Mar 31st, '06, 21:33

Spout filters for basket teapots

by kodama » Mar 31st, '06, 21:33

I recently got a teapot that I like very much (Japanese, but western style handle), but it only has a small basket filter. I like Oolongs and gemmai, both of which NEED room to expand, and I also like to resteep many times, making a pour-through filter inconvenient.

Since I don't usually drink finely chopped teas like some black blends, my favorite kind of filter (common in Japan) is the ceramic or mesh hemisphere around the base of the spout that keeps the leaves in the pot but lets them float loose in it.

Is it easy to either make or buy one of these for a teapot? How?

Mar 31st, '06, 21:45

by jogrebe » Mar 31st, '06, 21:45

Hm, that should be fairly easy to make and it could be as simple as taking a tea ball, cutting it in half and duct taping half of it to outside of the tea pot to hold it in place. Although if you don't want to go for the Red Green style handyman look I'd recommend considering picking up a Swiss Gold tea ball as they are really over sized to allow room for the tea to expand, which you can pick up here from Stash.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 31st, '06, 22:36

by Warden Andy » Mar 31st, '06, 22:36

I also just got a Japanese style teapot. I know what you mean by the basket being too small. Even when I brewed some Sencha in it, which has small broken leaves, they expanded enough to overfill the basket. I couldn't imagine trying to brew wulongs in it.

You probably could try tearing out the mesh of the basket, and stuffing it up the spout (neatly). Just try to get it to stick up there.

Or you might want to consider getting a Yixing teapot for wulongs. They have a filter built in (a clay filter, not a stainless steel filter like in Japanese teapots) and will brew wulong better than a porcelain Japanese teapot.

Mar 31st, '06, 23:21

by yresim » Mar 31st, '06, 23:21

I really like the kind of strainers that you sit on top of your teacup. Like the tea strainer by G & H.
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Apr 1st, '06, 16:29

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 1st, '06, 16:29

Kodama, I think you'll be happy with any of the Swiss Gold filters/infusers you'll find at Stash dot com. They're pretty and work well.

Yresim, thank you for the link to Coffee Tea & Thee. What beautiful teapots and cups! That's my favorite way to enjoy tea...along with good friends, of course.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 1st, '06, 17:20

by divinemercy » Apr 1st, '06, 17:20

If you're up for the challenge of making it look nice, I would suggest that you go to the local hardware store, or craft store, and find a roll of fine mesh that is the gauge you desire. Then you would measure the diameter of the spout of your teapot, and cut a piece of that mesh that it the same size as the whole in the spout. Then you can use a super glue, gorrilla glue, or even a specialized ceramics glue to apply the mesh to the teapots spout.

If you do not like the looks of it after that, you can do something very similar, but much more descrete and cool (in my opinion)... Basically you do the same thing, except that instead of applying the mesh to the end of the spout, you would cut a much larger piece and actually glue it to the INSIDE of the pot, completely covering where the tea enters into the spout. make sure that you cut a large enough piece of mesh to leave a good size rim so that you will have a surface to put the adhesive on.

In this way you will have a perfect strainer that strains the leaves before they even get into the spout, and it is completely invisible from the outside. Plus you will avoid any clogs that straining at the end of the spout could cause occasionally..

I hope those sound good. Im new to teas, but not to crafts, so you should look into the second one especially. If you are unsure about a good adhesive that will last when it is covered in hot liquid, simply ask the sales associates at your local craft store for help. I am quite sure that you can do this!

Good luck and good drinking,
Ryan
All great men have one thing in common: they all have a great personaliTEA.

Apr 2nd, '06, 16:05

by kodama » Apr 2nd, '06, 16:05

My infuser takes up 1/2 of the pot already, so no bigger infuser would be any good, and I would not be reusing all of the tea if it was caught at the end of the spout. I don't want to cut up the basket in case I fail, but I will look for some mesh and try to just cut-n-stuff it into the base of the spout.

Apr 4th, '06, 17:41

by MarshalN » Apr 4th, '06, 17:41

If you are resteeping many times anyway, I'd second the suggestion of buying a Yixing pot that has a filter built in.

Depending on where you're located (and where you travel), you may be able to find a reasonable one.

Apr 4th, '06, 19:12

by kodama » Apr 4th, '06, 19:12

If I can find a decent looking one in chinatown for >15 I will get it, but I am currently rather broke.

Apr 4th, '06, 19:21

by jogrebe » Apr 4th, '06, 19:21

kodama wrote:If I can find a decent looking one in chinatown for >15 I will get it, but I am currently rather broke.
Make sure you get one that is certified to be safe for food use (I've heard that some of the real cheap ones are tainted with lead). If you are looking for a cheap and safe one try http://www.enjoyingtea.com/... just if you order be sure to sign up for their mailing list first as it will give you a 15% off code to use on your order.
John Grebe

~C. S. Lewis

Apr 4th, '06, 19:57

by MarshalN » Apr 4th, '06, 19:57

Ah, jogrebe, I see where you got your pot for puerh. Those pots they sell are all rather big though.

Funalliance sells pots too, but they're not cheap (IMO overpriced a bit)

Apr 4th, '06, 20:15

by jogrebe » Apr 4th, '06, 20:15

If they are too big simply only fill them up part of the way and they do have at least one that is only 5 oz if that is what you are after. I've been satisfied with the quality and personally I could not justify spending more for a smaller more traditional pot.
John Grebe

~C. S. Lewis

Apr 5th, '06, 00:59

by Marlene » Apr 5th, '06, 00:59

MarshalN wrote:Ah, jogrebe, I see where you got your pot for puerh. Those pots they sell are all rather big though.

Funalliance sells pots too, but they're not cheap (IMO overpriced a bit)
I like Kam's site. I've yet to order a pot from him yet, although I've ordered several teas. It does seem more expensive, until you figure in the shipping on other sites.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Apr 5th, '06, 09:22

by kodama » Apr 5th, '06, 09:22

By the way, I went for it and cut the filter for one of my two teapots. I cut it into a diamond with the flatter corners rounded out. It stuffs easily around the rim of the base of the spout, and the long corners make it removable. I am yet to make tea with it, but it is a snug fit.

Apr 5th, '06, 11:49

by MarshalN » Apr 5th, '06, 11:49

Good luck! Hope it works out.

+ Post Reply