Matcha nausea??!!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 9th, '10, 18:58

Matcha nausea??!!

by Tea4Todd » Sep 9th, '10, 18:58

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's because I have had matcha on an empty stomach before, but my few experiences with matcha have left me with a horrible stomach ache and very nauseous. I was wondering if anyone else other than me has experienced this before? Are there incorrect ways to make matcha that could contribute to someone feeling nauseous?

Sep 9th, '10, 19:06

Re: Matcha nausea??!!

by britt » Sep 9th, '10, 19:06

Tea4Todd wrote:Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's because I have had matcha on an empty stomach before, but my few experiences with matcha have left me with a horrible stomach ache and very nauseous. I was wondering if anyone else other than me has experienced this before? Are there incorrect ways to make matcha that could contribute to someone feeling nauseous?
Others have mentioned this with matcha as well as gyokuro and even sencha. I experienced a mild version of this once with gyokuro and once with matcha when I accidently dumped too much in the chawan. For me, though, it has been very rare with Japanese tea but more common with Chinese and Taiwanese tea brewed gong fu style. I think it's just a case of brewing too strong.

I typically have matcha in the morning well before I eat anything but the incident mentioned above was the only time I had an issue with it.

Sep 9th, '10, 19:26

by laura99 » Sep 9th, '10, 19:26

I am one of those that sencha will cause nausea for me first thing in the morning, so it would not surprise me to find the same with Matcha. Since I had already discovered this, when I started trying out Matcha it was always later morning.

Its a shame, as starting the day with a good green tea would be wonderful! I like to enjoy a cup of tea before breaking fast, and usually do so with yunnan black.

Sep 9th, '10, 19:44

by Tea4Todd » Sep 9th, '10, 19:44

Hmm, I've only noticed it with matcha, but the other day I drank A LOT of oolong, that I had brewed pretty strong, and I also felt a little nauseous afterward, I wonder what it is in tea that causes this? Is it the caffeine?

Sep 9th, '10, 19:54

by Katy1977 » Sep 9th, '10, 19:54

I have also felt nauseous after over brewing tea when it became bitter, I think it might have something to do with the tannins in tea, I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.

Katy1977

Sep 9th, '10, 20:00

by Tobias » Sep 9th, '10, 20:00

That happened to me a few years ago when first tried some (low quality) green tea, when I drank green tea in the morning before breakfast it actually made me throw up.

Sep 9th, '10, 20:03

by Tea4Todd » Sep 9th, '10, 20:03

Katy1977 wrote:I have also felt nauseous after over brewing tea when it became bitter, I think it might have something to do with the tannins in tea, I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.

Katy1977
Well, there is a high quantity of tannins in Wine as well, and I've never gotten stomach upset from that, if I do feel nauseous from wine it's for alcohol reasons lol....although, my mother seems to have a specific problem with tannins, and tea for that matter, she can't drink it at all, it gives her acid reflux like symptoms. She can only drink herbal teas with no actual tea leaf in them.

Sep 9th, '10, 20:05

by Tea4Todd » Sep 9th, '10, 20:05

Tobias wrote:That happened to me a few years ago when first tried some (low quality) green tea, when I drank green tea in the morning before breakfast it actually made me throw up.
I got it during different hours of the day, I remember all the times being on an empty stomach though...I wonder if it's the concentration of the tea that makes it give that effect? I am curious now as to what the real reason is. I did a little research and I read that the increase in caffeine content, but I find this to be untrue as I used to take straight caffeine pills for weightlifting and never had that affect. Plus, the caffeine in tea is minimal compared to other sources

Sep 9th, '10, 20:27

by mbishop » Sep 9th, '10, 20:27

I wouldn't drink any caffeinated beverage on an empty stomach. Coffee used to really mess me up on an empty stomach. Haven't even tried it with tea, just to be safe :P

Sep 9th, '10, 20:29

by Tea4Todd » Sep 9th, '10, 20:29

mbishop wrote:I wouldn't drink any caffeinated beverage on an empty stomach. Coffee used to really mess me up on an empty stomach. Haven't even tried it with tea, just to be safe :P
I wonder if it's a combination of the tea being hot, mixed with the tannins, and the caffeine...that could make some sort of nausea cocktail lol

Sep 9th, '10, 20:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 9th, '10, 20:29

I never drink matcha on an empty stomach ... case solved.

Sep 9th, '10, 21:07

by Kunkali » Sep 9th, '10, 21:07

I think you may just be pregnant, Todd ;)

Sep 9th, '10, 21:08
Vendor Member

by IPT » Sep 9th, '10, 21:08

Many years ago, I would have that problem first thing in the morning, but it doesn't bother me anymore. My breakfast ususally begins with a few pots of tea now. I think your stomach gets used to it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though.

Sep 9th, '10, 21:41

by Kunkali » Sep 9th, '10, 21:41

Tea will increase acid production which is why it's said to be a good digestive aid. If you want to drink tea in the morning but don't want to eat a meal just take a little protein with it like a few bites of yogurt or some cheese...it'll act as a buffer.

Sep 9th, '10, 22:37

by entropyembrace » Sep 9th, '10, 22:37

i have this problem with most teas...sencha is actually one of the worst for me...i just make sure to eat something with or before i drink tea. I did have matcha with no food once and was ok even i have issues drinking most other teas on an empty stomach

+ Post Reply