2000 Pu-erh Mini Brick

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 13th, '10, 17:18

2000 Pu-erh Mini Brick

by TwoPynts » Jul 13th, '10, 17:18

I just got some 2000 Mini Pu-erh Tea Brick from PuerhShop.com. It is my first time experiencing pu, though I could swear I've had something similar at restaurants. I rather liked it, though don't really have anything to compare it to yet. It seems like this batch has been available for a while and I was wondering what other members here thought of it.
Thanks.

Jul 13th, '10, 17:39

Re: 2000 Pu-erh Mini Brick

by brian » Jul 13th, '10, 17:39

I'm no pu expert but I have had the mini-brick and I enjoyed it, I thought it was a really good value. The chopped leaves make it a bit of a mess to brew, but with a careful pour most of it will stay in the pot. It has a nice, full flavor, and seems that it's pretty easy for a beginner (like me) to get a good cup. VERY short infusions for the first few, with that chopped up leaf it gets strong in a hurry, although I don't remember every having any problem with bitterness.

Jul 13th, '10, 18:10

by shogun89 » Jul 13th, '10, 18:10

I had it about 3 years ago and still have some lying around. I will brew it up for the first time since then and tell you what I think.

Jul 14th, '10, 09:51

by TwoPynts » Jul 14th, '10, 09:51

Thanks Brian and Shogun89. Being a pu-erh beginner I value the feedback. I realize it is probably pretty low on the scale of true quality shu's, but the price is hard to beat and the results are good, so that's what really matters, right? For what it is, it seems to be a good value, and I look forward to brewing up some more this morning and seeing how my second experience with it goes. It did get a little bitter for me by the fourth infusion, but that is probably more my fault than the tea's. :oops:

On a side note, I have a 2006 Haiwan Ripe Pu-erh Tribute Brick (100g) shipping from Yunnan Sourcing. Any ideas what I can expect from that? I've read that "tribute" tea was historically tea reserved for the monarchy, but is there anything else that sets it apart in this day and age :?:

Jul 15th, '10, 00:42

by shogun89 » Jul 15th, '10, 00:42

Alrighty, so I finished up 4 brews with the brick in a 130 ml. yixing. Overall not to bad actually. It is a pretty standard shu, got that deep woody flavor and kinda marshy but not the offensive fishy taste, which I attribute is because of the age. It was pretty smooth, sweet, simple and honest. My one complaint is that it didnt have much character. It tasted the same over and over again and just kinda lacked body and the nice silky feeling that I get from say my '03 CNNP 7581. I might add that I hate the chopped up leaves...

For the Haiwan brick. I have not had this but it looks to be yummy. lots of buds which is nice to see in a shu puerh so hopefully you will see a bold cup there. shouldn't be any Wou Dui (spelling may be off?) which is the fermented taste cause it has a few years on it. If you enjoyed the mini bricks I think you are in for a treat.

Jul 15th, '10, 13:49

by TwoPynts » Jul 15th, '10, 13:49

shogun89 wrote:Alrighty, so I finished up 4 brews with the brick in a 130 ml. yixing. Overall not to bad actually. It is a pretty standard shu, got that deep woody flavor and kinda marshy but not the offensive fishy taste, which I attribute is because of the age. It was pretty smooth, sweet, simple and honest. My one complaint is that it didnt have much character. It tasted the same over and over again and just kinda lacked body and the nice silky feeling that I get from say my '03 CNNP 7581. I might add that I hate the chopped up leaves...
Thanks Shogun, that is what I was looking for. I didn't detect marshy, but perhaps I don't have the experience yet. I felt the 2nd and 3rd infusions had the best flavor. Pretty straight forward though, as you say.

I just checked the '03 CNNP 7581 over at Yunnan Sourcing and added a sample size to my wish list. Any others I should consider?
shogun89 wrote:For the Haiwan brick. I have not had this but it looks to be yummy. lots of buds which is nice to see in a shu puerh so hopefully you will see a bold cup there. shouldn't be any Wou Dui (spelling may be off?) which is the fermented taste cause it has a few years on it. If you enjoyed the mini bricks I think you are in for a treat.
Nice. I will be sure to share my tasting notes and perhaps some photos. And thanks for defining Wou Dui, I saw it mentioned in another thread and was going to ask. :)

I've been reading back through http://puerh.blogspot.com/ to educate myself and always come across unfamiliar terms. So much tea, so little time. :wink:

Jul 16th, '10, 11:26

by TwoPynts » Jul 16th, '10, 11:26

I over brewed the mini brick this morning at work (by several minutes) and was afraid that it would be too bitter. It had a bit more bite at the back of the throat, but it actually held up well and has variations on the barky and hay flavors that I didn't detect before. Still not complex, but nice.

Jul 20th, '10, 13:53

by TwoPynts » Jul 20th, '10, 13:53

Still making my way through this tea.

I had some pan seared spinach the other night and thought to myself, "Wow, that's the flavor I was noticing". Only not quite as strong and spinach. I'm enjoying some of this tea now with stir fried noodles,garlic, red onion and mushrooms. It complements it well (especially after it has cooled a bit).

Sep 3rd, '10, 16:33

by TwoPynts » Sep 3rd, '10, 16:33

shogun89 wrote:...If you enjoyed the mini bricks I think you are in for a treat.
Indeedy!
The 2006 Haiwan Tribute Brick is very enjoyable.
Great Cha qi and very cooling. Made it with more leaf today and the woody flavor comes out with a slight bit of smoke. Cooling mouthfeel/aftertaste for quite a while afterward.

+ Post Reply