Tea That Tastes Like Grape

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 1st 10 10:09 pm
Posts: 83
Joined: May 22nd 10 8:21 pm

Tea That Tastes Like Grape

by Cael » Jul 1st 10 10:09 pm

I thought I would put this out there, because I'm having a hard time identifying this tea. The person at the tea shop was entirely not helpful either, although I was told that the owner of the shop would have known.

I have a tea that at the second brew it starts to taste like bitter sweet grapes and swiss chard. I really like it, but I'm not sure what type of tea it is. It is definitely a black tea, but I haven't had a black tea that tastes like this before.

The leaves are also all chopped up, so I can't see what the whole leaf would have looked like. Tasting the leaves themselves they are kind of chewy. The flavor of the grape doesn't really hit until the bottom of the first cup and is much more prominent in the second cup.

Anyone have any ideas?

User avatar
Jul 1st 10 11:01 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Tea That Tastes Like Grape

by Victoria » Jul 1st 10 11:01 pm

My guess is that it is a Second Flush Darjeeling.
Read the description for the Sungma Second Flush
Last tea listed here:
http://teaemporium.net/2ndFlush_DarjeelingTea_2010.asp

User avatar
Jul 2nd 10 12:11 am
Posts: 2000
Joined: Mar 3rd 09 10:18 pm

Re: Tea That Tastes Like Grape

by entropyembrace » Jul 2nd 10 12:11 am

yes, almost for sure a 2nd flush darjeeling :)

Jul 2nd 10 2:22 pm
Posts: 83
Joined: May 22nd 10 8:21 pm

Re: Tea That Tastes Like Grape

by Cael » Jul 2nd 10 2:22 pm

Thank you. I had considered that, but usually darjeelings that I have had, first or second flush have a more complex flavor profile for the first steep than this one did. Since there are other people who weren't influenced by a suggestion that it might be, I feel a little more confident in it.