Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Apr 6th, '20, 10:49

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by NoChillGriffin » Apr 6th, '20, 10:49

Hello! This is perfect because I'm very new to Teachat.

How long have you been drinking tea?
Only about 8 years, since my internship in China and freshmen year of college.

What was your first Tea?
First tea I started making myself and not just being given is sadly Lipton. It's what was in my college cafeteria.

What is your favorite Tea currently?
Right now I have some bagged English Breakfast from Whittard's I drink during work hours and a nice blend called Ostico from Larkin Tea Company.

What is your next purchase?
I need some more Assam and am open to suggestions!

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
My couch with my electric fireplace, a blanket, and a nice show.

Apr 13th, '20, 12:27

by Toirt » Apr 13th, '20, 12:27

about 10 years

What was your first Tea?
earl grey tea still my fav

earl grey tea lol i just really like that hint of citrus

well i want to start growing my own tea so i hope some quality tea plants

my home real simple set up
i love to learn new things :D

May 5th, '20, 11:26

by JosiahB » May 5th, '20, 11:26

Hello all! My name is Josiah. I live in South Florida I the United States. I've been a member of this forum for about seven years now. I've never made a post, but I've browsed sporadically throughout the years. Decided to introduce myself now, and see about making myself a little more active on this forum!

I've been drinking tea for close to ten years now. My first tea was Japanese sencha. I fell in love, and drank sencha exclusively for several years, primarily asamushi sencha. Less frequently during this time I drank other Japanese teas; gyokuro, matcha, hojicha, bancha, and even few Japanese processed white, black, and oolong tea. I tried a handful of Chinese teas during this time, but nothing really hooked me.

Then about three or four years ago I decided to give Chinese teas a try in earnest. I tried green, white, oolong, and red teas. Honestly, I didn't try a ton of them before I found my current obsession.

Which brings me to my current favorite tea; sheng puer! I've been drinking puer (both shu and sheng, but mostly sheng) for a little over three years now. And in that time my love for this tea has only grown. I've managed to amass a collection that with over one hundred and fifty cakes and over a hundred samples, weights close to fourty two kilograms in total! Yeah, when I say "obsessed", I'm not joking.

Having tried sheng puer from many of the boutique puer vendors (Crimson Lotus, Yunnan Sourcing, Xizi Hao, Yangqing Hao, Bitterleaf, White2tea, Tea Urchin, Kuura, and more), I've decided to focus more on factory sheng at the moment, and Xiaguan is the factory my recent orders have been focused on.

My favorite place to brew tea is anywhere I have boiling water and a gaiwan!

Sorry for the terribly long introduction, and thank you if you took the time to read it.

May 6th, '20, 18:00

by OffTheBeatenShelf » May 6th, '20, 18:00

Hi tea lovers! My name is Mandy Shunnarah and I'm a writer by day, vintage seller by night, and tea drinker all the time.

I like all sorts of teas, but what brought me here is that I've been foraging and making my own tea blends lately. I forage dead nettle, dandelion, wild bergamot, etc. around my city and make my own loose leaf tea blends. I'd love to meet other tea foragers!

May 26th, '20, 09:46

by Colm » May 26th, '20, 09:46

Hey everybody.

Colm here from Ireland. Currently residing in England wishing you all well.

While growing up and for many more years I was a big regular tea drinker. I regularly used a teapot rather then throwing in the new fan-dangled teabag.

Initially I drank same as my Father and Mother which was Lyons green label and then also Barrys of Cork, Ireland.

Like so many other Irish tea drinkers I was moved along from loose tea to tea bags.

In 1994 I discovered that what was causing my lack of energy, or severe draws on my energy, was a reaction to caffeine.

‪How long have you been drinking tea?‬

‪As they say “For more years then I care to remember!”.‬

‪What was your first Tea?‬

‪Lyons green label tea and then Barry’s tea of Cork, Ireland.‬

‪What is your favorite Tea currently?‬

‪I’m back to caffeinated tea after decaf interlude since 1994 because of caffeine reactions. So I am currently hunting for a favourite.‬

‪What is your next purchase?‬

‪During the COV-19 lockdown which commenced mid March 2020 I moved to a new home and in moving I found and resurrected an open 250g box of “Tesco - Finest - Full Bodied & Bright Black Loose Leaf Tea - Best Before End December 2015”.‬

I even remember also bringing this old tea with me when I moved 2 years ago.

‪Once moved in to new home I started making a 1.5l coffee plunger pot full of old Tesco loose tea every morning. I used 2 teaspoons of loose tea. I did not go by normal methods in making the morning tea.‬

‪Now 26 May 2020 I had to start a new box of other supermarket bought loose tea and I am deeply disappointed.‬

‪So I am now wondering if a new current box of the old Tesco tea would be as good a tea experience as last 8 weeks, or was it so good because I had it in stock previously for 6 years.‬

‪Where is your favorite spot to brew up?‬

‪At the breakfast counter just like absolutely every morning for 8 weeks of live alone COV-19 lockdown cocooning since April 1st 2020.‬

Take home:

A great tea experience can be just around the corner!

Good luck y’all. C 😃

Jun 6th, '20, 16:35

by Wuyi » Jun 6th, '20, 16:35

Reb wrote: Found this site in my search for info about yixing wares, many thanks to the users who have shared their expertise and photos.

Forever. I enjoyed it even as a child.

What was your first Tea?
Lipton or Red Rose, the usual bagged orange pekoe blend sold as tea (with no qualifiers) in the USA. What actually got me into quality loose leaf tea was a bagged tea, Choice Oolong. I just enjoyed it more than anything else I was drinking at the time. I looked it up on Amazon and somebody on there talked about gongfu. The more I googled the curioser I got and here I am.

Hard to answer. Been drinking through my 2018 Darjeeling samples. I recently had a great session with New Mexico Tea’s Wuyi Rock Oolong purchased November 2017. The aroma was literally intoxicating. Also had a good session with YS AA Tie Guan Yin spring 2018. That was nice because I shared with my partner. It was his first oolong and he really enjoyed it.

I just bought lots of teas from Yunnan Sourcing and Taiwan Sourcing, so nothing for a little bit. Probably 2019 first flush Darjeelings from Upton when they come in.

Dining room table, with partner when he gets home from work.
The same thing happened to me, but with Twinings. I started drinking their tea bags to help wean myself off of sodas and happened one day to come across their loose leaf stuff in a grocery store, tried it and was blown away by the difference in quality. Prior to this I had no clue you could buy tea in loose leaf form, don't even get me started on the first time I tried a whole leaf tea.
"A cup of tea would restore my normality" - Douglas Adams

Jun 16th, '20, 19:07

by Bookishteagirl » Jun 16th, '20, 19:07

What was your first Tea?

1) I've been drinking tea since I was 12ish. I used to hate it until my sister ordered raspberry tea at Chili's. I thought it sounded cool so I tried it and the rest is history.

2) My first tea was a sip of my mom's black tea. I wanted to try it, but she warned me I would hate it. I did.

3) My favorite tea currently is Green Rooibos Bonita, Adagio tea. It's delicious iced. I actually use two teaspoons and brew it at 212 for 10 mins. It's perfection.

4) My kitchen. It's the only place I can brew up! But if I had a dream place to brew up, when we get our dream farmhouse I would like to have a room for teas and brew there while looking outside and viewing the massive property.

Jun 17th, '20, 11:09

by Bridgette » Jun 17th, '20, 11:09

Bookishteagirl wrote: How long have you been drinking tea?
What was your first Tea?

1) I've been drinking tea since I was 12ish. I used to hate it until my sister ordered raspberry tea at Chili's. I thought it sounded cool so I tried it and the rest is history.

2) My first tea was a sip of my mom's black tea. I wanted to try it, but she warned me I would hate it. I did.

3) My favorite tea currently is Green Rooibos Bonita, Adagio tea. It's delicious iced. I actually use two teaspoons and brew it at 212 for 10 mins. It's perfection.

4) My kitchen. It's the only place I can brew up! But if I had a dream place to brew up, when we get our dream farmhouse I would like to have a room for teas and brew there while looking outside and viewing the massive property.
Ah what a dream to have a tea room in your home/on your property! Hope you're able to make it happen!
Adagio Online Community Manager

Jun 23rd, '20, 16:55

by Andreas » Jun 23rd, '20, 16:55

Hi there
I'm Andreas from southern Germany, near Stuttgart
My lust for japanese Tea lasts from the early 2000nds when I was living in Munich and had a nice Tea Shop round the corner

since the 80ties
What was your first Tea?
loose leaf herbs from my great uncle, I loved agrimony tea since I was a kid
probably I have my taste for hayish grassy almost sweet notes from back then
fukamushi kabusecha karrigane and such
kirishima teas on the way from yuuki-cha
at home, sitting at my medieval chest/trunk that I have as cocktail table at the leather couch

have a look into the most interesting stuff besides two yoshiki murata knocked gyuokuro sets that are stowed away safely
pots backtofront ltr:
tokoname dragonware meiji, tokoname unknown
unknown red clay kyusu
two banko kyusu with steel mesh
a shunshu tokoname matsukawa kyusu
IMG_7860.JPG
cups backtofront ltr:
big and small black tokoname yuzamashi
a wonderfull isshin irabo yuzamashi
a small bizen yuzamashi without handle
a straight bizen cup which is very light
a 47 rhonin cup
another script cup
and a really nice hagi yaki cup in the left
there are of course other cups but I tried to select the ones I would like to know more about
IMG_7862.JPG
feel free to ask any questions
I hope we'll have a lot of nice conversations

Jun 24th, '20, 10:18

by Bridgette » Jun 24th, '20, 10:18

Andreas wrote: Hi there
I'm Andreas from southern Germany, near Stuttgart
My lust for japanese Tea lasts from the early 2000nds when I was living in Munich and had a nice Tea Shop round the corner
Welcome to TeaChat, Andreas! How nice to live next to a shop :)

Aug 29th, '20, 13:20

by Moonmoonpie30 » Aug 29th, '20, 13:20

Hi all!
My name is Alie, I live in the Netherlands and my fascination with tea began when I met up with a friend and she introduced me to loose leaf tea. That was about 13 years ago.

Pretty much all of my life. It was my standard drink with breakfast

What was your first Tea?
English blend Pickwick in tea bags

To be honest, I'm still searching for a favourite pure tea. I have several on the way. Few oolongs and a pu erh. There was a spicy Chai I really loved. It has been discontinued though and I'm still looking for a worthy replacement.

I think more oolongs to get a feel and taste for the differences and nuances.

Just at home in the living room where I have the room to go all out.
------------------------------------------------

Aug 31st, '20, 10:45

by Bridgette » Aug 31st, '20, 10:45

Moonmoonpie30 wrote: Hi all!
My name is Alie, I live in the Netherlands and my fascination with tea began when I met up with a friend and she introduced me to loose leaf tea. That was about 13 years ago.

Pretty much all of my life. It was my standard drink with breakfast

What was your first Tea?
English blend Pickwick in tea bags

To be honest, I'm still searching for a favourite pure tea. I have several on the way. Few oolongs and a pu erh. There was a spicy Chai I really loved. It has been discontinued though and I'm still looking for a worthy replacement.

I think more oolongs to get a feel and taste for the differences and nuances.

Just at home in the living room where I have the room to go all out.
------------------------------------------------
Hello Alie, welcome! Hope you find some great suggestions to find your life-long faves!

Oct 27th, '20, 00:04

by Onecream2sugars » Oct 27th, '20, 00:04

Less than a year.
What was your first Tea?
Like most, I started with cheap Red Rose bagged tea and evolved from there.
Castleton Darjeeling, but drinking a lot of Oolong lately.
On order an awaiting delivery are creamy Milk Oolong & golden Pu'er

Aug 31st, '21, 16:58

by TwoPynts » Aug 31st, '21, 16:58

It has been about 10 years since I posted on teachat so I thought I'd stop in and say hi.
Anyone from the old days still here?

Since the 2000s

What was your first Tea?
English Breakfast

Currently enjoying JusTea's NANDI GOLD from Kenya

A nice sweet and cozy Oolong.

In my Florida kitchen overlooking a lake and some wildlife.

Jan 11th, '22, 10:23

by Vonda Jo » Jan 11th, '22, 10:23

TwoPynts wrote: It has been about 10 years since I posted on teachat so I thought I'd stop in and say hi.
Anyone from the old days still here?

Since the 2000s

What was your first Tea?
English Breakfast

Currently enjoying JusTea's NANDI GOLD from Kenya

A nice sweet and cozy Oolong.

In my Florida kitchen overlooking a lake and some wildlife.
I've been drinking tea since I was little, because my dad has always made it. Because of that, I have no idea what my first tea was :lol:

My favorite tea is from The Spice and Tea Exchange. It's called Mint-Chilla Chai-Nilla Pu-erh tea. It's actually the first (and only!) pu-erh tea I've ever tried!

My next purchase will probably be more tea from The Spice and Tea exchange. In terms of bagged tea, it'll probably be white Prince of Peace tea...they come in packs of 100, so... :D

My favorite spot to brew up is at home in my kitchen. In the winter, there's a super cozy feel to brewing hot tea.

Thank you for asking these questions!

+ Post Reply