Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

February Fave tea? Details: name, source, origin, type? 2 votes.

ORIGIN: IT WAS FROM China
9
20%
Japan
8
18%
Taiwan
3
7%
India
0
No votes
(Darjeeling)
0
No votes
Africa
1
2%
South America
0
No votes
USA
0
No votes
TYPE: IT WAS A Black
2
4%
Oolong
7
16%
Green
10
22%
White/Yellow
2
4%
Pu-erh
2
4%
Herbal
1
2%
 
Total votes: 45

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 6:38 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by Chip » Feb 27th 10 6:38 am

Here is to a great TeaDay! Please be sure to share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Yesterday we discussed new harvest tea or shincha. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. What was your fave tea of the month for February? Please share some details including name, source, origin, type!

I am looking forward to sharing fave teas on TeaDay! Bottoms up.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 8:40 am
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by Victoria » Feb 27th 10 8:40 am

My favorite tea for February has been oolong. I have been using up some older stash. Finding it still very good even though not as bright and a bit faded, still surprisingly good.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 12:40 pm
Posts: 138
Joined: Apr 20th 09 8:42 pm

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by dooble » Feb 27th 10 12:40 pm

It was some 'high quality' snowbud tea I bought from Madrid. I finally managed to brew an amazing cup of it! Supposedly it is from Fujian.
It was sweet but not too sweet like some japanese greens. Perfect, just perfect.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 2:44 pm
Posts: 212
Joined: Jan 31st 10 5:45 pm
Location: Olney, Texas

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by msurads06 » Feb 27th 10 2:44 pm

For february my fave tea is probably white peony. I tried some chinese and japanese greens this month. Not hugely fond of either. The chinese greens i seem to finally be getting something drinkable (or i am getting used to the taste). I think i will abandon the japanese greens for a while and try them again in a year.

Finishing off my white peony this morning, not sure what the rest of the day will bring.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 2:57 pm
Posts: 722
Joined: Dec 1st 09 1:47 pm
Location: Tennessee Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by artmom » Feb 27th 10 2:57 pm

February brought a Anxi Oolong (Tian Hua) from Silk Road Teas into my tea choices. It was my favorite new tea of the month. China is its origin. I think it will remain high on my list for a long time to come. Very satisfying, and several good steepings make it a winner!

It will be my first cup of the day in a few minutes.:)

New doggie Barclay was an angel last night in his crate. Not even a small whine until he awakend at 8 a.m. this morning. Hooray. :!:

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 3:18 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by Chip » Feb 27th 10 3:18 pm

msurads06 wrote:For february my fave tea is probably white peony. I tried some chinese and japanese greens this month. Not hugely fond of either. The chinese greens i seem to finally be getting something drinkable (or i am getting used to the taste). I think i will abandon the japanese greens for a while and try them again in a year.
Oh no! Japanese greens can be a fickle tea in virtually every respect. First and foremost though, it is the sourcing of Japanese greens, get a bad one and you will not get it to work for you. Get a good one, and you could still have brewing issues! So, I am curious, where did you get this one(s), and what was the selection(s)? This could be the root of the problem. But then again, Japanese greens are not for everyone.

Began the TD with a Japanese sencha. Yeah I know, shocking right? I don't think I can pinpoint one sencha that was better than all the rest. Sencha reserves are dwindling currently, and the best of the best sencha are all gone.

I was joined by SweeTea who slurped her sencha while Gandalf and Lili were casual visitors to the TeaTable.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 3:46 pm
Posts: 1628
Joined: Jun 17th 08 6:11 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by geeber1 » Feb 27th 10 3:46 pm

Usually my favorites are Indian blacks, but this month my fave was a Yunnan from Puerh Shop. I ordered some Puerh for my husband and added this for myself, and I'm really enjoying it - it's almost time to order more! Said Yunnan is in my cup this morning.

Happy Birthday Victoria!

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 5:06 pm
Posts: 212
Joined: Jan 31st 10 5:45 pm
Location: Olney, Texas

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by msurads06 » Feb 27th 10 5:06 pm

I tried the sencha and genmaicha from dens. tried brewing several different ways/temps/times (also on different days, sometimes this affects whether i like a tea or not). Based on dens recomendations then recomendations on teachat. The genmaicha wasnt too bad, but no matter how i tried the sencha was always too bitter. I havent tried the Houjicha yet, have to finish one of my other samples so i will have a tin available. Maybe i just need to let my tastes develop before i will be able to appreciate the flavors. I am not giving up for good, just taking a break.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 5:28 pm
Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2nd 09 1:31 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by brad4419 » Feb 27th 10 5:28 pm

Taiwanese Oolong was the best of February and more specifically it was Da Yu Ling.

Happy Birthday Victoria!

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 6:09 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by olivierco » Feb 27th 10 6:09 pm

Japan: wakamatsu no mukashi matcha, ippoen gyokuro were the best teas of february for me.

Kanro gyokuro in a few minutes.

Bon anniversaire Victoria!

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 6:37 pm
Posts: 857
Joined: Oct 13th 07 2:12 pm
Location: Nørwåy

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by Trey Winston » Feb 27th 10 6:37 pm

While I had more White Peony than any other tea this month, my favorite was actually Ancient Moonlight, which I only had on a couple of occasions.

Gratulerer med dagen, Victoria! :D

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 7:15 pm
Posts: 2228
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by AdamMY » Feb 27th 10 7:15 pm

Happy Birthday Victoria,

I'm starting off the day with a Nepal black tea, and trying to finish up a Zen Buddhism paper.

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 8:21 pm
Posts: 722
Joined: Dec 1st 09 1:47 pm
Location: Tennessee Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by artmom » Feb 27th 10 8:21 pm

Many Happy Returns of the Day, Victoria!

A delicious cup of Mariage Freres Marco Polo just hit the spot. :)

User avatar
Feb 27th 10 9:28 pm
Posts: 1574
Joined: Dec 31st 08 2:16 am
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by iannon » Feb 27th 10 9:28 pm

Taiwanese Oolongs for me this month..cant decide which was my very favorite though..either the Long Feng Xia or the Da yu ling. both from TFT

Feb 27th 10 11:42 pm
Posts: 475
Joined: Jan 18th 10 2:44 am
Location: Albany, NY; New York City, NY; or Bath, ME

Re: Saturday TeaDay 2/27/10 Fave tea for February?

by Skippyandjif » Feb 27th 10 11:42 pm

My favorite tea of February would have to be the Bi Lo Chun that I tried for the first time, although it only narrowly beat out the Gunpowder green tea (another first try-- it was amazing!), the Assam mixed with rose petals, and my old friend, the looseleaf pu-erh.

The tea day started with a couple cups of genmaicha, which will be followed by some pu-erh while doing the laundry and later, some white tea while studying.