Japanese Greens and Headaches

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 23rd, '10, 16:23

Japanese Greens and Headaches

by AdamMY » Mar 23rd, '10, 16:23

Note this does not happen with all Japanese greens, it happens mostly with lower priced Japanese greens almost exclusively, but I get this dull ache penetrating my entire head.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and do they have any solutions?

I know the obvious one is don't drink inexpensive Japanese greens, but I would like to finish off this bag of Gyokuro as it is all I have other than samples of non matcha Japanese greens to last me to shincha.

Mar 23rd, '10, 16:30
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Japanese Greens and Headaches

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '10, 16:30

Hmmm, interesting. I don't recall this happening to me. If you do not mind my asking, who is the vendor and which selection?

Cheap gyo can just be bad news in general, imho. Just not worth the aggrevation.

Mar 23rd, '10, 16:33

by AdamMY » Mar 23rd, '10, 16:33

The two teas that have caused this were:

Wegmans Tomo Sencha, and Ippodo's Kakurei.

I have had no problems with any of ippodo's other offerings. I'm almost wondering if certain pesticides or fertilizers are sometimes used, or used more on the less expensive offerings which are causing these headaches.

Mar 23rd, '10, 23:24

by Tead Off » Mar 23rd, '10, 23:24

AdamMY wrote:The two teas that have caused this were:

Wegmans Tomo Sencha, and Ippodo's Kakurei.

I have had no problems with any of ippodo's other offerings. I'm almost wondering if certain pesticides or fertilizers are sometimes used, or used more on the less expensive offerings which are causing these headaches.
Personally, I've drunk the Kakurei, all 100g and didn't notice anything except that I like their Rimpo more. :D

Did you drink the teas on an empty stomach? Many people complain about Japanese greens irritating their stomachs and feeling a bit queasy or nauseous. This has happened to me a few times.

Mar 24th, '10, 08:21

by JBaymore » Mar 24th, '10, 08:21

Adam,

Never had that experience. Interesting. This is consistently reproduceable?

best,

................john

Mar 24th, '10, 08:29

by AdamMY » Mar 24th, '10, 08:29

JBaymore wrote:Adam,

Never had that experience. Interesting. This is consistently reproduceable?

best,

................john

I will have to see with the Kakurei, as yesterday was the first time I was having it, but with the Wegmans (A local Grocery Store Chain) sencha it happened just about every single time (can not remember if there might have been one or two that it didn't happen).

I hope it is not reproducible with the Kakurei, and it was just a one time thing from something else.

Mar 24th, '10, 11:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 24th, '10, 11:01

I hope you are not able to reproduce the symptoms again!!! :mrgreen:

Mar 25th, '10, 00:29

by beachape » Mar 25th, '10, 00:29

When I first tried gyokuro I got headaches. Didn't much care for gyokuro because I could only afford the cheap stuff. I also got mild headaches from hibiki-an's fukamushi supreme which is mixed with gyokuro. However because I particularly liked the taste, I charged ahead. By about 50% through the bag I adapted and didn't get headaches anymore.

The headaches weren't like a typical stress headache, but more like a slight foggy/cloudy headache (like a mild hang over without the other badness).

I actually get the same thing with oolongs as well but it doesn't go away because I don't drink them regularly enough.

Strange how different things affect you, but eventually you can gain a tolerance.

Mar 25th, '10, 16:53

by teaisme » Mar 25th, '10, 16:53

very interesting topic

adam and beachape, how would you rate your diet ?
How much exposure do you have to synthetic chemicals like air fresheners, cologne, etc etc?

Do you have any allergies? Are you on any meds?

Any other symptoms besides headache and foggy mind?

Mar 25th, '10, 21:47

by beachape » Mar 25th, '10, 21:47

Don't think it is allergy or toxin contamination. I bet it is vasoconstiction from something other than caffeine. I can handle high caffeine sodas. However coffee some tea and small amounts of alcohol give me the same effect. If I drink two alcoholic drinks it goes away but one will give me the fog (not a regular drinker). I suppose it could be vasodilation not constriction but that would make you more lucid less foggy. All hypotheses welcome.

Ptobably glutamate or some other amino acid. Still can't drink coffee though because of gi upset. That is probably phenols and unrelated.

No food allergy only pet. No meds no medical conditions. Diet is typical student=poor.

Mar 25th, '10, 22:35

by beachape » Mar 25th, '10, 22:35

Forgot to mention about alcohol. It only happens with beer. Thus I hypothesize that the amino acids in the first beer cause vasoconstriction giving fog. Then I have the second the vasodilation of the alcohol takes over and the fog lifts.

Apr 7th, '10, 14:20

by AlexZorach » Apr 7th, '10, 14:20

Headaches are an interesting thing. I had mild headaches the first times I tried Yerba Mate, and I've heard of people experiencing the same with Rooibos. I've had headaches after consuming some decaffeinated green teas, which (combined with their total lack of flavor) is one reason I avoid them.

I've also experienced mild headaches after having green tea that was brewed strongly. I suspect deyhdration may have something to do with it. Tea generally doesn't dehydrate you, but if you make it more strongly than normal, or if you aren't used to drinking it, it can dehydrate you. Caffeine is a diuretic, and I've read that your body will adjust to the diuretic effects very quickly (a matter of days or weeks) but that if you consume a higher dose than you're adjusted to, it can lead to dehydration. And deydration is one of the major causes of headaches!

There could be something else in the tea that your body isn't used to too. And some people find headaches are triggered by certain aromas and flavors...and it's probably a combination of physical and psychological effects.

Who knows? I say, drink what makes you feel good though. If you consistently get a headache from drinking something, stop drinking it!

Apr 25th, '10, 19:17

by verus » Apr 25th, '10, 19:17

I have noticed strange stuff with some Japanese greens too. That slightly foggy feeling and also an almost euphoric feeling where I see everything much sharper. Almost reminiscent of some experiences with *ahem* other recreative chemical substances coughmarihuanacough

And yes, also some slight headaches. I really don't think it has anything to do with caffein, because I can drink liters of coffee drop without feeling anything.

Apr 26th, '10, 07:56

by Ed » Apr 26th, '10, 07:56

verus wrote:I have noticed strange stuff with some Japanese greens too. That slightly foggy feeling and also an almost euphoric feeling where I see everything much sharper. Almost reminiscent of some experiences with *ahem* other recreative chemical substances coughmarihuanacough

And yes, also some slight headaches. I really don't think it has anything to do with caffein, because I can drink liters of coffee drop without feeling anything.
:) The euphoria is probably the caffeine & l-theanine hitting your brain. Great feeling! The headaches are a mystery though. I've never experienced anything like that in years of drinking Japanese greens daily.

Apr 28th, '10, 21:04

by jpeizer » Apr 28th, '10, 21:04

Although I have never experienced this either after years of green tea drinking the green tea and headache topic is not exclusive to this board:

http://www.stjohnprovidence.org/HealthI ... px?26,3265

http://www.steadyhealth.com/is_headache ... 93306.html

Green tea has been found to have anti-allergic properties - however some people do have allergic reactions to the active ingredient: Catechin.

Typically people with allergic reactions to dark chocolate, red wine, apples & cranberries (all containing catechins) can have reactions to green tea as well.

Caffeine seems typically sited as the headache culprit

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/her ... en-tea.php

+ Post Reply