May 30th, '17, 12:30

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by tcsmeg » May 30th, '17, 12:30

kyarazen wrote:
tcsmeg wrote:
Yu (fish) hua(transform to) long(dragon) Meaning transformation of level from fish to dragon (a prosperity wishes). A traditional type of model but not everyone could master the skill.

Nice teapot anyway.
most are made with the use of moulds anyway.. not requiring super skills
But the texture of the clay make me doubtful if it is made fully by mould(灌注壶)

May 30th, '17, 22:35

by kyarazen » May 30th, '17, 22:35

tcsmeg wrote:
But the texture of the clay make me doubtful if it is made fully by mould(灌注壶)
yixing pots from that era are mostly made with the aid of moulds, not necessarily 灌注壶 (slip cast).

slip casting was only attempted by f1 for a very brief period..

May 31st, '17, 00:42

by stevorama » May 31st, '17, 00:42

kyarazen wrote:
tcsmeg wrote: But the texture of the clay make me doubtful if it is made fully by mould(灌注壶)
yixing pots from that era are mostly made with the aid of moulds, not necessarily 灌注壶 (slip cast).
slip casting was only attempted by f1 for a very brief period..
By appearances this particular teapot was made with assistance of a mold (not slip cast) and hand finished. Fairly common practice I think?

May 31st, '17, 02:20

by kyarazen » May 31st, '17, 02:20

stevorama wrote: By appearances this particular teapot was made with assistance of a mold (not slip cast) and hand finished. Fairly common practice I think?
yes :D
some of the molds still exist today. and for the yu hua long i have seen the lid and dragon moulds for the head, tongue etc, in the hands of a taiwanese collector

Jun 1st, '17, 15:37

by stevorama » Jun 1st, '17, 15:37

kyarazen wrote:yes :D
some of the molds still exist today. and for the yu hua long i have seen the lid and dragon moulds for the head, tongue etc, in the hands of a taiwanese collector
The lid is interesting and surprising that the parts all fit together after firing. On mine the air hole is easily blocked by liquid causing dribbling though...

Jun 6th, '17, 13:23

by Aquarama » Jun 6th, '17, 13:23

Here are my first two. One was $50 and one was several hundred... Is the $50 one safe to use? The seller has much more expensive pots and claims the pot to be natural Zhuni clay with nothing added. The color did not come out that well.
Attachments
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG (15.94 KiB) Viewed 866 times
IMG_1425.JPG
IMG_1425.JPG (13.54 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Jun 7th, '17, 15:36

by Zared » Jun 7th, '17, 15:36

Unused peng gai shuiping from 40's. Scared to even use this as I fear I'll break it.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... dc5951.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 7th, '17, 17:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 7th, '17, 17:46

Zared wrote: Unused peng gai shuiping from 40's. Scared to even use this as I fear I'll break it.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... dc5951.jpg
Zared, I know well how you feel :mrgreen: .. but teapots were meant to be used, so with extreme care and attention, go ahead and use it. Btw, nice SP, I like it!

Jun 7th, '17, 20:05

by Zared » Jun 7th, '17, 20:05

Thanks. Yea this pot definitely needs to be used. I just gotta get it prepped for service. Hopeing it works well with mid aged puerh since that's what I drink most these days.

Jun 9th, '17, 19:46

by Hislifeinyou » Jun 9th, '17, 19:46

So I bought a shui ping style Taiwan-clay pot, and i love it. My goal here is to potentially obtain some mor info. It definitely looks hand made, or at least mould-assisted. I'm thinking it could be a defect that got sold cheaper. My reasoning is that the spout is crooked and has slightly irregular texture.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 658ad4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... aa2b71.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... fb524d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 276ab1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 73cbe2.jpg[/IMG]

Jun 10th, '17, 19:21

by Ferg » Jun 10th, '17, 19:21

First time I'm posting in this thread, so new territory for me. A friend sourced this for me and it just might be my first keeper. Hope you enjoy the pics! :D
Sunlight.jpg
Filter.jpg
Stamp.jpg
As this is my first post here, I'll follow tingjunkie's original description format.

Clay: F1 Zini clay made by F2
Size: 90/95 ml (my ideal Yixing size is 100ml)
Age/Year: 1985/1986
Walls: Medium?? I am only guessing here.
Pour: +/- 12 sec. Little to no drips (I suck at pouring from these things in general. Going traditional pour with this one). Nice lid fit.
Source: Private collector
Tea Pairing: Just had my first session with Victoria's kindly gifted Hau Ying Chen's Mountain Roasted Oolong. Stellar from the first brew. My main hesitation in using Yixing has always been clay and tea pairing. I plan to brew up a variety of different teas in this to see what is best. If you have a particular suggestion, I welcome any feedback!
Info: Although this was made in the late 80s, apparently F2 utilized the F1 quality Zini clay from the green-label period (’77 - ’82) as there was a large demand for this particular size and clay at the time.

Jun 11th, '17, 02:10

by Zared » Jun 11th, '17, 02:10

Another nice pot Ferg. Doesn't look like it'll be super porous. If so try it with mid or well aged sheng that doesn't need too much storage/roughness muted. Clay looks similar to the pot you just sold?

Jun 11th, '17, 10:55

by Ferg » Jun 11th, '17, 10:55

Zared wrote: Another nice pot Ferg. Doesn't look like it'll be super porous. If so try it with mid or well aged sheng that doesn't need too much storage/roughness muted. Clay looks similar to the pot you just sold?
Thanks Zared. The pot just sold was even more high-fired, at least on the outside of the pot. It felt super smooth, unlike anything held in my hand to date. Supposedly, this clay is from that same time frame. The clay is nice, but it feels more similar to other Yixing pots previously owned. The color on this is quite nice, has a purple hue to it.

However, being a later 80s pot, it was valued at about half the price. As I've mentioned, I prefer brewing out of something more reasonably costed, particularly Yixing, which still feels much more unfamiliar to me than Kyusu.

Jun 11th, '17, 12:42
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 11th, '17, 12:42

Ferg wrote:
Zared wrote: Another nice pot Ferg. Doesn't look like it'll be super porous. If so try it with mid or well aged sheng that doesn't need too much storage/roughness muted. Clay looks similar to the pot you just sold?
Thanks Zared. The pot just sold was even more high-fired, at least on the outside of the pot. It felt super smooth, unlike anything held in my hand to date. Supposedly, this clay is from that same time frame. The clay is nice, but it feels more similar to other Yixing pots previously owned. The color on this is quite nice, has a purple hue to it.

However, being a later 80s pot, it was valued at about half the price. As I've mentioned, I prefer brewing out of something more reasonably costed, particularly Yixing, which still feels much more unfamiliar to me than Kyusu.
Ferg, that pot will be wonderful with roasty oolongs. It looks like my F1 zini shuipings from the 80s!

Jun 11th, '17, 13:38

by Zared » Jun 11th, '17, 13:38

Ferg wrote:

I too am more comfortable using less expensive teapots since I'm fearful of breaking them. Most of mine are just late 80-90s but I've reached the point where I wanna invest in only older pots. Yet I still find it hard to resist these pots when they're selling at a reasonable price though. I need to unload some of my less used pots soon.

+ Post Reply