New to tea ... completely

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Aug 18th, '09, 18:02

New to tea ... completely

by paisan70 » Aug 18th, '09, 18:02

Hello, teachatters! I am new to this forum, but it's better than that. I'm new to tea altogether. But after looking all over the internet for a relatively definitive answer to an important question, I know that I found the right place.

I have never liked tea. Not even iced tea, and that's saying a lot from The South (I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida). But then something happened ... I grew up. That is to say, I've grown to like many things that as a child or adolescent I didn't like ... dare I say, even hated. But I've always been an amateur chef. Over the many years of loving good food, I wanted to learn how to pair wines. And so I have become a wine enthusiast. I have become one of those dreaded foodies, "ugh, can you believe they served that with that?" I hang my head in shame. But, my favorite program on tv is Good Eats with Alton Brown, and after watching his True Brew episode on Tea, I suddenly found myself interested in trying it again. Yummy! So that's why I liked hot tea at the chinese restaurants when i was a kid.

I went to a food experience of a lifetime at Victoria and Albert's, a 5 diamond 4 star blah blah blah restaurant at the Grand Floridian Hotel in Walt Disney World. I mention that because it was a 6 course meal with wine pairing that we ate excruciatingly slow to savor every moment. When it came time for dessert, my friend and I normally order coffee, but we experimented by having tea with the fruity desserts (I think it was oolong). Man oh man!! Tea goes GREAT with fruit desserts.

Alas, I need to post in the teaware and accessories section so I can start off with the right teapot. God bless you all, and I look forward to joining you in poo poohing the non-tea drinking heathens.

Aug 18th, '09, 18:48

Re: New to tea ... completely

by woozl » Aug 18th, '09, 18:48

Welcome,
Wine and food also developed my palate for fine tea.
Also the fact I'd never had quality loose leaf.

Aug 18th, '09, 19:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 18th, '09, 19:06

Welcome! Oolong is truly a wonderful tea!
Nice to have you with us!

Aug 18th, '09, 19:29

by Zanaspus » Aug 18th, '09, 19:29

Welcome! Start slowly. Buy a gaiwan for brewing. Sample lots of stuff. This is what I'd do if I had it all to do again, but if you're like me, just buy 500 pots you'll never use again. Obsession is my game. :lol:

Aug 19th, '09, 06:13

by Trey Winston » Aug 19th, '09, 06:13

Welcome :D

Aug 19th, '09, 12:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 19th, '09, 12:39

Welcome paisan to the forum, look forward to seeing you around here.

Like what you drink, drink what you like ...

+ Post Reply