Feb 8th, '06, 21:58

I think I found the perfect glass mug!!!

by Kai » Feb 8th, '06, 21:58

WOOT!
My glassware arrived.

http://www.anchorhocking.com/products.asp -> Coffee Mugs
http://www.anchorhocking.com/images/P_32_ZOOM.jpg

I ordered this from Amazon (but I think it really came from Target.com)
6 - 16oz Glass Mugs for $20. I figured I'd give them a try, since I haven't found a good glass mug for drinking tea. I'd like to be able to see my tea and keep it warm in a nice large mug that fits well in my clumsy paws.

They're quite Hefty and made of pretty thick glass. I'm hoping that it insulates better than the more elegant, yet thinner glassware I've used in the past.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of the size and build of them.
http://kaiser.shackspace.com/AnchorHock

Also, I don't have my IngenuiTea yet, so I'm not sure how well it fits. The diameter of the mug is about 3.9 inches (10cm) from outside rim to rim. If it doesn't fit, I'm sure you can angle the IngenuiTea to fill your cup.

One thing to note, is that it's 16oz to the very rim, so realistically, you would probably only put 12 to 14oz when you're drinking tea, so that you don't make a mess or burn yourself.

I noticed while shopping around the web, that Anchor-Hocking makes the same exact mug in Crystal and Cobalt glass. I have no idea how those hold up to wear and tear. I'm guessing the crystal does poorly because I noticed a few reviews saying how easily these glasses chip. And the cobalt mug defeats the purpose of being able to see your tea.

So, that's my mini-review. I'm brewing a cup of tea in a bit and I'll take a pic a bit later.

Kali says Hi.
http://kaiser.shackspace.com/Kali01.jpg

Edit:
Awesome
http://kaiser.shackspace.com/AnchorHock/Yummy.jpg
Last edited by Kai on Feb 8th, '06, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 8th, '06, 22:10

by garden gal » Feb 8th, '06, 22:10

I like the cat!
She's famous now- she's been seen by the million or so readers of tea chat!

Feb 8th, '06, 23:40

by TeaFanatic » Feb 8th, '06, 23:40

Awesome, and one of the best deals that you can find anywhere!!! 6 for 20 dollars, that's so cheap!!

Great Review, I look forward to getting some soon.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 10th, '06, 11:03

by Kai » Feb 10th, '06, 11:03

My IngenuiTea came in.

It doesn't fit over the mug, so you have to tilt and do the edge thing.
No biggie, but might be a niggle for some.

Feb 10th, '06, 16:47

by TeaFanatic » Feb 10th, '06, 16:47

Yeah, that wouldn't be a big problem for me. Sounds great, I look forward to getting some.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 15th, '06, 01:12

by TeaFanatic » Feb 15th, '06, 01:12

Oddly enough, my girlfriend bought me one of these mugs for V Day. I have to say, besides the looks (not terrible, but these mugs certainly are not extremely pretty by any means) this mug is exactly what I have been looking for.

It is clear with pretty good heat retention and a huge handle. The glass is thick, meaning that I do not really worry about it breaking. It is big enough (16 oz) to hold a lot more tea than most glass mugs and is really a pretty darn good mug.

Last of all, this mug is CHEAP. Highly recommended!
"Make tea not war"

Feb 15th, '06, 11:18

by Kai » Feb 15th, '06, 11:18

haha, cool gfs rule.

See, I told ya it was an awesome mug.
The only little thing that bugs me is that the IngenuiTea 2.0 doesn't fit perfectly over it.

But otherwise, they're great. Easy shape for holding, smart shape for cleaning and otherwise awesome. The only other "problem" is that they are heavy. This isn't a mug you can roam the halls of work with. You *will* get tired. But I guess it could be considered a workout? :D

Feb 15th, '06, 11:34

by rhpot1991 » Feb 15th, '06, 11:34

My fiance picked me up one of these mugs after I told her how I had been looking for some nice large glass mugs. I am not a big fan of the foot on it, but other than that it looks real nice. I am a little concerned that the opening seems to be larger than similiar mugs I use. I have noticed that the larger the opening the quicker your tea cools off. Adagio needs to get some of these, chop off the foot and toss their name on them, it would be perfect then.

-John

Feb 15th, '06, 11:56

by Kai » Feb 15th, '06, 11:56

Speaking of feet, it's a good insulator. IE, the bottom doesn't get super hot. I do agree about the large opening tho, but as long as I heat my glass, it maintains temp as long as it takes for me to drink.

:D

Feb 15th, '06, 16:52

by TeaFanatic » Feb 15th, '06, 16:52

I have had no problem with heat retention so far. Interesting enough, it seems that the tea cools down quickly to a drinkable temperaure and then stays there. Maybe I am making that up, but it seems to be that way.

Also with the ingenuitea, I place it slightly off center and it will sit on the cup without me having to hold it in place.

The only problem that I have with the mug is that it is not the prettiest thing ever, but I can live with that for only 3 bucks.
"Make tea not war"

Mar 24th, '06, 02:54

by KIEV » Mar 24th, '06, 02:54

They sell these mugs at Walmart, few $ i think...

Starbucks takes the same mugs, puts their logo on it and resells them for like $15 :lol:

Mar 24th, '06, 03:13

by TeaFanatic » Mar 24th, '06, 03:13

Yea walmart and target too I believe. They are about $3 a piece if a remember correctly. The low price easily makes up for some of the mugs deficiencies. Plus it is the only big glass mug I have been able to find.
"Make tea not war"

+ Post Reply