Oct 5th, '10, 14:27
Scrolling: scrolling

Glass v Banko v Shigaraki

by Herb_Master » Oct 5th, '10, 14:27

Hui received us warmly, she seemed to know all about Teachat.

I started talking about Banko and Shigaraki and she was straight into her water tasting routine.

The water was boiled in a standard electric kettle and then poured into a Glass Pitcher, Banko pot, and Shigaraki - from these into 3 identical tasting cups for each of us.

Somewhat spellbound I had not even thought about taking my camera out.

After several musings and some hmming and hah-ing on my part we went on to try the same routine with an oolong, some Fu Tea, and a lao Ban Zhang.

This time the tea brewed in a Glass teapot [partially seen to the extreme left of photo]

before going into the Glass Pitcher

One by one we tried each tea from each source

Glass

Banko

Shigaraki

one by one I tasted and compared,

re tasted and recompared - but alas I could not tell anything other than the minutest of differences.

NOW the difference is supposed to be that the Banko and Shigaraki both produce sweeter water, and enhance difference aspects of the teas that are used.

The difference is supposed to be so great that the water, and then tea (having been brewed in Glass), only spent a few seconds or so in the Banko and the Shigaraki before being dispensed.

Might I have noticed the difference more pronounced if the infusion had taken place in the pots? If I bought one I would not want to use it as a faircup [steady Chip :D Not even I]

The price in the shop as has been commented elsewhere is significantly higher than online - when I mentioned this - Hui without batting an eyelid said it would make more sense to buy online, there were no overheads to take care of and the shop sales were subject to a sales tax that the online sales escaped.

Well - I bought some Glass faircups, some Lao Ban Zhang, and a few other small items that escape me now.

I mentioned to Hui that we were visiting Penang, and she mentioned she was from Penang, and would email us with info on Penang Tea Shops

Great service.

Hui fell in love with tea and applied to join Hojo and move down to KL, Hojo has not spared any expense on helping her to increase her knowledge - regularly sending her on training and appreciation / development courses.

Oct 5th, '10, 14:31

Re: Glass v Banko v Shigaraki

by TwoPynts » Oct 5th, '10, 14:31

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Oct 5th, '10, 14:39

by Alex » Oct 5th, '10, 14:39

Nice read

Oct 5th, '10, 14:41

by Herb_Master » Oct 5th, '10, 14:41

I have posted the contents of Hui's Email in the teamap section, so if you are ever going to Penang it may be useful

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14058

Oct 5th, '10, 15:53

by Chip » Oct 5th, '10, 15:53

Hui received us warmly, she seemed to know all about Teachat.
Great opening line, you got my attention! :mrgreen:

Very interesting post and experience, thanks HM!

Glad to see you did not buy a 250 USD fair cup. :lol:

Oct 5th, '10, 16:01

by entropyembrace » Oct 5th, '10, 16:01

I think that yes brewing the tea in the pots would make quite a bit more difference than pouring the tea or water through them...It would give interaction between the leaves, water and pot and more time for whatever chemical processes are involved to happen.

I can certainly taste a difference brewing sencha in my glass pot vs my tokoname...glass the tea comes out sweeter and more soupy, tokoname brews the same tea as more refreshing and astringent...the effects are similar for all the senchas I have tried in both. I´m sure if I brewed the tea in the same vessel with water poured through different pots I would not notice so much, or maybe any, difference.

Oct 5th, '10, 16:49

by Herb_Master » Oct 5th, '10, 16:49

Chip wrote:
But I have orderd one for 16000 JY :oops:

When I entered the shop those in the shop were all that were available, whilst there the phone rang and after taking the call Hui informed me that she had just been notified that another batch had become available :D

was this serendipity or a great sales technique :?:

Oct 5th, '10, 17:12

by Chip » Oct 5th, '10, 17:12

Herb_Master wrote: was this serendipity or a great sales technique :?:
If Hui ever joins TeaChat, I will be sure to ask her! :mrgreen:

Oct 5th, '10, 18:47

by Mr. Usaji » Oct 5th, '10, 18:47

Very interesting. I can't believe the Hojo staff know all about TeaChat!

Were you the first customers who didn't notice a difference in the taste?

Oct 5th, '10, 20:54

by auhckw » Oct 5th, '10, 20:54

Mr. Usaji wrote:Very interesting. I can't believe the Hojo staff know all about TeaChat!
Both Hui and Mr Hojo himself are very aware of TeaChat. They are even aware of our posting about their products.

Not only Hojo's staff, there is another local tea shop here in malaysia that is aware of TeaChat cause I was once at the teashop and the guy said, aren't you the guy that posted in TeaChat :roll:

Oct 5th, '10, 21:06

by auhckw » Oct 5th, '10, 21:06

Herb_Master wrote:
Chip wrote:
But I have orderd one for 16000 JY :oops:

When I entered the shop those in the shop were all that were available, whilst there the phone rang and after taking the call Hui informed me that she had just been notified that another batch had become available :D

was this serendipity or a great sales technique :?:
Next time when you are in Malaysia, and If Mr Hojo is in Malaysia too... try make appointment and visit their office. He will have more time sharing his experience/tea with you there.

At the office, you will be able to see what they have stocked up. There are shelves with many boxes lined up nicely with tea and pots/cups in them. There is also a big refrigerator. You can also see their packing room with those vacuum pack machine.

They even have a tea tasting long table. That table is where they taste and compare tea. They will line up the tea tasting cups in a row, then taste em. The table is a bit slanting and there is a water release button to wash the table automatically.

Oct 5th, '10, 23:44

by Chip » Oct 5th, '10, 23:44

They even have a tea tasting long table. That table is where they taste and compare tea. They will line up the tea tasting cups in a row, then taste em. The table is a bit slanting and there is a water release button to wash the table automatically.
I want to see that tea tasting room and table! :mrgreen:

Oct 6th, '10, 01:25

by Tead Off » Oct 6th, '10, 01:25

Chip wrote:
I want to see that tea tasting room and table! :mrgreen:
In the shop, they have a beautiful tea tray bought in Taiwan. Stone, I believe. I saw similar ones in Korea but all made in Taiwan. Very expensive. Beautiful.

Oct 6th, '10, 04:19

by Herb_Master » Oct 6th, '10, 04:19

Stone seems to be the in thing in Kuala Lumpur right now for tea trays.

At Evergreen in Jalan Sultan they have a fantastic selection of cut stone resting in bamboo or hardwood cradles. I was determined to get one despite the price.

But I failed, because when I was at Purple Cane HQ at Shaw Parade I fell in love with a smaller travelling tea tray (also with some stone) - I must get around to photographing it!

Oct 6th, '10, 08:43

by auhckw » Oct 6th, '10, 08:43

Herb_Master wrote:Stone seems to be the in thing in Kuala Lumpur right now for tea trays.

At Evergreen in Jalan Sultan they have a fantastic selection of cut stone resting in bamboo or hardwood cradles. I was determined to get one despite the price.

But I failed, because when I was at Purple Cane HQ at Shaw Parade I fell in love with a smaller travelling tea tray (also with some stone) - I must get around to photographing it!
I'm getting quite irritated by my bamboo tray. The smell of bamboo is so strong when it is in contact with hot water/tea.

Sounds like a stone resting in bamboo or hardwood cradle should have no problem with that. Roughly how much is the price range?

+ Post Reply