3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

May 8th, '10, 01:15
Vendor Member

Re: The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by blairswhitaker » May 8th, '10, 01:15

in a sad turn my first hagi yunomi took a spill that it did not survive. This was a bummer, but I am trying to hold onto detachment, had it less than a week, and it was the first piece of teaware I have ever broke. I can't be too upset about this as it completely pales to having my brother pass away this month after only twenty six short years in this world... Though I know not the names and faces of the members of teachat it is a place of great refuge for me, hearing peoples stories of joy and love for tea and tea culture has been very helpful in this time of sorrow and hardship, also it makes me very thankful for the Camellia sinensis plant.
Last edited by blairswhitaker on May 8th, '10, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.

May 8th, '10, 01:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 8th, '10, 01:25

So sorry to hear of your loss of your brother. (I lost a brother when I was 18 and still feel a part of me is lost or seperated after many years).

Sorry about your Hagi too, and am glad to hear we are a source of joy in your life.

May 8th, '10, 01:55

by tmorten » May 8th, '10, 01:55

I have a general question regarding care for Hagi. I have read that when you acquire a new Hagi piece you should soak it for several hours? What is the benefit of doing this? Is this mainly to get rid of the earthy smell of the clay? Should you use boiling water for this?

Thanks

May 8th, '10, 02:12

by Chip » May 8th, '10, 02:12

Yes, it does greatly reduce the earthy aroma of a new Hagi, and you can do this periodically if needed. This soak also help to eliminate dust, ect from this permeable clay/glaze.

If it makes you feel better, you can place a towel on the bottom of the pot ... inside of course. This will prevent burner heat from getting too hot, and also prevent breakage from bumping around in boiling water.

You should put it into a pot of warm water and bring the temp up to a slow boil. Usually I will then turn it off and let it sit til cool. If the odor persists, allowing to soak for a longer period up up to 8 hours will usually do the trick.

It is equally important to allow Hagi to dry in a well ventilated area for several days in order to fully dry.

May 8th, '10, 03:23

by tmorten » May 8th, '10, 03:23

Thanks Chip :D I'm in the process of doing this right now. I like your idea about putting the towel inside the pot. It's like the Hagi is protected by a force field within the pot :lol: Great thinking!

May 8th, '10, 06:43

by Victoria » May 8th, '10, 06:43

blairswhitaker wrote:in a sad turn my first hagi yunomi took a spill that it did not survive. This was a bummer, but I am trying to hold onto detachment, had it less than a week, and it was the first piece of teaware I have ever broke. I can't be too upset about this as it completely pales to having my brother pass away after only twenty six short years in this world... Though I know not the names and faces of the members of teachat it is a place of great refuge for me, hearing peoples stories of joy and love for tea and tea culture has been very helpful in this time of sorrow and hardship, also it makes me very thankful for the Camellia sinensis plant.
I am so sorry to hear of your Hagi accident and to learn of the loss of your brother. I am glad you find refuge here, we are a big family; diverse and yet focused. May you find healing here as we journey along together.

May 8th, '10, 16:54

by Victoria » May 8th, '10, 16:54

Here is my newest Hagi piece. From a small Etsy potter in Hagi, Mr. Nakahara. It is beautiful, no leaking, and has a great feel in hand.

May 8th, '10, 17:00

by iannon » May 8th, '10, 17:00

Victoria wrote:Here is my newest Hagi piece. From a small Etsy potter in Hagi, Mr. Nakahara. It is beautiful, no leaking, and has a great feel in hand.
Very nice..oddly enough I JUST got an email back from them with a question i had..what a small hagi world!...so you like it a lot? how much does it hold? :D

May 8th, '10, 17:26

by Victoria » May 8th, '10, 17:26

Well about 6oz to near the top, but more like 4-5oz comfortably. I might mention the pic they have up on the site is this cup. I wrote and told them about this. There is a girl helping them and she is better with correspondence.

As I told someone else who is also interested in this cup :wink:
I talked to the girl helping this potter, several months ago when I bought the plate. I told her about our group and how we would be interested and are potential buyers. How we would like to see pics of the shop itself and the potter and of course more pieces and choices. That is when they started their own Etsy shop, at first she was posting for them. But they still need help and are probably not ready for any volume. Keep encouraging them because we are here, interested and want to buy!

May 8th, '10, 17:41

by debunix » May 8th, '10, 17:41

Indeed. As I just realized the other day, I now have one splendid yunomi at work and one for home. But when someone came into my office and I was already drinking from my yunomi, I didn't have an equally splendid cup for my guest.....

May 11th, '10, 17:43
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » May 11th, '10, 17:43

just got some new hagi to ease the pain of having broken my kashun cup. post some pics later.

May 12th, '10, 00:58
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » May 12th, '10, 00:58

so here is the "good", after breaking my first hagi I decided not to abandon the idea but to get back in the game with a matching set.

no reason to be "green" with envy, because I now have a cup to share.

briny, umami, sencha goodness.

A neighbor joined me and we had a fine time enjoying some afternoon SoCal sun and breaking in these rugged but beautiful Kashun pieces.

May 12th, '10, 01:07

by AdamMY » May 12th, '10, 01:07

Wowza....

Must not buy more Hagi!

May 12th, '10, 02:21
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 12th, '10, 02:21

That is a beautiful layout! I love the tray you use. It's smoothness and simplicity works perfectly with the Hagiyaki.

May 12th, '10, 02:22
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 12th, '10, 02:22

AdamMY wrote:Wowza....

Must not buy more Hagi!
You know you must.

+ Post Reply