brewing old tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 21st 09 5:39 pm
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 17th 09 8:40 am

brewing old tea

by purerealm » Dec 21st 09 5:39 pm

is it ok to rebrew tea that's been infused once 3 days ago?

User avatar
Dec 21st 09 5:42 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: brewing old tea

by olivierco » Dec 21st 09 5:42 pm

No.

User avatar
Dec 21st 09 6:29 pm
Posts: 394
Joined: Jan 26th 09 7:43 am

Re: brewing old tea

by beachape » Dec 21st 09 6:29 pm

...why?

Technically it could be ok if you dried the leaves after you used them. My grandma used to do that with teabags. Now I'm not sure why she wanted to save that extra 5 cents to have a really crappy cup of tea.

Short answer. Buy more tea.

User avatar
Dec 22nd 09 7:25 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: brewing old tea

by olivierco » Dec 22nd 09 7:25 pm

I don't see how green tea leaves could be dried effectively: it is already quite difficult to keep green tea leaves fresh, even in a airtight cannister.

User avatar
Dec 25th 09 5:52 am
Posts: 394
Joined: Jan 26th 09 7:43 am

Re: brewing old tea

by beachape » Dec 25th 09 5:52 am

Oh they will not be fresh. You dry them on a window sill. I'm not saying it will taste good. I'm just saying it can be done.

User avatar
Dec 25th 09 4:34 pm
Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2nd 09 1:31 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: brewing old tea

by brad4419 » Dec 25th 09 4:34 pm

You "can" do it. As long as you let the leaf dry out it shouldn't hurt you but I bet you will only try it once because its so awful.

User avatar
Dec 25th 09 4:37 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: brewing old tea

by Chip » Dec 25th 09 4:37 pm

... bleh ... Why?

I guess some Chinese greens could be dried, but not really Japanese ... more likely going to end up with a moldy mess.

User avatar
Dec 25th 09 5:13 pm
Posts: 394
Joined: Jan 26th 09 7:43 am

Re: brewing old tea

by beachape » Dec 25th 09 5:13 pm

Like I said, my grandma used to do it. Its part of a skill set you learn during the great depression. Its also why she would never throw out used containers of any sort.

User avatar
Dec 25th 09 5:45 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: brewing old tea

by Chip » Dec 25th 09 5:45 pm

Heh, wasn't talking about your grandma, just wondering why the OPer wanted to do it "today"?

Dec 28th 09 7:20 pm
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 17th 09 8:40 am

Re: brewing old tea

by purerealm » Dec 28th 09 7:20 pm

cuz... green tea ain't cheap!

what about day old tea? is that rebrewable after sitting in tea for a day?

User avatar
Dec 28th 09 8:11 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: brewing old tea

by olivierco » Dec 28th 09 8:11 pm

What precise green tea are you talking about?

Anyway, I wouldn't rebrew one day old leaves, not even one hour old leaves in fact although some actually do it regularly.
I prefer to brew smaller but consecutive steeps.

Dec 28th 09 10:20 pm
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th 06 5:42 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

Re: brewing old tea

by Proinsias » Dec 28th 09 10:20 pm

I often brew green tea a few times at night, leave the tea steeping overnight and then get another few brews the next day.

Some people do brew the same leaves for weeks on end, usually pu-erh or oolong so it can be done. I believe when using this method the tea is normally submerged most of the time, and the tea is of very high quality.

User avatar
Dec 29th 09 6:38 am
Posts: 394
Joined: Jan 26th 09 7:43 am

Re: brewing old tea

by beachape » Dec 29th 09 6:38 am

Green tea only gives about 3 steeps before it becomes flavorless. Other teas may last longer. As mentioned pu er and oolong teas will give you a longer session.

Before you tell yourself that tea is expensive, break it down. You can get some quality "cheap" greens from places like adagio for a very reasonable price. At first I thought it was expensive to spend 10 bucks on a container of tea, before I realized how long it lasted and how much it compared to coffee/soda/etc.

Jan 7th 10 10:41 am
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 7th 10 10:33 am

Re: brewing old tea

by Sithirap » Jan 7th 10 10:41 am

The answer is "No". I found a good site that gives plenty of information on green tea brewing. green tea experience dot com
Last edited by Chip on Jan 8th 10 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link broken due to forum rule violation. Please read the forum rules located under Introduction.