Aug 14th, '18, 11:05

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Zared » Aug 14th, '18, 11:05

OCTO wrote: Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice papaya pots! What era are they from?

Aug 14th, '18, 11:06

Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by OCTO » Aug 14th, '18, 11:06

Zared wrote:

They are from the 50s - 70s period.

*edited... apologies.. just realized the typo.

Last edited by OCTO on Aug 14th, '18, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 14th, '18, 13:34

by Zared » Aug 14th, '18, 13:34

OCTO wrote:
Zared wrote:

They are from the 50s - 60s period.

We don't often see this shape here so you should post some more pics of them. They look nicely done for sure.

Aug 14th, '18, 14:32

by tingjunkie » Aug 14th, '18, 14:32

Nice! What is the volume?

Aug 14th, '18, 22:44

by francisfaustino » Aug 14th, '18, 22:44

Here are two pots I got from Yunnan Sourcing about ten days ago. Been using both of them for yancha.
38405148_10155665539641367_2876390510673526784_o.jpg

Aug 15th, '18, 09:38

by OCTO » Aug 15th, '18, 09:38

tingjunkie wrote:
Nice! What is the volume?
It’s 350cc... ZhuNi.

Last edited by OCTO on Aug 15th, '18, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 15th, '18, 09:40

by OCTO » Aug 15th, '18, 09:40

Zared wrote:
OCTO wrote:
Zared wrote:

They are from the 50s - 60s period.

We don't often see this shape here so you should post some more pics of them. They look nicely done for sure.

Here you go.... ImageImage

These two are from the 50s - 60s period.

This one is from the 70s

Cheers!

Aug 17th, '18, 02:55

by francisfaustino » Aug 17th, '18, 02:55

38501220_10155665539601367_608493314181693440_n.jpg
Clay: Qing Shui Ni
Size: Exactly 100 ml with the lid on
Age/Year: New
Walls: Thick but I'm not sure
Pour: About 10 seconds
Source: Yunnan Sourcing
Tea Pairing: Yancha (DHP, Rou Gui, etc.)
Info: I used this continuously for a bit over a week when I got it. It now has a very distinct smell inside that my wife describes as "shea butter".

Aug 17th, '18, 15:17

by teapotluck » Aug 17th, '18, 15:17

Zared wrote:
teapotluck wrote: I'm a newbie, but as my User ID implies, I have good luck finding tea pots at antique stores for very little $$.

I'd recommend not using those pots. The metal one is meant for decorative purposes only and likely made unsafe materials. The clay ones look like slip cast chemical pots to me. The porcelain pot is likely fine for tea.
Zared, a quick search of this website reveals many conversations about slip cast. They aren't worth a lot of $, but they can work well for tea, and are unlikely to be unsafe. Since I paid 5$ for the pots that look slipcast, I think I will be OK. They both dribble when they have tea in them, so I'm going to look into what to do about that.

The light blue clay may have been created by use of a blue mineral mixed into white clay. Anyway, the main point of this thread seems to be how to use your pots well, and the two slip cast pots seems to do best with green tea. The rooster pot so far seems to treat pu er the best.

Dec 4th, '18, 03:19

by LadyFortuna » Dec 4th, '18, 03:19

Hello everyone, I am new here from Vancouver, Canada. As recommended by some folks here I did some reading prior to purchasing. Read (more like skimmed :P ) the Stonewares of Yixing by K. S. Lo. I think I still paid a hefty sum since I recently got this at an auction in N.Y. but I do love the design of this enamel yixing pot. This is my third yixing pot.

I haven't "officially" used it yet since I just got it yesterday but I tested it tonight and here's what I have:

- Clay type: likely zhini? Low/Med/High fired? comparing it from my zhu ni (high fired) and other zhini (low fired) this appears to be somewhat in the middle. So medium fired?
- Size of pot in ml or oz. 400 ml with lid on
- What year/decade the pot was made. Was told it was from early to mid 19th century
- If the pot is thin-walled, medium, or thick-walled. Not sure...feels like medium to me
- How long is the pour? long pour on a single hole 20-22 seconds
- Where you acquired the pot. Eddie's Auction
- What type of tea you make with it. Since it is western-large, I will highly likely use some roasted green tea in it...I'm currently toying with Hojicha. Or anything not too expensive for daily tea brewing
- What qualities the pot has on tea. i.e. Why do you like to brew a certain tea in it, and what does it do for that tea? I haven't tried it yet because I would like to ask people's opinion on whether an enameled yixing is safe for "seasoning". I don't want anything happening to the enamel. Thoughts and advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathy
Attachments
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG (43.29 KiB) Viewed 919 times

Dec 5th, '18, 00:26

by Zared » Dec 5th, '18, 00:26

LadyFortuna wrote: Hello everyone, I am new here from Vancouver, Canada. As recommended by some folks here I did some reading prior to purchasing. Read (more like skimmed :P ) the Stonewares of Yixing by K. S. Lo. I think I still paid a hefty sum since I recently got this at an auction in N.Y. but I do love the design of this enamel yixing pot. This is my third yixing pot.

I haven't "officially" used it yet since I just got it yesterday but I tested it tonight and here's what I have:

- Clay type: likely zhini? Low/Med/High fired? comparing it from my zhu ni (high fired) and other zhini (low fired) this appears to be somewhat in the middle. So medium fired?
- What year/decade the pot was made. Was told it was from early to mid 19th century
- If the pot is thin-walled, medium, or thick-walled. Not sure...feels like medium to me
- What type of tea you make with it. Since it is western-large, I will highly likely use some roasted green tea in it...I'm currently toying with Hojicha. Or anything not too expensive for daily tea brewing
- What qualities the pot has on tea. i.e. Why do you like to brew a certain tea in it, and what does it do for that tea? I haven't tried it yet because I would like to ask people's opinion on whether an enameled yixing is safe for "seasoning". I don't want anything happening to the enamel. Thoughts and advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathy
Imho it doesn’t look very old. More photos are needed though to make an accurate judgment.

Dec 6th, '18, 13:35

by LadyFortuna » Dec 6th, '18, 13:35

Zared wrote:
LadyFortuna wrote: Hello everyone, I am new here from Vancouver, Canada. As recommended by some folks here I did some reading prior to purchasing. Read (more like skimmed :P ) the Stonewares of Yixing by K. S. Lo. I think I still paid a hefty sum since I recently got this at an auction in N.Y. but I do love the design of this enamel yixing pot. This is my third yixing pot.

Thanks,

Cathy
Imho it doesn’t look very old. More photos are needed though to make an accurate judgment.
Finally, I learned how to attach more photos! :) Here you go.
Attachments
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG

Jan 4th, '19, 10:11

by azteke » Jan 4th, '19, 10:11

Hello!

Please help me, where should I get my first Yixing Clay Pot? I could pay more than 100USD+ so that is not a problem, I just need a quality one. Please help me out!

Jan 28th, '19, 11:48

by johan65 » Jan 28th, '19, 11:48

IMG-20190127-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20190127-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20190127-WA0002.jpg
Hi, i'm new here. Need help identifying this pot, ex: artist, year made, etc. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by johan65 on Jan 30th, '19, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 28th, '19, 17:24

by Zared » Jan 28th, '19, 17:24

azteke wrote: Hello!

Please help me, where should I get my first Yixing Clay Pot? I could pay more than 100USD+ so that is not a problem, I just need a quality one. Please help me out!
There are already a bunch of threads that answer your question.

This would be my first choice for good quality pots at reasonable prices.
https://emmettsteas.weebly.com

+ Post Reply