Karigane recommendations

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 16th, '10, 14:09

Karigane recommendations

by Ramsay » Mar 16th, '10, 14:09

Please recommend some good karigane teas-gyokuro or sencha.

Thanks

Mar 16th, '10, 23:48
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Karigane recommendations

by Chip » Mar 16th, '10, 23:48

Otsuusen from Tsuen Tea Shop through O-Cha, strongest of the bunch
Karigane Sencha, Hibiki-an ... like a tropical sea breeze w/o the fishiness
Den's Kukicha

Mar 17th, '10, 00:07

by Webb » Mar 17th, '10, 00:07

I've had karigane gyokuro from both Hibiki-an and Horaido, and while both were tasty, I preferred the one from Hibiki-an.

Mar 17th, '10, 00:37

by Victoria » Mar 17th, '10, 00:37

Good to know because I just ordered it from there!
And welcome to the forum!

Mar 17th, '10, 11:25

by puerhking » Mar 17th, '10, 11:25

The shincha version of Zencha's Kukicha Super Premium is great.

http://www.zencha.net/products_shizu.php

The shincha version should be available by May.

Mar 17th, '10, 12:55

by brian » Mar 17th, '10, 12:55

Chip wrote: Karigane Sencha, Hibiki-an ... like a tropical sea breeze w/o the fishiness
Newbie question, is this "sea breeze" a common characteristic of kukicha? I recently went through some Den's Houji-Kukicha, and it was very red-brown and focused on the sweet and roasty side, didn't notice any sea breeze. A couple of days ago I started on Den's Tencha-Kuki Houjicha, and it's quite different. Seems to be roasted lighter, the stem is more green and the flavor fresher. The first infusion especially had a very "salt air" note to the aroma, and I got a briny impression in the flavor as well. It subsided a bit in following infusions, but I really like this tea, I appreciated the added complexity over the "comfort food" feeling of the darker houjicha. I haven't tried a straight green kukicha yet, I'm wondering if I should expect more of this ocean theme?

Mar 17th, '10, 13:47

by Chip » Mar 17th, '10, 13:47

brian wrote:
Chip wrote: Karigane Sencha, Hibiki-an ... like a tropical sea breeze w/o the fishiness
Newbie question, is this "sea breeze" a common characteristic of kukicha? I recently went through some Den's Houji-Kukicha, and it was very red-brown and focused on the sweet and roasty side, didn't notice any sea breeze. A couple of days ago I started on Den's Tencha-Kuki Houjicha, and it's quite different. Seems to be roasted lighter, the stem is more green and the flavor fresher. The first infusion especially had a very "salt air" note to the aroma, and I got a briny impression in the flavor as well. It subsided a bit in following infusions, but I really like this tea, I appreciated the added complexity over the "comfort food" feeling of the darker houjicha. I haven't tried a straight green kukicha yet, I'm wondering if I should expect more of this ocean theme?
Since Houjicha is roasted, a lot of the subtle characteristics will be gone and replaced with toasty/nutty notes. I would not expect a refreshing sea breeze sensation from these teas.

The Hibiki-an selection Sencha Karigane I mentioned is ALL sencha byproduct, no Gyokuro byproduct. It is also first flush, so I think much of this Karigane's character is a bit unique. I also like the dry aroma of the Hibiki-an Sencha Karigane. This is a very refreshing sensation tea.

I have noticed it to a lesser degree in Den's Kukicha.

I have not had very many Kukicha/Sencha Karigane. I like them, but will usually only get it once or twice a year.

Mar 17th, '10, 13:52

by Chip » Mar 17th, '10, 13:52

On a side note, I find it a bit amusing ...

In Uji ... places like Hibiki-an refer to stem vein sencha teas prestigiously as Karigane which loosely and poetically translates to "floating geese."

While just about anywhere else such as Den's Shizuoka sencha stem/vein teas are more humbly called Kukicha.

I just find that ... interesting ... at the end of the day, it is just byproduct tea made from leaf stems and veins.

Mar 18th, '10, 07:59

by skilfautdire » Mar 18th, '10, 07:59

Hibiki-an offers a special edition 'Super Premium' karigane, blended with matcha. Any impressions on this one ?

Mar 18th, '10, 14:00

by Chip » Mar 18th, '10, 14:00

This is a bit of a juxtaposition in my mind.

Usually matcha is added to enhance a lesser grade tea and not to an already super premo offering. I am sure it is quite good nevertheless.

Mar 18th, '10, 19:53

by teaisme » Mar 18th, '10, 19:53

yuuki's Karigane Genmaicha and Uji Sencha Karigane are very good

The karigane genmai is probably my fav genmai. Mix in a little fuka and you have one of my favourite blended combo's.

Den's 3 kukichas are also good, and all very different from each other

Only tried those 5 kukicha/karigine/Shiraore so far, figure I will continue next with yuuki's Kumamoto Yabe Sencha Shiraore and gyokuro karigane.

Anyone given these 2 a try ?

Mar 19th, '10, 21:37

by Ramsay » Mar 19th, '10, 21:37

Chip - The Tsuens Ostuusen Karigane-is it very bitter or astringent? Please give the flavor profile in more generally understood terms. Thanks!

Mar 19th, '10, 21:46

by Chip » Mar 19th, '10, 21:46

Ramsay wrote:Chip - The Tsuens Ostuusen Karigane-is it very bitter or astringent? Please give the flavor profile in more generally understood terms. Thanks!
I hope Olivier will chime in here as it has been a year since I had it.

It has a full flavor like gyokuro with tart or citrus notes. If brewed properly, it is definitely not bitter. Astringent, I do not recall, but some astringency is a good thing.

I hope that is not too general. :mrgreen:

Mar 21st, '10, 23:14

by Chip » Mar 21st, '10, 23:14

Two brand new entries from the "O-C." Both are a bit of a diversion from the more traditional kukicha/Karigane.

http://www.o-cha.com/sakura-sencha.html made from "sencha, sencha stems, and sakura (Japanese cherry tree) leaf." This one sounds particularly intriguing especially this time of the year.

http://www.o-cha.com/hokkori-cha.html made from "gyokuro, sencha, and gyokuro stems."

Mar 13th, '20, 04:27

by mutroke » Mar 13th, '20, 04:27

puerhking wrote: The shincha version of Zencha's Kukicha Super Premium is great.

http://www.zencha.net/products_shizu.php

The shincha version should be available by May.
I also liked Zencha's Kukicha Super Premium, more than Sencha Karigane from Hibiki-an, it had a stronger taste (much stronger) probably also because of more leaf compared to the Hibiki-an which has more stems than leaf, but for me the most important is that the Zencha Kukicha has much more L-Theanine, but the price is also double so, not a fair comparison. The Sencha Karigane from Hibiki was great for the price, but to extract the L-Theanine punch :mrgreen: you need much hotter water ( close to boiling) and longer steeps, it's not bitter though .

+ Post Reply