Basic infos

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 15th, '09, 00:47

Basic infos

by JPX » Jul 15th, '09, 00:47

All the oolongs i tasted so far were amazing. I would say my favorite teas are either green or oolongs teas.

Im wondering if there is some kind of ''quality of teas tree'' like you get in japanese green.

What i mean is that with green tea from japan you know that bacha is comon tea, then you get sencha, gyokuro and macha (include all their variation and transformations)

with oolong, is there something similar?

Like, if i drink an anxi guy (spelling?), where would that tea rank in the ''tea tree''?

im sorry if im not so clear..Trying to find a way to be but its kinda hard lol.

Jul 15th, '09, 02:05

by beachape » Jul 15th, '09, 02:05

Check out the wikipedia article on oolong (tea...not the rabbit). They break it down for you. Basics categories would be Yancha (RockTea), Anxi (TieGuanYin) types, then your Guangdong varieties. Also have Taiwan varieties.

These varieties result from different processing and different regions

Also, within each variety you will have different levels. Quality levels A-AAA for example, and classifications on fragrance. These aren't necessarily the result of different processing, but the qualities of the harvest/product.

Jul 15th, '09, 08:23

by JPX » Jul 15th, '09, 08:23

thank you very much.

Jul 15th, '09, 16:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » Jul 15th, '09, 16:25

You may find this useful:

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2007/ ... tea-2.html

This applies specifically to Dan Cong tea.

Jul 15th, '09, 17:06
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jul 15th, '09, 17:06

Jul 15th, '09, 17:30
Scrolling: fixed

Off the top of my head.

by Intuit » Jul 15th, '09, 17:30

Crude classification

Region: 4 basic ones.

Subregion (where grown in region, altitude and subclimate, soils effects) - often used for grading teas.

Leaf type (size, hard or soft stem, leaf coloration, etc)

Harvest season / when harvested (early, mid or late season)

Oxidation (extent, conditions), determines (generally) cup color and storage (aging potential), with initial drying, cooling/resting steps, followed by mechanical or hand gentle rubbing, tossing, bruising to encourage release of hydrolysis enzymes.

Regional processing practices establishes commonly noted fragrance and flavor for the tea variety with process-specific enrichment to accentuate these qualities within varieties.

Fixation ( high heat quenching of hydrolyzing enzymes that release compounds within the leaf)

Post-fixation; rolling/pelletizing, twisting and baking (roasting, low heat drying), usually in cycles.

Resting duration (passive processing).

+ Post Reply