began with around 1 gram per ounce for most sencha. Playing with times up to 2 minutes and leaf amounts of extremes to 2 grams per ounce, I have just slowly increased my amount of leaf to what I feel is right for me, usually a gram per ounce, but not always this much.

I am always glad to hear when someone has found their groove, always power to them!!! Dare I say ... brew how you like, like how you brew. But it is always wisdom to remain open minded to change, new ways to better brew, and this goes for me first and foremost.

May 13th, '11, 00:45

by iannon » May 13th, '11, 00:45

bambooforest wrote:
Chip wrote:
zemlemer wrote:Just received my orders: Kagoshima Yutaka Midori from O-cha and Shincha KINARI from Maiko.
Yeah, those directions are more intended for "Joe Consumer," not crack-heads like us. You should be able to go .75- 1.0 grams per ouce water ... sometimes even more leaf. But I have not tried the 2011 YM shincha.
Moreover, in my opinion, if the second steep tastes superior to the first than the first steep was compromised as a result of the method one's using to brew the tea.
perhaps the statements people have made on that second streep have been a bit misconstrued.. not sure "superior" is exactly the right word. perhaps favorite or something similar. and its not so much the case for Asa..but definately for me with Fuka, that the second steep gets just so nice and bright green and soupy and thicker. so not necessarily "better
in actual taste due to steep method but just different ..
not sure i cleared that up :? :lol:
Last edited by iannon on May 13th, '11, 01:32, edited 2 times in total.

May 13th, '11, 00:59

by Chip » May 13th, '11, 00:59

Ooops, misquotes Ian. :shock:

It is likely too late in the night for me to fix it w/o making it more messed up.

May 13th, '11, 01:00

by bambooforest » May 13th, '11, 01:00

If the second steep of medium or deep steamed sencha is your favorite, then you enjoy it more than the first steep, which by definition means you find it superior.

Perhaps this is just semantics.

I agree... the second steep is stunning. The color is better, too. The taste, vibrant.

That said, I still think, at least the way I brew, that the first steep of deeper steamed sencha has the most breadth of flavor.

And, from my perspective, I go out of my way to ensure that the sencha's flavor is best in the first steep because for me, the greatest potential of the leaf is revealed in the initial steep.

Of course, everyone's approach is different and there's no right way to brew. The right way is the way that makes you smile.

May 13th, '11, 05:55

by Stentor » May 13th, '11, 05:55

I agree with you to a degree and I think that for fukamushi sencha the leaf to water ratio you suggested is very good (3 g : 5 oz).
This is a ratio that I keep coming back to. With asamushi, I think I prefer a little more leaf. That's probably because not as much flavor gets extracted as quickly as with fukamushi. I do brew either stronger or lighter depending on my mood or willingness to measure the amounts exactly ;)

Do you really steep fukamushi sencha for 2 minutes, though?
I don't think I've ever tried that. However, I will give your method a try when I have some fukamushi on hand.
Also, I don't think that "you're doing it wrong" when the second steep is better than the first. I think it's just physics.
Of course, one can always like the specific taste of the first one better than the second. The second one is definitely more "blunt", which I think is what you find less interesting about it when compared to the first, which is more subtle and a bit more complex.

This leads us to a very important thing that you said:
bambooforest wrote:Of course, everyone's approach is different and there's no right way to brew. The right way is the way that makes you smile.

May 13th, '11, 13:28

by bambooforest » May 13th, '11, 13:28

Stentor wrote: Do you really steep fukamushi sencha for 2 minutes, though?
I don't think I've ever tried that. However, I will give your method a try when I have some fukamushi on hand.
Also, I don't think that "you're doing it wrong" when the second steep is better than the first. I think it's just physics.
Of course, one can always like the specific taste of the first one better than the second. The second one is definitely more "blunt", which I think is what you find less interesting about it when compared to the first, which is more subtle and a bit more complex.
I have before steeped mid steamed tea at 2 minutes. But probably more often I steep it for anywhere between 1.40 to 1.50.

For example, if I go low on the leaf amount (3 grams per 6 ounces) maybe I'll steep for around 2 minutes. (Though shincha tends to be stronger than non-shincha and I keep that in mind when brewing)

However, I don't use a scale anymore, so I never know exactly how much tea I'm using any longer. My scale broke and I just decided never to replace it. At some point I may.

I use water temperature around 165 to 170 F on first steep.

Your commentary on the second steep is interesting. Perhaps you're right. The second steep is more "blunt" in some ways but the first steep, to me, holds the widest range of flavor, which is what I find most appealing.

May 13th, '11, 13:59

by iannon » May 13th, '11, 13:59

bambooforest wrote:
Stentor wrote: Do you really steep fukamushi sencha for 2 minutes, though?
I have before steeped mid steamed tea at 2 minutes. But probably more often I steep it for anywhere between 1.40 to 1.50.

For example, if I go low on the leaf amount (3 grams per 6 ounces) maybe I'll steep for around 2 minutes. (Though shincha tends to be stronger than non-shincha and I keep that in mind when brewing)

However, I don't use a scale anymore, so I never know exactly how much tea I'm using any longer. My scale broke and I just decided never to replace it. At some point I may.

I use water temperature around 165 to 170 F on first steep.

Your commentary on the second steep is interesting. Perhaps you're right. The second steep is more "blunt" in some ways but the first steep, to me, holds the widest range of flavor, which is what I find most appealing.
I think what Stentor was saying about second steep is what I was TRYING to say..perhaps not so eloquently as Stentor :) I believe/feel that the second steep of most Fuka is just *different* by nature as Stentor stated. so "superior" is somewhat subjective (greater in rank or quality?). "Superior" in this regard (or favorite perhaps more so) to one person may not be to another is all.

May 14th, '11, 12:38

by verus » May 14th, '11, 12:38

How long will shincha be available generally? If I want to place an order in mid-june (have some money coming in then!) will there still be shincha, or will it have become sencha?

And I have to confess...I don't really understand the difference :oops: ...most sencha is also ichibancha, right? So that is also first harvest of the year. How is sencha from the first harvest different than shincha?

May 14th, '11, 12:44

by Chip » May 14th, '11, 12:44

verus wrote:How long will shincha be available generally? If I want to place an order in mid-june (have some money coming in then!) will there still be shincha, or will it have become sencha?

And I have to confess...I don't really understand the difference :oops: ...most sencha is also ichibancha, right? So that is also first harvest of the year. How is sencha from the first harvest different than shincha?
All shincha is ichibancha, but not all ichibancha is shincha. Ichiban is simply first flush, shincha is new harvest that has immediately from picking undergone full production and packaging for immediate sale.

If you see someplace selling shincha after say August, walk away. Shincha should be off the shelves by July or so, traditionally.

Basically, with each passing day, some shincha products will sell out, and they generally cannot be replaced til 2012. When it is gone, it is gone.

May 15th, '11, 13:56

by verus » May 15th, '11, 13:56

Chip wrote:
verus wrote:How long will shincha be available generally? If I want to place an order in mid-june (have some money coming in then!) will there still be shincha, or will it have become sencha?

All shincha is ichibancha, but not all ichibancha is shincha. Ichiban is simply first flush, shincha is new harvest that has immediately from picking undergone full production and packaging for immediate sale.

If you see someplace selling shincha after say August, walk away. Shincha should be off the shelves by July or so, traditionally.

Basically, with each passing day, some shincha products will sell out, and they generally cannot be replaced til 2012. When it is gone, it is gone.
Thanks!

I think I might be able to order early in June. I'm guessing there should be some left by then, unless you people drink everything!

May 15th, '11, 14:28

by Chip » May 15th, '11, 14:28

verus wrote:I think I might be able to order early in June. I'm guessing there should be some left by then, unless you people drink everything!
I am sure some Shincha offerings will be gone, but definitely not all.

I think I am noticing 2 trends towards buying shincha, well 3 trends ... though I am sure this is an over simplification.

There are some like me who purchased 2010 much later into the 2010 harvest year than normal. Normally by March I would be out of sencha, then I would not buy til shincha. This year I bought in March/April because of the situation in Japan (partly to help vendors out at that time and partly as a hedge). I don't think I have purchsed sencha this late in 5 years. I also bought a LOT of gyokuro at the same time ... again hedging my bets a bit. :mrgreen:

Then those who are in the buy Shincha NOW because again we know not what tomorrow may bring to Japan. They are rushing to get their shincha.

Then there are those who are just too paranoid to buy ... yet anyway.

I have not purchsed any shincha for personal consumption yet, last year by this time I had purchased around 10 different selections or more, but I have itchy fingers! But I also have a stocked TeaFridge.

However, good news, I have been working on the ShinchOTTI-s. One round for asamushi and one round for fuka/chu that I plan to run concurrently.

May 16th, '11, 05:55

by Jack_teachat » May 16th, '11, 05:55

Just ordered the Kirameki and Yutaka Midori from O-Cha, my first Japanese tea for quite a while, can't wait!! :D

May 16th, '11, 16:58

by exmechanistic » May 16th, '11, 16:58

I was ordering some more matcha from Ippodo today and it appears that Ippodo's shincha offering is also now available. I've enjoyed the sencha I've tried from them so I'm excited to try their shincha!

May 20th, '11, 16:53

by mlafranc » May 20th, '11, 16:53

On Wednesday I ordered shincha, gyo, and matcha from Ippodo, and it reached my summer address in New Hampshire today (Friday)! Pretty amazing.

May 24th, '11, 03:17

by Fireflower » May 24th, '11, 03:17

i am waitin for 3 packages of shincha traditional from hibiki an! this is my first order to this vendor and and it will be my first shincha, i am very excited.
i also rodered ohigashi!

+ Post Reply