Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 17th, '17, 11:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Apr 17th, '17, 11:15

This afternoon I had some delicious Baozhong (2016) in F1 70 ml Hongni SP from early/mid 70s.
I really like this tea and I must say it pairs really really well with this clay!
I look forward to the new season's harvest; I always buy some as soon as it gets available (usually late April / May) .. I definitely need to finish my stash from last year :lol:

Apr 19th, '17, 10:06

by chrl42 » Apr 19th, '17, 10:06

Ma Tou Yan (horse head rock) Rou Gui..

Spicy..cinnamon...I'd say very 'typical' Rou Gui characteritics..

MTY Rou Gui is one of the strongest flavors in Yancha..as always (and my wallet got empty :lol: )

Apr 19th, '17, 10:36

by William » Apr 19th, '17, 10:36

chrl42 wrote: Ma Tou Yan (horse head rock) Rou Gui..

Spicy..cinnamon...I'd say very 'typical' Rou Gui characteritics..

MTY Rou Gui is one of the strongest flavors in Yancha..as always (and my wallet got empty :lol: )
Where you bought it Chrl?

Apr 19th, '17, 11:00

by Henk » Apr 19th, '17, 11:00

Drinking Hojo's An Xi Rou Gui. Such an easy tea to love. It tastes fairly roasted but not at all overpowering, on the contrary, it really brings out the fine flavour.

(AfAIK it's not sold online, only in Hojo's Kuala Lumpur outlet. Just in case, the code is O54C)

Apr 19th, '17, 11:09

by William » Apr 19th, '17, 11:09

Henk wrote:
(AfAIK it's not sold online, only in Hojo's Kuala Lumpur outlet. Just in case, the code is O54C)
Good to know .. 8)

Apr 21st, '17, 04:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 21st, '17, 04:16

Drinking 2015 certified organic Anxi TGY in a 100ml dragon egg pot (modern zhuni). This tea is much better than the last time I tried it; the teapot might be the difference as I think my last two sessions were in a gaiwan. Lots of sweetness and tropical flavors. Very smooth, even with the pot well stuffed with leaf. I really like this tea now! It's exceptionally hot in HK for this time of year and now we have serious rain...again, early for this kind of rainfall. At 4pm it looked like it was 8pm outside, and then it began to pour! Humidity is near 100% outside, but I have the air conditioner going. I can't wait to leave the warehouse so all of my pu can bask in the heat and humidity.

Apr 21st, '17, 18:05

by dizzo » Apr 21st, '17, 18:05

I just received my first yixing pot. It is a Hongni f1 from the 70s. I had The Drawer 2 that I got from Ethan, and I must say, this has really showed me that yixing does matter!
I found this tea to have an over roasted flavor through my gaiwan. I cut the leaf and flash infused. This made the tea so much better, but the yixing has brought it to a whole new level. The char has gone from the forefront, to an undertone. Now I can taste a beautiful collage of green leaf and a sweetness. Wonderful!

Last night I got to try "The potion" From Taiwan Sourcing. I had this out of my trusty gaiwan. I dont think Ive had a tea evolve so much over the half dozen infusions I had. This may be my favorite tea I have ever had! I would still be a novice, but even my untrained palate can tell there is something special here.

Apr 21st, '17, 18:16
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 21st, '17, 18:16

Hey, dizzo. Sounds like you are getting into it. How good it can get is really good, yes? Yes! Enjoy.

Apr 22nd, '17, 05:28

by William » Apr 22nd, '17, 05:28

I had this afternoon a lovely deep roasted ShuiXian; I must say the roast was really strong, so I had to use a porous clay, i.e. Zini SP, ROC period. Lovely texture and flavors .. I need to buy more of it!

Apr 22nd, '17, 15:11

by victoria3 » Apr 22nd, '17, 15:11

William wrote: I had this afternoon a lovely deep roasted ShuiXian; I must say the roast was really strong, so I had to use a porous clay, i.e. Zini SP, ROC period. Lovely texture and flavors .. I need to buy more of it!
Yes, porous clays really work well with roasted oolongs, that's why Hokujo's stoneware pots work so well for me as well as zini.

Apr 22nd, '17, 15:31

by William » Apr 22nd, '17, 15:31

victoria3 wrote: Yes, porous clays really work well with roasted oolongs, that's why Hokujo's stoneware pots work so well for me as well as zini.
Thanks to a generous friend, I have had the good fortune of using Hokujo's clay for a couple of months. I totally agree with you Victoria, Hokujo's clay pairs wonderfully with roasted oolongs .. oddly, I also liked how it paired with DanCong, a typical low fired tea.

Apr 22nd, '17, 15:38
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 22nd, '17, 15:38

dizzo wrote:
Last night I got to try "The potion" From Taiwan Sourcing. This may be my favorite tea I have ever had! I
Which harvest did you buy? Spring or Winter?

Apr 22nd, '17, 22:06

Re: RE: Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by joelbct » Apr 22nd, '17, 22:06

William wrote:Thanks to a generous friend, I have had the good fortune of using Hokujo's clay for a couple of months. I totally agree with you Victoria, Hokujo's clay pairs wonderfully with roasted oolongs .. oddly, I also liked how it paired with DanCong, a typical low fired tea.
He makes pots for oolong? Hmm, I have a hokujo (sadly on opposite coast) kyusu and matching water cooler, my favorite pieces probably, but only ever used them for sencha/gyokuro. It's regular tokoname clay not, I think, "stoneware" (does stoneware in this context mean like bizenware?).

Apr 23rd, '17, 02:52

by William » Apr 23rd, '17, 02:52

joelbct wrote: He makes pots for oolong? Hmm, I have a hokujo (sadly on opposite coast) kyusu and matching water cooler, my favorite pieces probably, but only ever used them for sencha/gyokuro. It's regular tokoname clay not, I think, "stoneware" (does stoneware in this context mean like bizenware?).
I think he mainly makes side-handle kyusu and shiboridashi (and seldomly also back-handle kyusu). I personally used a shiboridashi, extremely comfortable to be used with boiling water (he is a real master in making them). The color of the clay wasn't the typical strong red that Tokoname wares have; it was more on the brown/dark purple tone with a faint red tinge.

Apr 23rd, '17, 16:19

by victoria3 » Apr 23rd, '17, 16:19

William wrote:
joelbct wrote: He makes pots for oolong? Hmm, I have a hokujo (sadly on opposite coast) kyusu and matching water cooler, my favorite pieces probably, but only ever used them for sencha/gyokuro. It's regular tokoname clay not, I think, "stoneware" (does stoneware in this context mean like bizenware?).
I think he mainly makes side-handle kyusu and shiboridashi (and seldomly also back-handle kyusu). I personally used a shiboridashi, extremely comfortable to be used with boiling water (he is a real master in making them). The color of the clay wasn't the typical strong red that Tokoname wares have; it was more on the brown/dark purple tone with a faint red tinge.
I have one of his back handle pots as well as his kyusu. I went ahead and finally posted something about Hokujo in an attempt to answer a question ferg posed a while back regarding why I like using his pots for roasted oolongs. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12445&p=293932#p293932

+ Post Reply