Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 29th, '17, 18:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Apr 29th, '17, 18:49

Just had some unroasted Ali Shan (spring 2016) along with my breakfast. So buttery and creamy, I love it!
I truly hope this new season's harvest to be as good as the one I just had.

Apr 29th, '17, 19:58

by victoria3 » Apr 29th, '17, 19:58

jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
That QSN might do very well with dank pu as well!
Ok, will try it with some pu that ferg gave me, so far I've only had terrible pu so will be interesting.
Anything Ferg sent you should be decent. Was it the Camphor Aroma Sheng from EoT?
Oh Yes Jay, I now see Ferg did include EoT 2000 camphor aroma & Origin; 1995 Mengku Ye- Sheng-Da-Ye Raw Puerh Cake, Mid 90s CNNP Ba- Zhong Red Mark Raw Tea Cake, 1996 CNNP 7542 - HK trad (I see you sell this one) ... lots to explore, an endless journey ...

Apr 29th, '17, 19:59

by victoria3 » Apr 29th, '17, 19:59

William wrote: Just had some unroasted Ali Shan (spring 2016) along with my breakfast. So buttery and creamy, I love it!
Buttery & creamy is how I like it too. Where did you source yours?

Apr 29th, '17, 21:01

by Bok » Apr 29th, '17, 21:01

William wrote: Just had some unroasted Ali Shan (spring 2016) along with my breakfast. So buttery and creamy, I love it!
Oben thing that is sure is that it is delayed and less in quantity. The weather has not been favourable.

Apr 30th, '17, 06:04

by William » Apr 30th, '17, 06:04

victoria3 wrote: Buttery & creamy is how I like it too. Where did you source yours?
Here in Japan.

One dealer in particular based in Tokyo, who unfortunately doesn't sell online (he doesn't need I guess), goes to the mountains during spring season each year. He deals exclusively with high mountain material. Expensive but legit.
This Ali Shan in particular (Qing-Xin), garden located at around 1600m/1700m, costed me 2万円 (around 180 USD) for 100 grams, pre-booking only. As I said, expensive but legit!
Bok wrote: Oben thing that is sure is that it is delayed and less in quantity. The weather has not been favourable.
I hear this kind of news each year :lol:

Apr 30th, '17, 08:09

by Bok » Apr 30th, '17, 08:09

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Buttery & creamy is how I like it too. Where did you source yours?
Here in Japan.

One dealer in particular based in Tokyo, who unfortunately doesn't sell online (he doesn't need I guess), goes to the mountains during spring season each year. He deals exclusively with high mountain material. Expensive but legit.
This Ali Shan in particular (Qing-Xin), garden located at around 1600m/1700m, costed me 2万円 (around 180 USD) for 100 grams, pre-booking only. As I said, expensive but legit!
Bok wrote: Oben thing that is sure is that it is delayed and less in quantity. The weather has not been favourable.
I hear this kind of news each year :lol:
Those are crazy prices for Alishan! But I guess Japan has hefty import taxes.

Well the weather is going crazy every year now with all the climate change going on...

Apr 30th, '17, 08:32

by William » Apr 30th, '17, 08:32

Bok wrote: Those are crazy prices for Alishan! But I guess Japan has hefty import taxes.

Well the weather is going crazy every year now with all the climate change going on...
Definitely not cheap at all.

But it is also true that many Ali Shan Gaoshan I had the opportunity to try, typically priced 40~60 USD for 100 grams, often are from garden located at a lower altitude (not a real issue as far as the tea is still delicious) or mixed with material from other mountains (this is the real issue).

The real nightmares are TianChi LiShan, late spring harvest BaiHao, DaYuLing, etc. .. all those exotic oolongs so tasty yet so expansive!

Apr 30th, '17, 09:21
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 30th, '17, 09:21

I am amazed how people know so many names of tea. I cannot connect a varietal's name with its taste. Fortunately, I am managing to travel to taste many teas and can choose just by what I like.
I cannot commit to an untasted tea with confidence.
I notice in Taiwan that if leaves come from a great height, buyers will usually be told; however, in my limited experience I've found excellent tea far down from the top….. No one says, this is from "only _____ meters high".
I was retailing jade at a fair yesterday & some tea. When asked "What tea is this?", people were thinking it would a simple answer such as "green" or "oolong". I'd wear people out talking about oxidation and roasting; then say something to let them know on a quality range, the tea was far to the better side. To wit, all oolong or whatever, is not equal. cheers

May 3rd, '17, 12:53

by dizzo » May 3rd, '17, 12:53

ethan wrote:
dizzo wrote:
Last night I got to try "The potion" From Taiwan Sourcing. This may be my favorite tea I have ever had! I
Which harvest did you buy? Spring or Winter?
I have both. I found the spring to be better, but I have only tried the winter once and the spring three times. Ill post again once ive tried them both enough to feel I have a good grasp for comparison.

May 3rd, '17, 13:03

by dizzo » May 3rd, '17, 13:03

Right now I am enjoying a DaYuLing from Taiwan Sourcing. I am getting some great creaminess
Interestingly, I enjoyed the DaYuLing from Teavivre more. It had a sweetness that I really enjoyed.

May 3rd, '17, 13:48

by JRS22 » May 3rd, '17, 13:48

[attachment=0]IMG_201.jpg

I'm enjoying a session of Wuyi 3 Stamps Shu Xian from TeaLifeHK. I brew it in a 65ml red shudei pot by Maekawa Junzo that works very well for yancha. Very mellow with chocolate notes.
Attachments
IMG_201.jpg
IMG_201.jpg (60.15 KiB) Viewed 799 times

May 3rd, '17, 14:13

by victoria3 » May 3rd, '17, 14:13

Beautiful trio jrs22.
Has anyone else on this forum purchased several different HY Chen's Medium Roasted DongDing's from 2016? I'm curious because the profiles seem to vary quite a bit. I think Spring and Fall were more beautiful roast with hints of maroon in the leaves and more fragrant aroma. Or is it me?

Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing Winter 2016
Mid Roasted Dongding- Fall 2016
Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 2016

& from kyarazen share
Traditional Dongding 2016 Spring

May 3rd, '17, 19:56

by JB-ONE » May 3rd, '17, 19:56

Having a nice Rou Gui from Cindy Chen Wuyi Origin and a Dong Ding from Floating leaves
Attachments
rsz_1img_1769 2.jpg
rsz_1img_1769 2.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 766 times

May 4th, '17, 02:11

by Bok » May 4th, '17, 02:11

victoria3 wrote: Beautiful trio jrs22.
Has anyone else on this forum purchased several different HY Chen's Medium Roasted DongDing's from 2016? I'm curious because the profiles seem to vary quite a bit. I think Spring and Fall were more beautiful roast with hints of maroon in the leaves and more fragrant aroma. Or is it me?

Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing Winter 2016
Mid Roasted Dongding- Fall 2016
Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 2016

& from kyarazen share
Traditional Dongding 2016 Spring
Usually, there are huge differences between Spring, Summer and Winter teas. Summer being usually the worst. Most oolongs are only arvested in Spring and winter, with the exception of black teas. The full oxidation can make up for certain shortcomings of the leaves.

That June white is totally different kind of tea in my oppinion, not a classic DD. I still like it though, something different for a change.

I mostly skip the spring harvest and buy more of the Winter harvest as I prefer that taste profile. Which seems to be common among Taiwanese tea drinkers.
Last edited by Bok on May 4th, '17, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, '17, 09:43
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 4th, '17, 09:43

Government-grade Dongfang Meiren from 2015 (purchased in 2016). This tea is incredible. It's mellowed and matured some, but still has lovely notes of osmanthus, apples, lychees and perhaps a little oak, too. Brewing in a Shudei kyusu for a change. Damn nice tea. Brewing longer at 1 min, 1 min 30, and the next will be 2 mins. Really lovely tea and by far the best Oriental Beauty I've ever gotten my hands on. We really lucked out finding this stuff and I've had it squirreled away for a year, only dipping into it twice in all of that time. Glad I dipped into the can tonight!

+ Post Reply