Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 4th, '17, 08:49
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Feb 4th, '17, 08:49

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Gotcha, thanks! I tried the EoT Camphor Sheng Ferg sent along. That's a nice pot--EoT have them in hongni right now if you want a red yuli to go along with the zini one. :)
Lol, TAD enabler Image...somehow I went from 3 Yixing to 12 last year. One the other hand, it took me 8years to slowly acquire 16+Kyusu Image and then of course all the necessary accessories cups, caddies, pitchers, fabrics, trays....
I managed to go from five to fifty+ last year, so I feel your pain :cry: I only bought one kyusu though! Bought a vintage Jingdezhen tea table that came with three sets of matching cups and a gaiwan with a saucer (but the lid is missing). I also got two cups that were handpainted on an island here in HK just off the island I live on...it used to be full of porcelain factories. I've wanted to check out the factory forever!

Feb 4th, '17, 12:09

by debunix » Feb 4th, '17, 12:09

A really nice session with Da Hong Pao from Wing Hop Fung yesterday--their 'Supreme Big Red Robe'--and something I did with it--but I don't know precisely what--led to an exceptionally fine session, brewed up in the thermos, with powerful and pleasing 'rock' taste. It was like drinking the granite boulders that in the forest, instead of the earthier humus from the forest floor in the form of puerhs.

Feb 4th, '17, 18:27

by victoria3 » Feb 4th, '17, 18:27

jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Gotcha, thanks! I tried the EoT Camphor Sheng Ferg sent along. That's a nice pot--EoT have them in hongni right now if you want a red yuli to go along with the zini one. :)
Lol, TAD enabler Image...somehow I went from 3 Yixing to 12 last year. One the other hand, it took me 8years to slowly acquire 16+Kyusu Image and then of course all the necessary accessories cups, caddies, pitchers, fabrics, trays....
I managed to go from five to fifty+ last year, so I feel your pain :cry: I only bought one kyusu though! Bought a vintage Jingdezhen tea table that came with three sets of matching cups and a gaiwan with a saucer (but the lid is missing). I also got two cups that were handpainted on an island here in HK just off the island I live on...it used to be full of porcelain factories. I've wanted to check out the factory forever!
Wowa... either you rotate every 50 days or maybe sell some tea ware on your site Image

Feb 5th, '17, 10:11
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 5th, '17, 10:11

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Wowa... either you rotate every 50 days or maybe sell some tea ware on your site Image
I actually use them all...they each have specific niches to fill :) I consider them a working investment, as I feel prices will go up significantly in the years to come. I will definitely be adding more teaware to the site, but I'm holding onto my older Yixings for now! Modern Yixings will be going up for sure, though.

Feb 6th, '17, 19:58

by victoria3 » Feb 6th, '17, 19:58

When I'm working in my studio I might have 2-5 teapots in use daily; a couple from the night before and a few from the day.

Just finished Tony's Origin 2014 102K DaYuLing. Wow knocked me over. Now I see what all the hype is about re DYL. This was one was super rich, too bad there is no more...

Feb 7th, '17, 06:59
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 7th, '17, 06:59

victoria3 wrote:.

Just finished Tony's Origin 2014 102K DaYuLing. Wow knocked me over. Now I see what all the hype is about re DYL. This was one was super rich..
By "rich" do you mean flavorful? Do you mean it ?

Cheers

Feb 7th, '17, 13:46

by victoria3 » Feb 7th, '17, 13:46

ethan wrote:

Just finished Tony's Origin 2014 102K DaYuLing. Wow knocked me over. Now I see what all the hype is about re DYL. This was one was super rich..
By "rich" do you mean flavorful? Do you mean it ?
Cheers
The liquor was packed with full flavor. It was buttery, rock fruity, chestnuty, sweet and had a long lingering palate. It steeped full body through each infusion. Today I'm having the 8th that sat overnight and it is still rich.

Feb 7th, '17, 23:29
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 7th, '17, 23:29

victoria3 wrote:
ethan wrote:

Just finished Tony's Origin 2014 102K DaYuLing.
Cheers
The liquor was packed with full flavor. It was buttery, rock fruity, chestnuty, sweet and had a long lingering palate. It steeped full body through each infusion. Today I'm having the 8th that sat overnight and it is still rich.
Wow! That sounds as good as it gets. I enjoyed dayuling from Tony that was pre-2014, I think. I remember sweetness, fruit flavors, lingering palate, & minerals. Last year had similar dayuling from Dr Chen minus the minerals. I don't remember body being as full.

We don't need to drink these special teas all the time, but it's great to have one sometimes & to hear about them. Cheers

Feb 8th, '17, 01:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 8th, '17, 01:34

Alishan Jinxuan (2016). My sister got three bags of nice TW oolong from someone at work and literally threw them at me. lol. Loose leaf tea isn't her thing, so when she's given tea she always gives it to me. Good stuff, but the flavor has dropped off over the last year. Still pleasant, but much less intense now. Quite the caffeine bomb, too, but quite calming at the same time.

Feb 10th, '17, 14:44

by pedant » Feb 10th, '17, 14:44

just had an amazing session of "baozhong" from ethan. i don't know if it's me or if it's just from the tea resting, but it tastes way better than when i had it months ago. great mouth feel and a very pleasing tartness that seems to travel along the edges of my tongue.

Feb 12th, '17, 00:52

by victoria3 » Feb 12th, '17, 00:52

Really enjoyed a mind blowingly good sample via Ferg of Origin's 2010 Dong Ding Co-Op Competition Oolong steeped in an early 90s Qing Shui Ni Shui Ping from Origin also via Ferg. It's my 1st very low roast DongDing and it's delicious. It has an aroma and flavour profile I have a hard time describing but I'll try; it's very rich, sweet rock fruit that is full bodied and sweet through many steeps. Using 1/2 my sample @ 8gr/100ml/under boil/45sec. Wow. Great very fine, well balanced pot too.

& earlier today Floating Leaves 2014 Bai Hao Oolong in my magical CCCI (I think) yixing., super aromatic, overwhelmingly perfumed, a perfume that is not artificial. Peach apricot, floral spice with camphor notes....aroma dictates flavor, aroma infuses liquor. Later on a mucatel aroma with a flowery taste. Nice.

Feb 12th, '17, 03:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 12th, '17, 03:19

2015 Wuyi Meizhan. This is an interesting tea as I've tasted it in blends before, and now I'll recognize it in a blend because of it's distinctive flavor. Smooth with almond notes...really quite nice.

Feb 15th, '17, 18:03
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 15th, '17, 18:03

Qilan (gift from John B): An enjoyable example of quality though the flavor is fairly simple. Again John has given me some yancha that he described as good w/o much enthusiasm, that I feel is very good. The taste of smoke is combined w/ a fresh sour taste which together = a flavor that is just right for me. I don't need any further complexity. I've prepared this in glass, my all-purpose yixing, & unglazed-on-the inside pot from Taiwan which seems to be best for this qilan. I've been sloppy or careful in preparation & all sessions have been enjoyable.

It was great to see John in Bangkok though we were sitting in my tiny hotel room.

Feb 17th, '17, 13:23

by tst » Feb 17th, '17, 13:23

Looking to buy some kind of roasted Wuyi (anything really ... Shui Xian, DHP, etc.). Saw W2T has a Shui Xian, but haven't tried that one. Have tried one from EoT, but that was years ago. Any recommendations for me? Really craving something!

Thanks!

Feb 18th, '17, 09:23
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 18th, '17, 09:23

tst wrote: Looking to buy some kind of roasted Wuyi (anything really ... Shui Xian, DHP, etc.). Saw W2T has a Shui Xian, but haven't tried that one. Have tried one from EoT, but that was years ago. Any recommendations for me? Really craving something!

Thanks!
I am totally a high roast shuixian nut. I have a few on my site--they might interest you! I am adding an everyday drinking-grade shuixian very soon (in fact, I should do that right now)!

+ Post Reply